M. S., male, on the Zionist resistance in Budapest in 1944–1945


Testimony of M. S., a conservative Zionist leader and a member of the Palestine Office on Zionist rescue activities in Budapest and the history of the “Glass House”.


Document Text

  1. English
  2. Hungarian

Text from page1
The person in question has given us the following information:

As a start, I have to comment that all actions, processes, and negotiations that regard either the times before Vadász Street or the emigration, e.g. the letters of protection, the protected houses, etc. were initiated and thought out by the Budapest office (the Palestine Office) of the Jewish Agency and by the Palestine Committee. The key and the condition of the success of these activities was the good rapport that existed between the Swiss Consulate (e.g. the consul) and the Palestine Office. It was the Swiss Consulate, or more precisely, its special department called Delegation of Foreign Interests that represented the interests of both England and the US after they declared war and also the case of emigration to Palestine, that is, the interests of the people who wished to emigrate to Palestine. I have to add right away that as far as circumstances allowed the consulate, especially consul Charles Lutz, did a great work representing these interests. The friendship that evolved through the permanent contact between consulLutz and the head of the Palestine Office, Miklós Krausz was of great use both concerning these initiations and their successful execution. This friendship let its beneficial influence felt in all activities of Vadász Street. The establishing of the Vadász Street office was in particular the merit of Miklós Krausz, which he – as a Zionist and the representative of Szochnut in Hungary - wanted to use for saving Zionist youth and cháluc figures, that is, people who were so important for the Jewish population and for Palestine. Around the end of May, 1944, it became obvious to all of us that the so-called Kasztner-group would not leave the country soon, or if it set off its way would not go through Romania and the destination would not be Palestine. We also understood that this kind of action would not lead to the rescue of great masses of Jews from the clutch of Germans and of the Arrow Cross. We had to find new ways for rescuing Jewish people without delay.

Text from page2
Deportations in the country were already going on, and we already had testimonies regarding the dismay of Auschwitz, thanks to a few Polish and Slovakian chalucs who had successfully escaped. Therefore Krausz’s proposal regarding the awakening of the public opinion abroad as our most urgent duty was evident. He collected data concerning deportations in Hungary with details of all the misery involved and attached to them to the testimonies regarding Auschwitz. He sent these documents to various Swiss Embassies and had them delivered to the US, to England and to the Pope. He asked these governments to put pressure on the Nazi government to stop this horror and to intervene in the interest of the emigration of the Jews who remained still in Hungary. This was carried to abroad - thanks to consulLutz – by a Swiss courier, and the results followed surprisingly fast. These data and testimonies got to Roosevelt, Churchill, and the Pope as we learnt from Swiss journals sent to us a few weeks later. (Some journals published our material word by word, like the Neue Züricher Zeitung on the deportation from Nyíregyháza). The three governments commandingly intervened, and this reached the Hungarian government June the 17th. When in the following few weeks negotiations between the Swiss Embassy and the Hungarian government still did not have any result this intervention was forcefully reasserted. (By the great bombings of June and in particular of July.)

The commanding ultimatum addressing the Hungarian government was mediated by the Swiss government. Consul Lutz received a long dispatch in which his government certified to have received our material and instructed him to personally deliver the aforementioned forceful letter of intervention from the part of the great political powers. Several of us were present when he asked for an urgent audience from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the phone. And when the deputy minister asked something we could not hear he forcefully answered: No, Sir, exceptionally it regards not my government. I want to pass on information coming from the American government.

ConsulLutz’s intervention in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not meet considerable resistance. There were some people also there who could observe the state of affairs objectively and took forthcoming events into consideration. However, they emphasised that this case did not depend on the Hungarian government but on the Germans.

But it appeared that similar actions had their effects also in Berlin. A few days later, a new dispatch came from Switzerland in which the Swiss government instructed Lutz to get prepared for the negotiations and start preparing the emigration since German Foreign Ministry in principle had given its consent. Already the day after the Hungarian government invited consul Lutz for an audience. Early in the morning a meeting started in the Ministry of the Interior which lasted until late afternoon, where only the head of the Palestine Office, Miklós Krausz was invited on behalf of the Jews. Almost all ministries together and also the National Central Authority for Controlling Foreigners were represented on this meeting, where the German ambassador’s deputy appeared as well.

