Anonymous Jewish man, incarceration in Dachau after Kristallnacht


Testimony of a Jewish business owner recorded shortly after the November Pogrom in 1938 describing the progression of laws that led to the destruction of his business (and those of other Jews), including the boycott of Jewish businesses and suppliers, the refusal to issue travel permits, and the introduction of extra taxes. He also describes attacks on Jewish individuals and property, including mob attacks and window smashing. He goes on to describe in detail the events of the November Pogrom in his home and neighborhood, including attacks on his family and the destruction/seizure of his property. He and his brother were arrested in Munich shortly after and he describes what life was like for him and other Jewish men at the Dachau concentration camp, including attacks and incidents he observed during his short time there.


Document Text

  1. English
  2. German
Text from page1

The general Judengesetze 1Note 1 : laws relating to the Jews in the Third Reich are known. Before I go in detail into the events of 10th November 1938, I would like briefly to list the reasons which led to the ruin of our business. Customers started the boycott immediately after the seizure of power, it intensified continuously, not so much voluntarily as through coercive means on the part of the state and the Party. (Withdrawal of the Winterhilfe 2Note 2 : Winter Relief for the German People, welfare support, support for families with lots of children, exclusion of children from individual schools, threats of non-promotion of near relatives, exclusion [from] Party organisations etc.).

However, since this did not lead to the destruction of Jewish businesses fast enough for the Party, a boycott by suppliers was later instigated. First the Reichsnahrstand 3Note 3 : Reich Food Corporation blocked the delivery of flour and semolina, then consignments of foreign goods were also blocked (oil, citrus fruit, later partly cocoa, chocolate, rice). At the end of 1937 the National Salt Mines in Munich informed us that they would no longer supply salt; in the middle of 1938 the South German Sugar Works, with whom we had done a lot of business for decades, made the same announcement. At the same time, the manufacturers of branded goods partly started to block deliveries, first Oetker/Bielefeld.

Early on a number of customers cited the Party in cases of non-payment. Since all our demands were justified, we mostly took no notice of that, although we sometimes received directly threatening letters from the Party telling us not to take any action against debtors.

Initially, contact with the authorities was still polite. At the end of December 1937, the district office in Weißenburg refused to issue travel permits, which was actually nine months before the corresponding Reich law was passed. This made any travel impossible, which would inevitably lead to the demise of most wholesale businesses. In 1938, the Finanzamt 4Note 4 : tax office belatedly collected the sum of RM. 35,000.- for turnover tax, since allegedly the conditions for a reduction based on wholesale did not apply, even though there was a written permit from the Finanzamt.

Text from page2

During a meeting at the Finanzamt to apply for a refund the clerk said that if an appeal was lodged the regional tax office would carry out a further audit of turnover tax for the period up to 1935. This was indeed scheduled for November 1938 and was only not carried out because of the events in November.

In ... the situation was such that for years it had been almost impossible to let children out on the streets on their own. Adults were also not safe from being accosted by school children; until the start of 1938 complaints to the constabulary resulted in some peace, later even complaints were pointless. Window smashing was in part prevented by the glass insurance companies. Any purchases made in Jewish shops and talking to or greeting of a Jew by a non-Jew were immediately reported to the mayor who called the culprits in. They were excluded from city deliveries, support etc. In May 1938, hairdressers agreed en bloc not to serve Jews any more. Individual craftsmen had already done this earlier.

At the beginning of autumn 1938 during the Czech war crisis animosities visibly increased. Being jostled by people large and small, stone throwing, window smashing, removal of shutters during the day were not uncommon. The unrest and nervousness increased even further when it was learnt from various Jewish Gemeinden 5Note 5 : communities (Leutershausen, Ellingen etc.) that Jews had been forced to leave their houses on the high holidays, leaving their goods and chattels wherever they were, and sell the synagogues at ludicrously low prices (in some cases for a few marks).

I want to add that my 17-year-old daughter witnessed a mob attack during the Juniaktion 6Note 6 : June operation in Berlin. The Jewish girls boarding school was attacked; a telephone call to the Berlin Überfallkommando 7Note 7 : flying squad prompted the question as to whether non-Aryans were involved, in which case it would not be a matter for the Überfallkommando.

