Šlomo Fuchs, Chaim Schwarzwald and Hermann Przewoznik, the killing machinery in Auschwitz-Birkenau


Extensive testimony of Przewoznik, Fuchs, and Schwarzwald, three former Polish prisoners of the Auschwitz concentration camp, which was written in the DP camp Zeilsheim near Frankfurt am Main by co-workers of the “documentation campaign” in Prague. They describe in detail the killing machinery of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the extermination of prisoners in the gas chambers, and the cremation of the corpses. They recall the selection process of incoming inmates and the fate of a few particular transports. They describe the layout of individual camps that were part of Auschwitz-Birkenau.


Document Text

  1. English
  2. Czech
Text from page1


Written in Zeisheim D.P.– camp near Frankfurt on 3. and 4. 11. 1945 with Hermann Przewozník, Šlomo Fuchs, and Chaim Schwarzwald about the concentration camps Auschwitz II., Birkenau.

Przewoznik, born 16. 1. 1914 in Plonsk, prisoner of the concentration camp Auschwitz II. Birkenau (prisoner number 84256 ), Oranienburg, Sachsenhausen, Kauffering, Dachau.

Fuchs, born 3. 5. 1908 was imprisoned in Auschwitz II. Birkenau (Prisoner number 84033), Oranienburg, Flossenbürg, Dachau,

Schwarzwald, born 12. 11. 1921 in Plonsk, imprisoned in Auschwitz I (60.423), Birkenau, Oranienburg, Sachsenhausen, Dachau. All three are currently in the Zeisheim D. P. Camp near Frankfurt.

We worked in the Sauna – Birkenau disinfection chamber – from January 1943 to January 1945, i.e. until the evacuation, I, Herman Przewoznik, as a scribe, I, Šlomo Fuchs, as a worker on the so-called unclean side, and I, Chaim Schwarzwald, as a worker on the ramp.

When the transports arrived, the people were pulled out of the carriages, their things were taken away, and then they were turned over – men and women separately – for selection by the SS doctors Mengele, Thilo, Horstmann, König and others, who had the SS rank of Ober- or Hauptsturmführer. Men always stood on the right, and women on the left. The people selected for the camp were sent to the left side, the others, who were to be gassed, to the right. In the years ‘42 and ‘43, on average 20% percent of the people were sent to the camp. However, there were transports out of which only 5% or 10% were sent to the camp. Some transports were sent to the gas chambers without going through selection. This happened, for example, to the transports from Plonsk and Nový Dvůr, carrying 2,000 people, and other transports of Polish Jews.

In 1944, a larger portion, up to 40%, were sent to the camp, but nevertheless even during this time entire transports were sent to the gas chambers, such as the transport of Lithuanian Jews (1,886 women and children), who were sent to the gas chamber from the sauna under the direct orders of Mengele and Kramer in the beginning of October. Around October 1943, a transport arrived from Theresienstadt with roughly 1,000 to 1,200 children from Bialystok with their caretakers and nurses. They had Palestinian visas, but they were all gassed in Crematorium I. Four weeks later, a transport arrived from Hannover. Its occupants had American visas as American citizens, and we heard that they were to be exchanged for German prisoners of war. The artist Lola Lipmann from Warsaw was a passenger on this transport. In the sauna, Rapportführer Schillinger, who was known and feared as the Birkenau executioner, wanted to hurry her along when she suddenly shot him with his own revolver and seriously wounded the Arbeitsdienstführer from Auschwitz I. Until this incident, men were gassed in Crematorium II and women in Crematorium I. Afterwards, men and women were immediately separated, and women were either shot or gassed by SS helpers. Men were gassed in Crematorium II.

The people who were selected to be sent to the camp went into the sauna, where their hair was cut, they bathed, and changed into different clothes. The rest of the things they were allowed to take with them from the train station were also taken from them here. Each person was given a tattered shirt, sometimes underwear, a skirt or pants, and so-called Dutch clogs. Starting in 1944, women were no longer given any underwear, but only a dress or skirt, and a pyjama camisole. From the year 1Note 1 : left blank, selection was conducted in Sauna II, during which pregnant women and other weak or injured people were sent to the crematorium’s sauna or to Bunker V. This selection was ordered by SS doctors, SS members Schniders and Haagen. Haagen regularly beat the women and personally brought them to the crematorium.

Text from page2

People who were selected to be gassed were taken directly from the ramp to one of the 4 crematoria or to Bunker V, which was a rustic house with a straw roof and 4 small rooms. Everywhere there were signs: Zum Bad. People had to get undressed there. Some transports were ordered to write letters in which they stated that they had arrived in one piece, were reunited with their friends, and were on their way to the baths.

In Crematoria I and II, gas was introduced from the top. The gas used was zyklon B Degesch (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Schädlingsbekämpfung, Hamburg). In Crematoria III and IV, gas was let in through small windows. Bunker V used the same method. In the middle of Crematoria I and II, there were 4 four-sided poles out of tangled wire, into which gas was let in from the top (through green or yellow pieces of cardboard that released hydrogen cyanide gas when they came in contact with the humidity of the air). In Crematoria III and IV and in Bunker V, these gas carriers were thrown into the chambers through a side window by SS members wearing gas masks. The windows were then hermetically sealed. Crematoria I and II had a capacity of 3,000 people; Crematoria III and IV and Bunker V had a capacity of 1,500 people. Rottenführer Schniders, Haagen (at the time in Dachau), Sturmmann Gräf from Romania, Dobrovolský from Slovakia, and George from Katovice were in charge of the gassing. Moll was the head of the crematoria. Jews worked in all of the crematoria. Fifteen Russians, 3 Polish Kapos, 2 German head Kapos, and the Jewish Kapo Kaminský from Grodno, who was shot by Moll in 1944, worked alongside them. Death in the gas chamber took about 3 minutes for men, 5 minutes for women. Children, when they held onto their mothers, died in about 7 minutes. If the bunker was damp, it took longer to die in the gas chamber. The necessary dose of gas for 3,000 people was 3 kg of Zyklon. Schniders sometimes let less gas in, thereby prolonging the suffering of those inside the chamber.