Text from page3
The infamous gendarme Lieutenant Colonel Ferenczy was also invited, probably as a known expert of transports.

The representative of the foreign ministry officially confirmed that the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs had approved the emigration of those who had a certificate. Further, he announced the decision of the Hungariangovernment to halt deportations and labour service conscriptions till the alia was not concluded (till the 31st of August). Later, the number of emigrants and details of their travel were discussed.

The idea of protected houses - as places where the people who intended to alia could be gathered - was first raised on this meeting.

The story of Vadász-Street started here. We moved into the building in the middle of July. Collective passport and the Schutzpass that resulted from it were made here. Next to the 60-80,000 peoplesaved by having a Schutzpass, this place gave asylum to 2,600 Jews, amongst them great masses of the Zionist youth, who organised and led illegal and underground actions.

To be loyal to historical truth I also need to mention that among the protected people of Vadász Street there were quite a number of non-Jew leftists together with their numerous relatives. An evening in December, I witnessed how three women blue from the cold asked for asylum at least for a night at the gate claiming to have been relatives of hunted leftists. As several people of the leftist fraction confirmed their identity they were let in and it was only natural that no one asked them later to leave.

We should not be surprised therefore that the terrorist attempts on the banquet of the Arrow Cross in the city theatre were claimed to have originated from Vadász Street. This was followed by the gendarmes’ raid the 4th of December at daybreak, which commenced with a long series of shots in the street, and men with the sickle-feather appeared on the roofs. Luckily, the main entrance to the street was well barred so they could not get in. The head of the gendarmes’ squad started a long debate and negotiation with our leaders – in particular with Artúr Weisz. The commander warned us that he would got the house searched by his own men unless we handed over the terrorists who attacked the City Theatre and all the available weapons. Although we did not know the men they wanted we did know about weapons. We started an endless number of telephone calls calling the Ministry of the Interior, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the city military headquarters and other places. Finally, we achieved that around noon the gendarmes temporarily left, but we could not foresee when we would meet them again.

Text from page4
Although gendarmes did not return it became obvious that we would not be spared trouble.

A sign of this was the visit of two detectives from the so-called National Committee of for Calling to Account one morning in Vadász Street. Their visit regarded again forged Schutzpasses but they were also deeply interested in the huge mass of people accommodated in the building. They did not hide their opinion that the whole building of the Embassy was just a great hiding place, and told us that they were going to give their report directly to the leading brother of the nation and we could hope for great clearing actions against us in the forthcoming days.

At the same time our agents frequently reported that the Arrow Cross of the Garrison Albrecht was getting prepared for an action against Vadász Street. The first reports were quite fantastic. According to these the project was to lead us into the caves of Pálvölgy and then to kill us with grenades. Later, we heard about only the killing. Hence, it was not a great surprise for our leaders when a squad of the Arrow Cross entered the building shooting around with their machineguns and throwing grenades the 31st of December. This break-in resulted in the death of three and in 17 injuries and it was a fortune that we could save the people drove out of the house to the street of being taken away using our rapports to the city military headquarters and to the police headquarters. This way we particularly upset the Arrow Cross squad and this led to the capture of Artúr Weisz, a heroic figure and comrade, the day after.

After this event, the bandits of the Arrow Cross broke in regularly. It is hard to tell how we could have saved the gathered mass if we had not been liberated January the 18th.