Text from page3

On 10th November 1938 between 4 and 5 o'clock in the morning I heard steps in the garden. When I looked out of the window eight to ten men (SA) were standing, heavily armed with axes, hatchets, daggers and revolvers. By the time I woke my wife and my 11-year-old son a man was already in the bedroom who ordered us to go to the basement and immediately started to smash everything to pieces: the washing jug and bowl, mirrors, windows, furniture, doors etc. After we (which included my sister-in-law and daughter) had been in the basement for a short time I was called up. When my daughter wanted to come with me she was pushed back. Somebody yelled at me: Du Lump 8Note 8 : you wretch, you know that since 12 o'clock midnight you have been declared fair game for us, give us your documents. By the time I had unlocked the desk I had received such a blow to the face that my glasses fell off and broke, my right eye swelled up heavily and my pupil was paralysed. The doctor explained later that I could have lost my sight from this blow. Then I was shoved into a corner and indiscriminately pelted with items of furniture. That I only sustained three flesh wounds and no serious injury has to be described as extremely lucky. In the meantime, the entire house was wrecked in the way described above. In the kitchen every last piece of crockery was smashed; in the basement my wife was hit on the head with a full tin of food; the women had to smash wine bottles and preserving jars themselves.

The mob came after the SA, then the school children; each party destroyed and stole yet more. It can be stated without any doubt that the SA took away the contents of the writing desk: a gentleman’s gold wristwatch, a new gentleman’s wristwatch, RM. 120.- in cash, a wedding ring, a necklace. A lady's gold wristwatch and a girl’s ring were also stolen on the same Thursday. It should be added that a part of the large tiled stoves and the grand piano were also destroyed.

By the time my wife got round to packing a few days later, all the wardrobes and drawers were almost completely empty, so that almost all the clothes and most of the underwear had been stolen. All Jewish homes in were treated in this or a similar way. In the meantime, the synagogue with all the Thorarollen 9Note 9 : Torah scrolls, all the prayer books, tefillin [phylacteries], tallits 10Note 10 : prayer shawls, the over-100-year-old Memorbuch 11Note 11 : memory book etc. were also set on fire and burnt. The unusable Thorarollen, which had been stored in the outbuilding, were not burnt. The city did not pay anything for the large plot where the synagogue, the bath house, the teacher's home had stood, nor for the outbuilding and the garden, since the cost for clearing up equalled its value. The Jewish cemetery was also repeatedly desecrated before and after the 10th November.

On the 10th November, after the various destruction operations, we were allowed to pack some underwear and clothes and had to go to the railway station through rows of the rabble and accompanied by their jeers. Other members of the Gemeinde were already there, others already left on earlier trains. Some who remained were badly mistreated the same evening; partly by the SA, in the Rathaus 12Note 12 : town hall the over 70-year-old doctor ... in particular, who was so upset by it that he took his own life. The remaining Jews had to leave town the following day, which brought the century-old Jewish Gemeinde to an end.

We went to Munich, where I met my brother who had travelled a few hours earlier. After a short stay my brother and I were arrested. After various personal details had been taken down we were taken to Dachau. There, various personal details were recorded again, we were photographed and had to wait for hours until we got to the bath house. There we were brought before the doctor after the bath and had to announce: Schutzhaftjude 13Note 13 : protective custody Jew X. respectfully reporting. Because we had not announced ourselves loud enough, with most of the other prisoners I was slapped round the face in front of the Stabsarzt 14Note 14 : medical officer. Examinations were not carried out; we were simply asked: Ill or had an accident?

Text from page4

However, the sick, the old, cripples, diabetics and the mentally subnormal all remained in custody; in our barrack e.g. an elderly gentleman who had polio, could hardly walk and speak and was incontinent.

After the examination we came out into the open from the warm bath house dressed only in short shirts, socks, trousers and cotton drill jacket. We all had to stand until midnight whether we had been imprisoned early that morning, like individual gentlemen from Munich, or later. SS men watched us and if anybody was seen not standing to attention properly there were slaps around the face and shoves. After 12 o'clock we were led to the barracks. There we received the only food of the day, tea and Kommissbrot 15Note 15 : army bread. The barracks themselves were split into four dormitories; each dormitory consisted of two rooms, intended for 50 men. However, they were occupied by 200. The washroom and toilet were accordingly insufficient. Initially four men had to make do with one towel, which was also used for drying the crockery. Later towels and underpants could be bought in the canteen.