When an Italian transport, arriving probably in January ‘44 and carrying 1,500 people, was sent to the gas chamber (Haagen administered the gas), a prisoner managed to throw a box containing the gas out of the window, and only a small amount of gas was released into the chamber. Then the bunker was hermetically sealed. Mengele, Kramer, and Haagen listened at the doors. For a long time, about ½ an hour, we could hear the desperate cries of the prisoners. Hauptschaarführer Moll, who beat women with a 2-meter whip, or used them for target practice, was also active around those sent to be gassed. He once tried to shoot 5 selected women with one shot. He like to pick beautiful women who he then shot in the neck while the others were killed by gas. He would then clean his jackboots with their blood. Our friend Jankel Silberberg from Zakroczym, who previously resided in Plonsk and is currently in the Polish Army, and who worked in the so-called Sonderkommando, can corroborate this. We know this because we brought gas for delousing to the crematoria every day.

In front of Bunker V there was a small birch grove that we called the little birch. It was mostly women who were gassed in Bunker V. If the transport contained more than 1,500 women, the rest waited behind the bunker until the first 1,500 were gassed and made ready to be burned in the ditch. Bunker V did not have a crematorium nearby, but a ditch in which the bodies were doused with gasoline and burned in piles. About 6,000 bodies were burned all at once. The ash was used as fertilizer for the tree nursery, to seal potato bunkers in order to keep out the humidity, or to scatter over the paths in Buna. The rest was thrown into water.

Crematoria I and II were put into operation in March 1943. The first transport was from Krakow. Its men arrived at the camp and received the numbers 108 thousand and higher. It was followed by transports from Greece with numbers 109 all the way up to 117 thousand. About 2 months later, Crematoria II and IV were put into operation. Bunker 5 was used until the crematoria were ready, which was later, once again in 1944, when Hungarian transports arrived carrying 850,000 Jews, 70,000 Jews from Lodz, and 2 transports from Theresienstadt.

Text from page3

The Birkenau camp had 27 buildings, 12 of which were wooden (former horse stables) and 15 of which were made of stone. There were up to 1,000 prisoners in each wooden building, and up to 1,500 prisoners in each stone building. This was in the old men’s camp, which was changed to the women’s camp later in June, 1943. At the time, men were sent to Camp D, Bauabschnitt II (B II d). Until March 1943, the Blockälteste of block 15 was the Polish priest Vladyk. He was followed by the French Jew Leon Cimbler, nicknamed the boxer, who killed up to 50 Jews a day. The Blockälteste of block 21 was the Polish officer Januš Pokřivnický, who sadistically beat and tortured the prisoners of his block.

The Blockälteste of block 5 was a German named Albert Hammerle, who tortured and killed many Jews every day. French Jew Schaffmann carried out acts of equal cruelty in block 27. The French Jew Pinkus was in block 22, where members of the new transports were sent. He greeted newcomers by striking them with a cane, hammer, and an iron strap. He tried to kill as many as he could and also took from them what money, gold, and valuables they had left. He greeted them with the words: I’ll make sure you’ll live for only 1 or 2 hours, you Hurensöhne. The head of the sauna until March 43 was a Pole named Štefan, who was a dangerous sadist, especially towards the Jews. Other dangerous sadists were the Germans Alois and Martin, a certain Stefan – a Volksdeutscher from Poland ‒ Schilfsmeer, the camp kapo Thin, the kapo Chaim Kleinmann from Plonsk, and head kapo Rudi(a German who was also an executioner) from the More commando.

Camps B I A and B I B were FKL (women’s concentration camps). The head SS women were, among others: Mandler, Drexler, Greise, Hasse, Brandl, Zarecki, Müller, and the SS men were: Perschel – Arbeitsdienstführer, TellerRapportführer, Schluz – Arbeitsdienstführer. Hössler was the Lagerführer. All of them tortured prisoners in indescribable ways. Schulz once grabbed a woman who was working on the road construction by the legs and beat her head with a stone. I, Chaim Schwarzwald, saw this with my own eyes.

B II A. A Quarantine Camp for newcomers. Quarantine lasted from 3 weeks to 3 months. It consisted of 16 wooden buildings. Sometimes, Dr. Mengele, Thilo, and others carried out the selection process there. Most were sent to the gas chambers, and the rest was transferred to Camp D or other camps. This camp was put into operation when the transports from Sosnowiec and Bedzin arrived. At the beginning of August 1943, the people from these transports received the numbers 132,000 and higher.

B II A. The so-called Czech camp was opened to accommodate the Theresienstadt transports in September 1943 with numbers 146,000 and higher. Men, women, and children were housed together in this camp. When these transports arrived, selection didn’t take place by the tracks and the arrivals did not have their hair cut. On 8. 3. 1944 during Purim, the entire transport but for a few exceptions was gassed. Later, this camp was changed to an FKL. At the time, Greise was the Rapportführer there.

B II C. It was opened in June 1944 for the women from the transports from Hungary and Lodz. The SS woman Kuk was the Rapportführer. This camp was liquidated in October 1944. The majority was sent to the gas chambers. Only the women employed in the weaving mill were spared. SS guard Hasse oversaw this selection.

Text from page4


A labor camp for men, 32 blocks. The camp opened in 1943 and was in operation until the evacuation of Auschwitz.

B II E. The so-called Gypsy camp opened in the spring of of 1943. Gypsies from everywhere in Europe were there until 1944. Afterwards, some were put onto transports and the rest were killed in the gas chambers. Transports from Hungary, Lodz, and Theresienstadt then arrived in the camp. This camp was in operation until the evacuation.

B II F. Krankenbau was supervised by the Polish doctor Zengfeller, a mass murderer and assistant to the doctors during the selection process.

B II g. The so-called Effektenlager and sauna. At the beginning of May 1944, all of the luggage from the people on the latest transports was brought there. A total of 1,200 women and 600 men worked in the Effektenlager, which was called Kanada. The head of the Effektenlager was Oberstrumführer Kratzer who said that luggage was insignificant, the main thing was the destruction of the Jews. The luggage was sorted by women and sent to Germany. Also, human hair was disinfected, packed, and sent.

B III., so-called Mexico. This camp opened in May 1944 for transports from Hungary, Lodz, and Theresienstadt. Here, too, there were only women, at least 90% of whom were sent to the gas chamber at the beginning of 1944. Kramer, Mengele, and most of the doctors and SS female wardens personally took part in this selection process.