Text from page1

Fentnevezett a következőket adja elő:

Mindenekelőtt szükségesnek tartom megjegyezni, hogy mindazon munkálatok, eljárások, tárgyalások, amelyek akár a Vadáaz-utcát megelőző időkre, akár a kivándorlásra, vagy védlevelekre, védett házakra, stb. vonatkoznak, mindezek elejétől végig a Jewish Agencybudapesti (Palesztina Hivatalának, illetve az akkori Palesztina-Bizottságnak közbenjöttével és kezdeményezése mellett jöttek létre. A sikeres munkának előfeltételét és alapját az a jó viszony képezte és tette lehetővé, amely az akkori svájci konzulátus, illetve annak vezetője és a Palesztina-Hivatal között fennállott. A svájci konzulátus, illetve annak Idegen Érdekek Képviselete nevű különhivatala volt az, amely az angol és amerikaihadüzenet után ezen államok képviselete mellett a Palesztinába irányuló kivándorlás ügyét és a kivándorolni szándékozókérdekét képviselte és meg kell állapítanom - s ez különösen Charles Lutzkonzul munkájára vonatkozik - a körülményekhez képest tőle telhetőén derekasan képviselte. Nagy segítségére szolgált úgy a kezdeményezésnek, mint a sikeres végrehajtásnak az a baráti jó viszony, amely az állandó érintkezés folytán Lutzkonzul és a Palesztína-Hivatal vezetője, Krausz Miklós között kialakult és amelynek jó hatása Vadász-utcai munkánkkal szemben mindvégig megmutatkozott. Krausz Miklós érdemének tudható be különösen a Vadasz-utcai felállítása, amellyel, mint cionista és mint a Szochmutmagyarországi megbízottja a cionista ifjúság, és á cháluci elemek a zsidóságés Palesztina szempontjából oly fontos rétegét akarta megmenteni.

1944. május vége felé mindannyiunk előtt nyilvánvalóvá lett, hogy az u. n. Kasstner-féle csoport nem fog egyhamar elindulni, és ha igen, nem Románia irányában és nem palesztinai rendeltetéssel. Nyilvánvalóvá vált előttünk az is, hogy ily módon nagyobb zsidó tömegek kivándoroltatása és a német és nyilas karmokból való kimentése nem lesz lehetséges. Haladéktalanul más irányú mentési munkálatokhoz kellett folyamodni. A vidéki deportálások ekkor már nagyban folytak, néhány szerencsésen megszökött lengyel és szlovák chaluc jóvoltából az auschwitzi szörnyűségekről szóló jegyzőkönyvek is már kezeink között

Text from page2
voltak. Kézenfekvő volt tehát Krausz azon gondolata, hogy a legelső és legsürgősebb teendő a külföldi közvélemény felrázása. Összegyűjtötte tehát a magyardeportálásra vonatkozó adatokat a szörnyűségek leírásával együtt és azokat az auschwitzi jegyzőkönyvek csatolása mellett azzal küldte meg a svájci zsidó képviseletekhez, hogy azokatAmerikába, Angliába és a pápához juttassák el, kérvén ezeket a kormányokat, vessék latba minden befolyásukat a náci kormánynál a szörnyűségek abbahagyása, és illetve a magyar zsidóság még itt lévő tömegeinekkivándoroltatása érdekében. Az értesítést Lutzkonzul jóvoltából június elején egy svájci futár vitte ki s az eredmény meglepő gyorsasággal következett be, Az adatok és közlések,- mint néhány héttel később a hozzánk eljuttatott svájci lapokból megtudtuk,-/ néhány újság a kijuttatott anyagot szó szerint közölte, pl. a Neue Züricher Zeitung a nyíregyházaideportálás lö Írását/ Svájc útján Roosevelt, Churchill és apápa elé jutottak. A három kormány erélyes intervenciója június 17.-én a magyarkormányhoz meg is érkezett. Mikor a következő hetek folyamán a svájciak es a magyarkormány közötti tárgyalások kézzelfogható eredményre még mindig nem vezettek, ezen intervenciójuknak külön nyomatékot is adtak., / A júniusi és főleg júliusi hatalmas bombázások./

A magyarkormánynak szóló erélyes ultimátumot a svájci kormány közvetítette. Lutzkonzul kapta kézhez a terjedelmes sürgönyt, amelyben kormánya az anyag vételét igazolta és a nagyhatalmak mellékelt erélyes szövegű intervenciójának személyes utón való közlésére hívta fel. Többed jelen voltunk a követségen, amikor Lutz konzul telefonon a külügyminisztertől azonnali sürgős audienciát kért, s amikor a külügyminiszter helyettese valamit megkérdezett, amit mi, a körülállók nem hallhattunk, erélyesen így válaszolt: Nem, kivételesen nem a saját kormányom, hanem az amerikai kormány nevébenóhajtok közléseket tenni.