The daily routine was roughly as follows: wake-up at 5 o'clock, wash, coffee. We were allowed to eat in the barracks, but there were blocks where almost always one had to eat and drink outside, i.e. standing. This depended on the Stubenältester 16Note 16 : room elders, who, of course, were never taken to task by the SS in charge for bad treatment of the Jews. Since the rooms had to be cleaned before the Appell 17Note 17 : roll call, it was necessary to leave them at half past 5. We then had to wait for some time on the camp road before we were led to the Appellplatz 18Note 18 : parade ground. After the Appell, the Zimmerdienst 19Note 19 : room cleaning group xx (which included me most of the time) was allowed to stand down, whereas most people had to march and do Exerzieren 20Note 20 : punitive drills in all weathers until after 11 o'clock. Initially Jewish former officers were allowed to be in charge, later only Aryans. After lunch, we usually had 30-60 minutes’ free time, then it was Appell again, marching and Exerzieren again and after a short break, evening Appell. After the evening meal we were free until bed time (8 o'clock).

On the Appellplatz as in the whole camp and even in the barracks. One was [never] safe from SS checks. These almost never passed without beatings and shoving. On one occasion I was helping a sick person along when an SS man came and ordered me to let him walk by himself and gave me a push from behind for no other reason. Similarly I had a broom thrown at my head when I did not carry out an order fast enough in the barracks, but, luckily, without being hit. Everybody had to go to the Appell, whether sick or old. So it happened that the sick and weak often had to be carried by 2-4 men. People who reported to the Revier 21Note 21 : sick bay or the doctor were often sent away 2-3 times before they were seen; then they were often discharged without any or insufficient examination and without decent treatment.

Special events

On one occasion all the Jewish blocks (c. 10,000 men) had to stand on the Appellplatz from lunchtime till 6 o'clock in the evening. Standing still for 30-60 minutes on the Appellplatz was not uncommon, especially during the evening Appell we were often bullied by having to stand still for longer than usual instead of being allowed to move.

An SS man asked an acquaintance (aged over 70) his name. When he gave it without the prerequisite addition Schutzhaftjude he was twice slapped round the face so hard that he fell over. Shortly afterwards the man was released and died two days [after] his release, another man 2 hours after his return to Munich.

An approximately 60-year-old man with a bladder complaint asked to be allowed to relieve himself. When this was refused and he replied something, he was hit so hard that he fell over. His comrades were forbidden to help him up. In the presence of the SS he was so badly beaten by the Stubenälteste (an Aryan prisoner) that he was dead when he was carried off the square.

One evening a Munich Sanitätsrat 22Note 22 : medical consultant reported to the doctor with appendix pains. He was refused treatment and had to return to the barracks. The following morning the Sanitätsrat called for help. A few minutes later a colleague had to confirm that he was dead. It could not be ascertained whether a ruptured appendix or heart attack had been the cause.

Text from page5

One gentleman died of a heart attack on the Appellplatz. He was simply left there and it took 20-30 minutes before the Sanitätspersonal 23Note 23 : medical orderlies came to pick him up with the words Another one's croaked.

On release day after having coffee we had to stand from 5 o'clock in the morning until the train left Dachau at 4 o'clock in the afternoon without any other food.

According to Aryan prisoners, the whole Juden-Aktion 24Note 24 : Jews operation of November 1938, as the matter was called in the files, had no connection with the vom Rath affair, since preparations in Dachau had been completed considerably earlier.

Even whilst I was still in Dachau, my wife was threatened that I would not be released from the concentration camp until my siblings abroad had their mortgages on my property cancelled. In fact, although I was released earlier I had to sell my house for RM. 14,000- which had a value of at least RM. 23,000.- taking all the warehouses into account. A further RM. 2,500.- was deducted from that for damages caused by the SA on 10th November during their wild frenzy of destruction.

In the above report I have, almost without exception, mentioned only facts that I have seen with my own eyes; anything else, especially from other blocks, I have left out, even if it had been reported by an absolutely trustworthy source.