The newly arrived generally didn’t know what lay ahead for them. At night, they sometimes saw the glow of the fire and the loading of dead bodies. Acts of resistance would sometimes occur. There was shooting, but the SS usually managed to calm them down. They were shown the sauna and told it was a delousing station, and, when their anger subsided, people were led to the gas chambers.

I, Herman Przewoznik, saw with my own eyes a mother with 3 small children try to run away at night, horrified at what she’d seen. She came upon Sturmmann Wagner in Camp D. He calmed her down and led her to the gas chamber.

One night during the arrival of a transport from Theresienstadt in October 1944 the women supposedly resisted. We heard a scream and Moll’s voice, shouting: Quickly get back inside. You’re only going for a bath and then you’ll be out again. Then we heard them being hit with canes and dogs barking. During the selection processes in the camps people knew what was truly happening, but they never resisted.

In 1942, when the crematoria weren’t yet in operation, Bunker V was never enough. Once, children were thrown into the fire. Some had previously been killed, but some were still alive.

Until March 1943 the selection process took place 2 to 3 times a week in the camp. The selection process was carried out by SS doctors, with the help of a Polish doctor named Dr. Zenkfeller, who was a dangerous anti-semite. During the roll calls, the selected had their numbers taken down and they were sent to block 7. Prior to this, they were tattooed with the letter L next to their number. During each selection process 1,500 men and 1,500 women were selected to be gassed. Then, from March until Yom Kippur 1943, the selection process didn’t occur. At that time, the women from Camp B I a and B I b were taken to their camp’s sauna, and Obersturmführer Roder selected and ordered 5,500 women to be gassed. At the same time, 6,500 men from all of the camps that were part of Auschwitz were selected to be gassed. These 12,000 Jews were led to the gas chambers at the same time as the Kol Nidre was being sung. Naked men and women were led to the crematoria to the sound of the Kol Nidre and Hatikvah being sung. Afterwards, only smaller selection processes resumed, until the day of 1.1.1944, when Drs. Mengele and Thilo conducted a large selection process in the men’s and women’s camp. This was repeated on 19.1.1944. After these selection processes, only about 800 Jews remained in the camp. On 7. 3. 1944, the September transport from Theresienstadt, numbering 5,000 people, were gassed.

Text from page5

This is how it happened: On March 7th, the entire transport was led to Camp B II a. During the evening of March 8th (Purim) at 11 o’clock at night they received refreshment packages and the order to write the date March 27th on pieces of paper. They were told that they would be taken to another camp in Heidebreck. In order to confuse them, they were first taken to Auschwitz I and from there back to Birkenau.

During the arrival of the December transport from Theresienstadt, when the people were having their jewelry and gold taken away, an older woman wanted to keep her wedding ring. Rottenführer Waldemar Bedarf, a Volksdeutscher from Poland, violently pulled her ring off and beat her. Bedarf was one of the leading executioners in Birkenau. The transport that I have just mentioned was taken to Family Camp B II b without going through the selection process. One thousand six hundred and twenty five men and about 500 women from this transport were sent to work and the rest were gassed in May 1944, with the exception of roughly 80 children aged 10-12, who arrived at Camp D and later departed on another transport.

In May 1944, transports of Hungarian Jews began arriving in Birkenau, first from Transylvania, and then from Carpatho-Ukraine. Eight to ten transports arrived every day, each carrying 2,000 people. The selection process took place on the ramp. J. Kramer was personally charged with liquidating the Hungarian transports. A total of 800,000 Jews came from Hungary, 115,000 of whom were sent to the camp, most of them women. After the transports from Hungary, in August several transports arrived from Lodz, totaling about 70,000 people. Roughly 9,000 of them were sent to the camp. At about the same time, 7,000 women arrived from other Polish labor camps and from Lublin. A transport arrived with about 5,000 non-Jewish people, among them around 300 young, healthy, Jewish women and girls from the Lublin labor camp. These women were sent to the quarantine camp, and 3 days later were sent from there to the crematorium to be gassed. They fought back, but were quickly subdued. They then asked to be given more gas, and their wish was granted. It’s unclear why these young, fit to work women were gassed.

Before the arrival of the Hungarian transports, a transport from Theresienstadt arrived in the Czech family camp in May 1944, again without going through the selection process. Later, those able to work were sent away.

In the fall of 1944, many transports from Theresienstadt arrived, totalling 20,000 people. These transports weren’t sent to the family camp like the previous ones from Theresienstadt, but went through the selection process on the ramp. The number of the people selected is unknown, but it can be assumed that no more than 25% of the individual transports were sent to the camp. On January 24th, 1945, a sauna was to be prepared for the rest of the inhabitants from Theresienstadt. Since all of the mothers who had their children with them from the Theresienstadt transports – like all the others – were gassed, sometimes the mothers were advised to give their children to older women. There were even cases of children being violently torn away from their mothers. Only rarely did a mother know what awaited her and still handed over her child. There were some cases of children who were more mature and understood the situation, who stated that they were orphans and thus saved their parents.

If a smaller transport – under 50 people – arrived, its occupants weren’t taken to be gassed, but were killed with a shot to the back of the head. This was done with a nail gun and then the corpses were burned. This was also done in the crematoria. These executions were often carried out by SS men: Moll and a certain Unterschaarführer nicknamed Mojše Borek. People who were sentenced to death were led to their executions individually by a special commando of 12 prisoners called shooters. The corpses were then dragged away, and so the next people in line didn’t know what was happening, although blood could be seen.

Text from page6

After the transports from Theresienstadt came the transports from Slovakia, roughly 10,000 people. They were put through the usual selection process.

On December 10th, 1944, Crematoria I and II and Bunker V began to be torn down. The whole camp was mobilized and made to perform this work under the supervision of several SS men. After this date, only very small transports arrived. Gassing stopped altogether. The crematoria gas chambers were blown up on January 7th, 1945, several hours before the camp was evacuated. Crematorium IV remained standing.