Lutzkonzul intervenciója, úgy látszott a külügyminisztériumban nem találkozott különösebb ellenállással. Akadtak itt, mégis csak olyanok, akik a helyzetet józanul látták már ekkor és számoltak az elkövetkezendőkkel. De történetesen hangsúlyozták, hogy végső fokon a dolog nem a magyarkormánytól, hanem a németektől függ.

Úgy látszik azonban, hogy a megfelelő lépések Berlinben is megtették hatásukat és néhány napon belül magjött az ujabb svájci sürgöny, amelyben a svájci kormány értesíti Lutzot, készüljön fel a tárgyalások megkötésére és a kivándorlás előkészületeinek megtételére,miután az elvi hozzájárulás a német külügyminisztérium részéről megtörtént..

Már másnap korán reggel a magyarkormány meghívása Lutz konzulhoz meg is érkezett. A belügyminisztériumban kora délelőtt értekezlet kezdődött, amely késő délutánig tartott, s amelyre zsidó részről csak a Palesztina Hivatal képviselője, Krausz Miklós volt egyedül hivatalos. Részt vettek ezen az értekezletén csaknem az összes minisztériumok képviselői, a KEOKH

Text from page3
képviselője és Veesenmayer német követnek a helyettese. Megjelent továbbá az értekezleten a hírhedt Ferenczy csendőr alezredes is, aki valószínűleg, mint ismert transzport szakértő volt hivatalos.

A külügyminiszter képviselője az értekezleten hivatalosan bejelentette a német külügyminisztérium hozzájárulását és certifikáttal rendelkezők kivándorlásához. Közölte egyben a magyarkormány oly értelmű intézkedését, hogy az alija lebonyolításáig (aug. 31.) a deportálásokat felfüggeszti és ezen idő alatt a munkatáborosok behívása is szünetelni fog. Ezután az értekezlet áttért a kivándorlók számának a megállapítására, valamint az utazás részleteinek a megvitatására.

Ezen az értekezleten vetődött fel első ízben a védett- házak gondolata, ahová az alijázók elutazásuk előtt gyűjtendők lettek volna.

Ezzel azután kezdetét vette a Vadász-utca története, ahová július közepén bevonultunk. Itt a kollektív útlevés majd ebből folyó Schutzpass megszületett és itt a Schutzpassok által megmentett 60-80 ezer emberen kívül 2600 zsidó lélek menekült meg, köztük nagy tömegben az a cionista ifjúság, amely az illegális, földalatti mentő munka szervezője és irányítója volt.

A történeti hűség kedvéért le kell szögezni ez alkalommal, azt a még nem nagyon ismert tényt, hogy a Vadász utca védettjei között jó néhány baloldali nem zsidó üldözött is fellelhető volt, valamint ezek jó néhány hozzátartozója is. Jelen voltam egy decemberi este annál a jelentenél, amikor egyszerre három, kékre-zöldre fagyott jelent meg a bejáratnál, mint üldözött bal oldaliak hozzátartozói legalább egy éjszakára kértek menedéket. Miután többen a bal oldali frakcióból igazolták őket, engedélyt kaptak a bejövetelre s csak természetes volt, hogy soha többé eltávozásra senki fel nem szólította.