During this whole time, smaller and larger transports continued to arrive from all over Europe. Once, 3 Jews from TunisiaCorfu, and Rhodes, and a Jewish American navy soldier arrived by airplane. Later, they were gassed with a group of pregnant women. During Passover 43, 2 Rabbis who had privileged positions arrived from Thessaloniki. They were allowed to keep their clothes, their hair and beards weren’t cut, they didn’t have to work, they were often photographed, and had to write a letter stating that they were treated well and that they were performing their religious functions. This comedy didn’t last long. They were sent to the gas chambers. In the fall of 1944, twins, midgets, and people with other physical disabilities were selected from the Hungarian, Theresienstadt, and Slovak transports and sent to the Krankenbau in order to be experimented upon.

From 1942 to 1944, the Lagerführers in Birkenau were: Obersturmführer Schwarzhuber, who was replaced for a short time by Obersturmführer Thumann, then Obersturmführer Krause. Of the Lagerältestes from B I a and B I b, we mention additionally the Polish woman Stenia (currently a defendant in the Lüneburg trial) and the Slovak woman Ila Klein from Bardejov, both of whom are responsible for the deaths of a countless number of women.

The underground movement in the camp began in May 1943 in the sauna in the old men’s camp. One Polish Jew (Fuchs) and 2 Jews from France (Stein and Handelsmann) first agreed to mutually help illegal workers. Those who worked in the so-called better commandos agreed to help their comrades. The movement did not have a clear ideology. It was an underground liberation movement. The organization could exist because at the time people could move around the camp with greater freedom than before (prisoners could meet after work, the death penalty was banned, etc.) Their membership was small because they only accepted people who were known to have performed illegal work before arriving in the camp. Later, the organization also contained women, mainly French and Polish. In terms of nationality, its members were mainly Polish and French Jews, there were also several Czech Jews, several Jewish women, and one German who was not a Jew. When the Hungarian transports began to arrive, gassing was supposed to cease and so we decided to procure explosives and weapons. The women who worked in the Union commando, Auschwitz I (a munitions factory), acquired dynamite in small doses. The dynamite was used to make small handmade grenades in Crematorium I. With the help of Russian prisoners, we managed to acquire 4 revolvers. One Belgian Jew got a machine gun with the help of the Russians. The committee that orchestrated the uprising was composed of Alexandre Lazar (France) and two Polish Jews, David and Minko, who fought in the Spanish Civil War. To establish contact with the outside world, the Pole Kostek was sent to the join the partisans in the area. We soon received an order from the outside that we shouldn’t start anything without outside help. Nevertheless, we continued organizing and creating cells. The movement was rather strong at the time. For example, in the Effektenlager 110 people were part of the movement. We were never betrayed. We got in touch with the Russians and began planning an uprising. But the Russians were also of the opinion that we shouldn’t prepare anything more without

Text from page7
help from the outside. On 7. 10. 1944, at 1 in the afternoon, 300 men from the special commando were to be gassed. They attacked Crematorium III, threw dynamite grenades into the fire, and crematorium III caught fire was reduced to ashes. The SS, headed by Hauptsturmführer Hahn, who was personally armed with a rifle, arrived at the scene. They killed 378 men. Half an hour later, the Sonderkommando of Crematorium I killed the head capo and threw him into the fire. Then, they cut the wires, shouted: The Russians are here! and ran. The SS surrounded the area and all of them were shot. All in all, 455 men were killed that day. The whole uprising was spearheaded by a special commando, but the illegal organization didn’t participate in it because it didn’t get an order from the outside.

On January 17th, 1945, the camp was finally liquidated. At the time, it still had 6,000 people in it. On January 18th, it was completely liquidated. Only the sick from Camp B II f remained.

Dr. Robert Weinberger

Statement written up by: Dr. Robert Weinberger and Dr. Erich Nasch during his visit to Zeisheim near Frankfurt.

Text from page1


sepsaný v D.P.– táboře Zeilsheim u Frankfurtu dne 3. a 4. 11. 1945 s Hermannem Przewozníkem, Šlomo Fuchsem a Chaim Schwarzwaldem o koncentračních táborech Osvětím II., Birkenau.

Przewoznik, nar. 16. I. 1914 v Plonsku, vězeňkoncentračního tábora Osvětím II. Birkenau / věz. číslo 84256 /, Oranienburg, Sachsenhausen, Kaufering, Dachau.

Fuchs, nar. 3. 5. 1908 byl vězněn v Osvětímě II. Birkenau / Věz. číslo 84033 / Oranienburg. Flossenbürg, Dachau,

Schwarzwald, nar. 12. 11. 1921 v Plonsku, vězněnOsvětímě I / 60.423 /, Birkenau, Oranienburg, Sachsenhausen, Dachau. Všichni tři jsou toho času v D. P. táboře Zeilsheim u Frankfurtu.

Pracovali jsme v desinfekčním ústavě Sauna – Birkenau od ledna 1943 do ledna 1945, t.j. až do evakuace, a sice já, Herman Przewoznik jako písař, já Šlomo Fuchs jako dělník na tzv. nečisté straně a já Chaim Schwarzwald jako dělník na rampě.

Při přijíždějících transportech byli účastníci vytaženi z vagonů, byly jim odebrány všechny věci a pak byli předvedeni – muži zvlášť a ženy zvlášť – k selekci u lékařů SS Mengele, Thilo, Horstmann, König a jiní, kteří v SS měli šarže Ober – nebo Hauptsturmführerů. Muži stáli vždy na pravé straně, ženy na levé. Ony osoby, které byly určeny pro tábor, byly poslány na levou stranu, ostatní, kteří byli určeni do plynu, napravo. V letech 42 a 43 bylo průměrné procento osob, které byly poslány do tábora, až 20 %. Byly však také transporty, ze kterých přišlo do tábora jen 5 nebo 10 %. Některé transporty byly poslány do plynu také úplně bez selekce. Jako příklad uvádíme transportyPlonsku a Nového Dvoru po 2.000 osobách a jiné transporty polských Židů.

V roce 1944 byla poslána do tábora větší část, až 40 %, ale nicméně šly i v této době celé transporty do plynu, n. př. začátkem října transport litevských Židů / 1886 žen a dětí /, kteří byli posláni do plynu ze sauny na přímý rozkaz Mengeleho a Kramera. Asi v říjnu 1943 přijel z Terezína transport asi 1.000 až 1200 dětí z Bialystokuopatrovnickým a ošetřovatelským personálem, vykázali se palestinským visem, byl však celý zaplynován. A to v krematoriu I. 4 neděle na to přijel transport z Hannoveru, jehož účastníci se vykázali americkým visem, jako američtí státní občané a o kterých se proslýchalo, že mají býti vyměněni za německé válečné zajatce. Tímto transportem přijela také artistka Lola LipmannováVaršavy. V sauně Rapportführer Schillinger, který byl znám a obáván jako birkenauský kat, ji chtěl popohnat, tu ho zastřelila jeho vlastním revolverem a těžce zranila Arbeitsdienstführera z Osvětíma I. Až do této příhody byli muži zaplynovávánikrematoriu II a ženykrematoriu I. Potom byli muži a ženy ihned od sebe odděleni a pomocí posily SS byly ženy z části zastřeleny, z části zaplynovány, muži zaplynovánikrematoriu II.

Osoby určené do tábora přišly do sauny, kde byly ostříhány, vykoupány a převlečeny. Tam jim byl odebrán také zbytek věcí, které mohly ev. vzít s sebou z nádraží. Každý dostával roztrhanou košili, někdy spodky, jupku a kalhoty a tk. zv. holandské dřeváky. Ženy od roku 1944 nedostávaly žádné prádlo, nýbrž jenom šaty nebo sukni a halenku od pyjama. Od roku 1Note 1 : rok neuveden byla prováděna v sauně II selekce, při níž těhotné ženy a jiné slabé nebo raněné osoby byly poslány do sauny krematoria nebo do bunkeru V. Tato selekce byla prováděna z rozkazu SS-lékařů příslušníky SS Schniderem a Haagenem. Haagen obyčejně bil ženy a sám je odváděl do krematoria.

Text from page2

Osoby určené do plynu byly vedeny přímo z rampy do jednoho ze 4 krematorií, nebo do bunkru V, který byl selským domečkem se slaměnou střechou s 4 malými pokoji. Všude byly nadpisy: Zum Bad. Lidé se tam museli svléci. Některým transportům bylo přikázáno, aby napsali dopisy toho obsahu, že dobře dojeli, našli známé a jsou na cestě do lázní.

krematoriích I a II přišel plyn shora. Používalo se plynu cyklon B Degesch / Deutsche Gesellschaft für Schädlingsbekämpfung, Hamburg /. V krematoriích III a IV byl plyn vpouštěn malými okny. Stejný postup byl v bunkeru V. V krematoriu I a II bylo uprostřed od stropu až po podlahu po 4 čtyřhranných sloupech z drátěné spleti, do něhož byl plyn vhazován shora / zelené nebo žluté kousky lepenky, které vylučovaly v doteku s vlhkostí vzduchu plyn kyanovodík/. V krematoriích III a IV a v bunkeru V byli tito nosiči plynu sypány do komor příslušníky SS, kteří měli k tomu plynovou masku, skrz postranní okna. Okna byla pak hermeticky uzavřena. Kapacita krematorií I a II byla po 3.000 osobách, krematorium III a IV a bunker V měl kapacitu 1500 osob. Zaplynování prováděli: Rottenführer Schniders, Haagen / t.č. v Dachau / Sturmmann GräfRumunska, Dobrovolský ze Slovenska, George z Katovic. Vedoucím krematorií byl Moll. Ve všech krematoriích pracovali Židé, mimo ně 15 Rusů, 3 polští kápové, 2 němečtí vrchní kápové a židovský kápo KaminskýGrodna, kterého zastřelil Moll v roce 1944. Zaplynování trvalo u mužů asi 3 minuty, u žen 5 minut, u dětí, když se držely svých matek, asi 7 minut. Když byl bunkr velký, trvalo zaplynování déle. Nutná dávka plynu pro 3000 osob obnášela 3 kg Cyklonu. Schniders vpouštěl občas méně plynu, čímž prodlužoval smrtelná muka.

Při jednom italském transportu, přibližně v lednu 44 asi o 1500 osobách, který byl zaplynován / zaplynování prováděl Haagen / podařilo se jednomu účastníkovi vyhodit z okna krabici s plynem, tak, že do komory přišlo jen malé množství plynu. Na to byl bunker hermeticky uzavřen. Mengele, Kramer a Haagen poslouchali u dvěří. Slyšeli jsme ještě dlouho, asi ½ hodiny, zoufalý křik vězňů. U zaplynovaných byl činný také Hauptschaarführer Moll, který bil ženy 2 metry dlouhým bičem, anebo se cvičil na nich ve střelbě. Tak se pokusil, aby zastřelil jednou ranou 5 vybraných žen. Zvlášť si vybíral krásné ženy, které – když ostatní byly zaplynovány, zastřelil ranou do šíje. Pak si čistil s jejich krví holínky. To může dosvědčit náš kamarád Jankel Silberberg ze Zákročímu, dřívější bydliště Plonsk, t.č. v polské armádě, který pracoval v t.zv. Sonderkommandu. Jsme informováni proto, poněvadž jsme donášeli denně plyn do krematoria pro odvšivování.

Před bunkerem V byl malý březový lesík, který jsme nazvali březinkou. V bunkeru V bývaly zaplynovávány obyčejně ženy. Obsahoval – li transport více než 1500 žen, čekaly ostatní za bunkrem, až bylo zaplynováno prvních 1500 a připraveno ke spálení v příkopu. U bunkeru V nebylo totiž krematorium, nýbrž příkop, ve kterém byly mrtvoly spalovány na hranicích, politých benzinem. Tam bylo spáleno najednou asi 6.000 mrtvol. Popelu bylo použito na hnojení školky, nebo k těsnění bramborových bunkrů proti vlhkosti, nebo k posypávání cest v Buně. Zbytek byl házen do vody.

Krematoria I a II začala svou práci v březnu 1943. První transport byl z Krakova. Jeho mužští příslušníci přišli do tábora, dostali čísla 108 tisíc a následující. Následovaly pak transportyŘecka, číslo 109 až 117 tisíc. Asi 2 měsíce na to začala pracovat krematoria II a IV. Bunker 5 byl v činnosti až do vystavení krematoria, později zase až v květnu 1944, když přijely maďarské transporty s 850.000 Židy, 70.000 ŽidůLodže a 2 transporty z Terezína.