Ezek után nem csodálkozhatunk azon, hogy a városi színházbeli nyilas ünnepség elleni merényleteknek a szálai szerintük a Vadász utcához vezettek. Ennek volt köszönhető a december 4. hajnali csendőr, melyet nagy utcai sortűz vezetett be, majd utána az udvari épület tetején megjelentek a kakastollasok. Szerencsére az utcai főbejárat jól el volt torlaszolva s így itten nem tudtak behatolni. Hosszú huzavona és tárgyalás kezdődött tehát a vezetőség, -főleg Weisz Artúr- és a csendőrosztag parancsnoka között. A parancsnok a Városi Színház merénylőink és az összes feltalálható fegyvereknek kiadását követelte, ellenkező esetben a kutatást saját embereivel fogja megejteni. A keresett személyeket ugyan nem ismertük, de a fegyverekről annál inkább tudtunk. Megindult tehát egy vég nélküli telefonálás belügy, -és külügyminisztériumhoz, városparancsnoksághoz és egyéb helyekre, míg végre délfelé elértük azt, hogy a csendőrosztagegyenlőre elvonult, azonban nem tudhattuk, mikor lesz hozzájuk ismét szerencsénk.

Text from page4
A csendőrök ugyan többé nem jelentkeztek, azonban ekkor már nyilvánvalóvá vált előttünk, hogy simán megúszni a dolgot nem fogjuk.

Erre vallott az u. n. Nemzeti Számonkérő Szék két nyomozójának egy egész délelőttre terjedő látogatása a Vadász utcában, akinek látogatása ugyan csak hamisított Schutzpasszokra vonatkozott, de aki az épületben elhelyezett tömegek száma és eredete iránt is meleg érdeklődést mutattak. Egyben nem titkolták abbéli véleményüket, hogy az egész követségi ház bújtatási célokat szolgál és miután, mint mondották, ők maguk közvetlenül a nemzetvezető testvér- nek teszik meg a jelentésüket, remélhetjük, hogy néhány napon belül nagy tisztogatási akció indul meg ellenünk.

Ugyanakkor egyéb megbízottaink is sűrűn jelentkeztek és jelentették, hogy az Albrecht- laktanya nyilasai erősen készülődnek a Vadász utca ellen. Az első jelentések egészen fantasztikusak voltak. Ezek szerint a terv az volt, hogy átkísérve és beterelve bennünket a pálvölgyi barlangba, ott kézigránátokkal végeznek velünk. Később azonban ár csak a kinyírás- ról szóltak az értesülések. Nagy meglepetés tehát nem érte a vezetőséget december 31-én, mikor egy nyilas különítmény géppisztolyok sortüze és kézigránátok dobálása közben az épületbe behatolt. Ennek a betörésnek három halotta és 17 sebesült áldozata volt s nagy szerencsénk volt mondható, hogy az utcára lesorakoztatott tömeget az elhurcolástól a városparancsnokság és a főkapitányság megmozgatásával meg tudtuk menteni. A nyilas különítmény dühét így külön is magunkra vontuk és ennek volt köszönhető Weisz Artúr hősies kiálló elvbarátunknak másnapi elhurcolása.

A nyilas brigantik betörései a házba ezek után úgy szólván napirenden voltak s ha a január 18.felszabadulás nem következik be, igazán nehéz elképzelni, hogy az összegyűlt tömeg további mentése ilyen módon sikerülhetett volna.


  • Updated 4 years ago
Hungary fell increasingly under the influence of Germany as the Nazi regime consolidated itself during the 1930s. When Germany began to redraw national boundaries in Europe, Hungary was able to regain territory it had lost due to the 1920 Trianon Treaty, including southern Slovakia (1938) and Subcarpathian Rus (1939) after the dissolution of Czechoslovakia, and Northern Transylvania from Romania (1940). In November 1940, Hungary joined the Axis alliance. In April 1941, it took part in the occupa...

Magyar Zsidó Levéltár

  • MZSL
  • HJA
  • Hungarian Jewish Archives
  • Hungarian Jewish Museum and Archives
  • Hungary
  • Dohány utca 2
  • Budapest
  • Updated 4 years ago

Deportáltakat Gondozó Országos Bizottság (interjúprojekt)

  • National Relief Committee for Deportees (interview project)
The three main tasks of the Deportáltakat Gondozó Országos Bizottság (the National Relief Committee for Deportees or DEGOB) were to help the repatriation of survivors to Hungary, provide them with social aid, and pursue projects of documentation. As part of the project of documentation, around five thousand survivors articulated their experiences in the offices of the National Relief Committee for Deportees as early as 1945-46 whereby the largest collections of early witness accounts was created...