Text from page3

táboře Birkenau bylo 27 baráků, z nichž 12 dřevěných / bývalé koňské stáje / a 15 kamenných. V každém dřevěném baráku bylo až 1000 vězňů, v každém kamenném až 1500 vězňů. To bylo v starém mužském táboře, který později, v červnu 1943 byl přeměněn v ženský tábor. Muži byli tehdy posláni do tábora D, Bauabschnitt II / B II d /. V bloku 15 byl až do března 1943 Blockältestrem polský kněz Vladyk, jeho zástupcem francouzský Žid Leon Cimbler zvaný boxer, který zabil denně až 50 Židů. V bloku 21 byl Blockältestrem polský důstojník Januš Pokřivnický, který vězně svého bloku bil a týral nelidským způsobem.

Blockältesterem bloku 5 byl Němec jménem Albert Hammerle, který denně ztýral a zavraždil mnoho Židů. V bloku 27 podobně postupoval francouzský Žid Schaffmann. V bloku příchozích 22, do něhož byli dopravováni příslušníci nových transportů, byl francouzský Žid Pinkus, který přijímal nováčky ranami hole, kladivem a železem a který se snažil zabít co největší počet a především jim odebral, co jim snad zbylo na penězích, zlatu a cenných předmětech. Jeho slova na uvítanou byla: U mne budete žít 1 nebo 2 hodiny, Vy Hurensöhne. Vedoucím sauny byl až do března 43 Polák Štefan, který se zachoval zejména vůči Židům jako nebezpečný sadista. Dalšími nebezpečnými sadisty byli ještě Němci Alois a Martin, jistý Stefan – VolksdeutscherPolska, Schilfsmeer, táborový kápo Thin, kápo Chaim KleinmannPlonsku, vrchní kápo Rudi z komanda More / Němec, který byl také katem.

Tábory B I a B I B byly FKL / ženské koncentrační tábory /. Vedoucími ženami SS byly mimo jiné: Mandlerová, Drexlerová, Greiseová, Hasseová, Brandlová, Zarecká, Müllerová a SS muži Perschel – Arbeitsdienstführer, TellerRapportführer, Schulz – Arbeitsdienstführer. Lagerführerem byl Hössler. Tito všichni týrali vězně nepopsatelným způsobem. Tak Schulz jednou popadl ženu, která pracovala při stavbě silnice, za nohy a tloukl kamení její hlavou. To jsem já, Chaim Schwarzwald viděl na vlastní oči.

B II a. Karanténni tábor pro nové příchozí. Karanténa trvala 3 týdny až 3 měsíce. Sestával z 16 dřevěných baráků. Občas tam prováděl selekci Dr. Thilo a jiní. Větší část bývala při tom posílána do plynu, zbytek převeden do tábora D nebo do jiných táborů. Tento tábor byl dán do provozu při příjezdu transportů ze Sosnovic a Bendzdimu. Začátkem srpna 1943 účastníci těchto transportů dostali čísla 132.000 a následující.

B II b. Tak zvaný český tábor zahájen při příjezdu terezínských transportů v září 1943 čísly 146.000 a následující. V tomto táboře byli spolu muži a ženy i děti. Při příjezdu těchto transportů nebyla selekce na dráze a účastníkům nebyly stříhány vlasy. Dne 8. 3. 1944, bylo to právě na purim, byl celý transport zaplynován, až na nepatrné výjimky. Později byl tento tábor přeměněn v F K L. Rapportführerkou byla tam tehdy Greiseová.

B II C. Zahájen až v červnu 1944 pro ženy transportůMaďarska a z Lodže. Rapportführerkou byla SSačka Kuková. Tento tábor byl likvidován v říjnu 1944. Největší část šla do plynu. Ušetřeny zůstaly jen ženy, zaměstnané ve tkalcovně. Dozor nad touto selekcí měla zejména dozorkyně SS Hasseová.

Text from page4

B III d.

Pracovní tábor pro muže, 32 bloků. Tábor zahájen v lednu 1943 a byl v provozu až do evakuace Osvětíma.

B II e. takzvaný cikánský tábor byl otevřen na jaře 1943. Byli tam cikáni z celé Evropy, až do léta 1944, pak byla část z nich zařazena do transportu, ostatní byli zaplynováni. Do tábora přišli pak transportyMaďarska, Lodže a Terezína. Tento tábor byl v provozu až do evakuace.

B II f.Krankenbau, pod dozorempolskéholékaře Zengfellera, hromadného vraha a pomocníka lékařů při selekcích.

B II g. T. zv. Effektenlager a sauna. Od začátku května 1944 přišla tam veškerá zavazadla účastníků nových transportů. Celkem tam bylo zaměstnáno 1200 žen a 600 mužů a to v Effektenlágru t. zv. Kanada. Vedoucím Effektenlágru byl Oberstrumführer Kratzer, který se vyjádřil, že zavazadla jsou bezvýznamná, hlavní věcí je zničení Židů. Zavazadla byla tříděna ženami a dopravována do Německa. Také lidské vlasy byly desinfikovány, sbaleny a odesílány.

B III., tak zvané Mexiko. Tento tábor byl zahájen v květnu 1944 transportyMaďarska, Lodže a Terezína. I tam byly jen ženy, z nichž a začátku prosince 1944 aspoň 90 % bylo posláno do plynu. Této selekce se zúčastnili osobně Kramer, Mengele, jakož i většina lékařů a dozorkyň SS.

Obyčejně noví příchozí nevěděli, co mají před sebou, jen někdy v noci viděli zář ohně a přenášení mrtvol. Tehdy docházelo někdy také k odporu. Střílelo se, ale obyčejně byli lidé uklidňováni SSáky. Bylo jim ukázáno zařízení sauny jako odvšivovací stanice, a když rozčilení pominulo, byli lidé vedeni do plynových komor.

Já, Herman Przewoznik jsem viděl sám případ, když matka s 3 malými dětmi v noci, zděšena tím, co viděla, se pokusila o útěk. V lágru D se setkala se Sturmannem Wagnerem, který ji uklidnil a vedl do plynové komory.

Při příjezdu jednoho transportu z Terezína v říjnu 1944 v noci, došlo prý také k odporu žen. Slyšeli jsme křik a slyšeli hlas Mollův, který křičel: Rychleji dovnitř, jdete se jen vykoupat a zase vyjdete, pak jsme slyšeli ještě rány holí a štěkot psů. Přiselekcích, které se konaly v táborech, viděli lidé, oč se jedná, ale k odporu nedošlo nikdy.

V roce 1942, když krematoria nebyla ještě v provozu, bunker V nikdy nestačil. Přihodilo se, že děti byly házeny do ohně. Zčásti byly již dříve zabity, zčásti byly ještě na živu.

Do března 1943 prováděla se v táboře selekce 2 až 3 krát týdně. Selekci prováděli lékaři SS, pomocí polského lékaře Dr. Zenkfellera, který byl nebezpečným antisemitou. Při apelech byla poznamenána čísla vybraných a oni byli posláni do bloku 7. Před tím bylo jim vtetováno L a to vedle čísla. Při každé selekci bylo určeno do plynu 1500 mužů a 1500 žen. Pak od března až do Jom-kipur 1943 nebylo žádné selekce. Tehdy byly ženy tábora B I a a B I b vedeny do sauny jejich tábora, Obersturmführer Roder provedl selekci a určil do plynu 5.500 žen. Současně bylo ze všech táborů, pařících Osvětímu určeno do plynu 6.500 mužů. Těchto 12.000 Židů bylo vedeno do plynu v době, když se zpívalo Kol-Nidre. Nazí byli vedeni muži a ženy do krematoria za zpěvu Kol-Nidre a Hitikva. Pak byly opět jen menší selekce, až dne 1.1.1944 byla provedena velká selekce Dr. Mengelem a Thilomužském a ženském táboře. Totéž se opakovalo dne 19.I.1944. Po těchto selekcích zůstalo v táboře jen asi 800 Židů. Dne 7. 3. 1944 bylo provedeno zaplynování zářijového transportu z Terezína v počtu 5.000 osob.

Text from page5

Stalo se to následovně: Dne 7. března byl převeden celý transport do tábora B II a. Večer dne 8. března / Purim / v 11 h v noci dostali občerstvující balíčky a příkaz, aby napsali lístky s datem 27. března. Bylo jim řečeno, že přijdou do jiného táboraHeidebrecku. Aby byli zmateni, byli vedeni napřed do Osvětíma I a odtud zpět do Birkenau.

Při příjezdu prosincového transportu z Terezína se přihodilo, když byly lidem odebírány šperky a zlato, že si chtěla starší žena ponechat svůj snubní prsten. Rottenführer Waldemar Bedarf, VolksdeutscherPolska, vytrhl jí prsten násilím a bil ji. Bedarf byl též jedním z největších katůBirkenau. Transport, o kterém jsme se právě zmínili, přišel bez selekce do rodinného tábora B II b. Z toho transportu bylo posláno na práci 1625 mužů a asi 500 žen, ostatní byli v květnu 1944 zaplynováni, s výjimkou asi 80 dětí ve věku od 10 – 12 roků, které přišly do tábora d a později odjeli transportem.

Počínaje květnem 1944 přijížděly do Birkenau transporty maďarských Židů, nejprve ze Sedmihradska, pak ze Zakarpatské Ukrajiny. Denně přijíždělo 8 – 10 transportů, z nichž každý čítal 2000 osob. Selekce se prováděla na rampě. K likvidaci maďarských transportů byl zvláště určen J. Kramer. Celkem přijelo tehdy z Maďarska 800.000 Židů, z nichž přišlo do tábora 115.000, z větší části ženy. Po transportechMaďarska přijelo v srpnu několik transportůLodže v celkovém počtu asi 70.000 osob. Do tábora z nich přišlo asi 9.000. Asi ve stejné době přijelo 7.000 ženpolských pracovních táborů a z Lublína. Z lublínského pracovního tábora přijel transport asi 5000 osob nežidovského původu, mezi nimi asi 300 mladých, zdravých židovských žen a dívek. Tyto ženy přišly do karanténního tábora, odkud byly převedeny po 3 dnech do krematoriazaplynování. Bránily se, ale jejich odpor byl rychle zdolán. Vyslovily pak přání, aby jim bylo dáno větší množství plynu, kterému přání bylo vyhověno. Proč byly zaplynovány tyto mladé a práce schopné ženy, není známo.

Ještě před příjezdem maďarských transportů přijel v květnu 1944 transport z Terezína, který opět přišel bez selekce do českého rodinného tábora. Později byli práce schopní posláni pryč.

Na podzim 1944 přijela řada transportů z Terezína, celkem na 20.000 osob. Tyto transporty už nepřišly do rodinného tábora, jako dřívější z Terezína, nýbrž na rampě se prováděla selekce. Počet selektovaných osob není přesně znám, ale dá se říci, že z jednotlivých transportů nepřišlo do tábora více než 25 %. Na 24. ledna 1945 měla být připravená sauna pro zbytek terezínského obyvatelstva. Poněvadž u terezínských transportů – jako u všech ostatních – byly zaplynovány všechny matky, které měly u sebe děti, dostávaly matky někdy radu, aby daly své děti k starším ženám. Stávaly se i případy, že děti byly násilím odtrženy od matek. Jen zřídka se stalo, že matka věděla, co ji čeká, a že přesto odevzdala dítě. V některých případech děti, které měly již více rozumu a pochopily situaci, prohlásily, že jsou sirotky, a tím způsobem zachránily svoje rodiče.

Přijel-li menší transport, pod 50 osob, neplynovalo se, nýbrž účastníci byli zabiti ranou do týla, přičemž se používalo pistole s hřebíkem a pak byly mrtvoly spáleny. To se stalo také v krematoriích. Tyto popravy prováděli mimo jiné SSáci: Moll a jistý Unterschaarführer s přezdívkou Mojše Borek. K těmto popravám byly osoby, odsouzené k smrti, předvedeny jednotlivě, zvláštním komandem 12 vězňů, zvaným střelci. Mrtvoly pak byly odtaženy, tak, že příští nevěděl, co se děje, ačkoliv bylo vidět krev.

Text from page6

Po transportech z Terezína přijely transporty ze Slovenska, asi 10.000 osob. Praktikoval se obvyklý postup selekce.

Dne 10. prosince 1944 začalo se se strháváním krematorií I a II a bunkru V. Byl mobilisován celý tábor a zasazen k této práci, pod dohledem několika SSáků. Po tomto dni přijely již jen úplně malé transporty. Zaplynování se už nekonalo žádné. Plynové komory krematorií byly vyhozeny do povětří dne 7. ledna 1945, několik hodin před evakuací tábora. Krematorium IV zůstalo stát.

Během celé doby přijížděly menší a větší transporty ze všech evropských zemí. Jednou přiletěli letadlem 3 ŽidéTunisu, z Korfu a z Rhoda, americký námořní vojín židovského původu, kteří byli posláni později do plynu se skupinou těhotných žen. Na pesach 43 přijeli 2 rabíni ze Soluně, kteří měli výsadní postavení. Byly jim ponechány šaty, nebyly jim stříhány vlasy a vousy, nemuseli pracovat, často byli fotografováni a museli napsat dopis, že se jim daří dobře, a že vykonávají své duchovní funkce. Tato komedie netrvala dlouho. Byli posláni do plynu. Na podzim 1944 byly vybránymaďarských, terezínských a slovenských transportů dvojčata, liliputáni a jinak tělesně úchylné osoby a poslány do Krankenbau za účelem pokusů.

Birkenauští Lagerführeři byli od r. 1942 do léta 44: Obersturmführer Schwarzhuber, kterého krátkou dobu zastupoval Obersturmführer Thumann, posléze Obersturmführer Krause. Z Lagerältestrů z B I a a B I b uvádíme ještě Polku Steniu / obžalovanou t.č. v lüneburském procesu / a Slovenku Ilu KleinovouBardejova, které obě mají na svědomí nesčetné množství žen.

Podzemní hnutítáboře se začalo v květnu 1943 v sauně ve starém mužském táboře. Jeden polský Žid / Fuchs a 2 židéFrancie / Stein a Handelsmann / smluvili nejprve vzájemnou pomoc ilegálních pracovníků. Tato pomoc měla pozůstávati v tom, že ti, kteří pracovali na t.zv. lepších komandech, měli podporovat svoje soudruhy. Podklad hnutí nebyl ideologicky jasný. Bylo to podzemní osvobozenecké hnutí. Organisace byla umožněna tím, že v této době možnost pohybu v táboře byla větší než dříve. / Vězňové mohli se po práci scházeti, trest smrti byl zakázán atd./ Kruh byl dosti malý, poněvadž byly přijaty jen takové osoby, které byly známé ilegální prací již před táborem. Později byly také ženy, hlavně francouzské a polskéorganisaci. Co se národnosti týče, byli to hlavně polští a francouzští židé, také několik českých židů, několik židovek, jeden Němec nežidovského původu. Na začátku maďarských transportů mělo býti ukončeno zaplynování a rozhodli jsme se opatřit výbušné látky a zbraně. Dynamit opatřily ženy, pracující v komandu Union, Osvěčím I / muniční továrna / v malých dávkách. Z dynamitu se vyráběly v krematoriu I malé granáty vlastní konstrukce. S pomocí uvězněných Rusů se podařilo opatřit 4 revolvery, jeden belgický Žid opatřil pomocí Rusů jednu strojní pušku. Komité, které připravovalo povstání, sestávalo z Alexandra Lazara / Francie / a dvou polských Židů Davida a Minka, kteří bojovali ve španělské občanské válce. Aby byl dosažen styk s vnějším světem, byl Polák Kostek poslán k partyzánům v okolí. Po krátké době dostali jsme zvenčí příkaz, abychom nezačli žádnou akci bez pomoci zvenčí. Přesto pokračovali jsme v organisaci a vytvářeli buňky. Hnutí bylo v této době již dosti silné. Ku příkladu v Effektenlágru bylo v hnutí organisováno 110 osob. Případy zrady se nestaly nikdy. Byl zahájen styk s Rusy a společně s nimi byly konány příprav k povstání. Rusové stáli však také na stanovisku, že nemá býti podniknuto nic bez po

Text from page7
moci zvenčí. Dne 7. 10. 1944 ve 13 hodin mělo býti zaplynováno 300 mužů ze zvláštního komanda. Oni podnikli útok na krematorium III, hodili do ohně dynamitové granáty, krematorium III se vzňalo a lehlo popelem. Na místo se dostavila SS pod vedením Hauptsturmführera Hahna, který byl sám ozbrojen strojní puškou. Zabili 378 mužů. Půl hodiny na to zabilo Sonderkommando krematoria I svého vrchního kápo a vrhlo ho do ohně. Pak přestřihli dráty a volajíce: Rusové jsou tu začali utíkat. SS obklíčila okolí, všichni byli zastřeleni. Celkem bylo zabito v tento den 455 mužů. Celé toto povstání bylo akcí zvláštního komanda, jehož se ilegální organisace nezúčastnila, jelikož neměla rozkaz zvenčí.

Dne 17. ledna 1945 byla zahájena konečná likvidace tábora, v němž bylo t.č. ještě asi 6.000 osob. Dne 18. ledna likvidace byla zakončena. Zůstali tam jenom nemocnítábora B II f.

Dr. Robert Weinberger

Protokol sepsal: Dr. Robert Weinberger a Dr. Erich Nasch u příležitosti své návštěvy v Zeilsheimu u Frankfurtu.


  • Updated 10 months ago
The Czech lands (Bohemia, Moravia and Czech Silesia) were part of the Habsburg monarchy until the First World War, and of the Czechoslovak Republic between 1918 and 1938. Following the Munich Agreement in September 1938, the territories along the German and Austrian frontier were annexed by Germany (and a small part of Silesia by Poland). Most of these areas were reorganized as the Reichsgau Sudetenland, while areas in the West and South were attached to neighboring German Gaue. After these terr...
This collection originated as a documentation of the persecution and genocide of Jews in the Czech lands excluding the archival materials relating to the history of the Terezín ghetto, which forms a separate collection. The content of the collection comprises originals, copies and transcripts of official documents and personal estates, as well as prints, newspaper clippings, maps, memoirs and a small amount of non-written material. The Documents of Persecution collection is a source of informati...