Text from page1

Die allgemeinen Judengesetze des 3. Reiches sind bekannt. Bevor ich auf die Ereignisse des 30. November 1938 eingehe, will ich kurz die Gründe anführen, die zur Vernichtung unseres Geschäftes führten. Der Boykott seitens der Kundschaft setzte sofort mit der Machtübernahme ein, verschärfte sich immer mehr, weniger freiwillig als durch Zwangsmittel des Staates und der Partei. (Entzug der Winterhilfe, der Fürsorge, der Kinderreichen-Unterstützung, Ausschluss der Kinder von einzelnen Schulen, Drohung der Nichtbeförderung der nahen Verwandten, Ausschluss von Parteiorganisationen etc.

Da dies der Partei aber nicht schnelle genug zur Vernichtung der jüdischen Geschäfte führte, setzte später der Boykott seitens der Lieferanten ein. Zuerst liess der Reichsnährstand die Lieferung von Mehl und Griess sperren, dann kamen die Sperrungen der Kontingente der Auslandsartikel (Oel [sic], Südfrüchte, später teilweise Kakao, Schokolade, Reis ) Ende 1937 teilten uns die staatlichen Salinen München mit, dass sie nicht mehr Salz liefern, Mitte 1938 machte die Süddeutsche Zuckerfabrik, mit welcher wir seit vielen Jahrzehnten grosse Umsätze hatte [sic], diesselbe Mitteilung. Zur gleichen Zeit fingen auch teilweise die Markenartikellieferanten an, die Lieferung zu sperren, zuerst Oethker/Bielefeld.

Frühzeitig haben sich auch eine Anzahl Kunden bei Nichtzahlung auf die Partei berufen. Da alle unsere Forderungen einwandsfrei waren, nahmen wir meistens keine Kenntnis davon, obwohl wir teilweise direkte Drohbriefe von der Partei erhielten, nicht gegen die Schuldner vorzugehen.

Mit den Behörden war anfangs der Verkehr noch korrekt. Ende Debr 1937 verweigerte das Bezirksamt Weissenburg die Ausstellung der Reiselegitimationskarten, also schon 9 Monate vor Erlass des diesbezüglichen Reichsgesetzes. Damit war jede Reisetätigkeit unmöglich, was in den meisten Grosshandlungen zum Untergang des Geschäftes führen musste. Das Finanzamt erhob im Herbst 1938 eine Summe von über RM 35000.-. für Umsatzsteuer nach, da angeblich die Voraussetzungen der Grosshandels-Ermässigung nicht gegeben waren, obwohl eine schriftliche Genehmigung des Finanzamt

Text from page2

vorlag. Bei seiner Besprechung im Finanzamt wegen Rekalamtion sagte der Sachbearbeiter, das Landesfinanzamt werde bei Einlegung einer Beschwerde noch eine weitere Buchpfrüfung der Umsatzsteuer vor 1935 vornehmen. Tatsächlich wurde diesselbe auch für anfangs November 1938 angesetzt und ist durch die November-Ereignisse unterblieben.

Ja ..... war die Lage so, dass es oben seit Jahren fast unmöglich war, die Kinder allein durch die Strasse gehen zu lassen. Die Anpöbelung seitens der Schuljugend hielt auch vor Erwachsenen nicht halt.; bis anfangs 1938 hatten Beschwerden bei der Gendarmerie für kurze Zeit Ruhe gegeben, später waren auch Beschwerden zwecklos. Das Einschlagen der Fenster wurde teilweise durch die Glasversicherungs-Gesellschaften unterbunden. Jedes Kaufen in jüdischen Geschäften, jedes Sprechen oder Grüssen eines Juden durch einen Nichtjuden wurde sofort dem Bürgermeister gemeldet, welcher sofort die Frevler zu sich kommen liess. Sie wurden von städt. Lieferungen, Unterstützungen etc. ausgeschlossen. Im Mai 1938 haben die Friseure in ihrer Gesamtheit beschlossen, Juden nicht mehr zu bedienen. Einzelne Handwerker hatten dies schon früher getan.

Anfangs Herbst 1938 bei der tschechische [sic] Kriegskrise nahm die Feindseligkeit der Bevölkerung sichtlich zu. Anrempelungen von gross & klein, Steinwerfen, Fenster-Einwerfen, Aushängen der Fensterläden bei Tag waren nichts seltenes. Die Unruhe und die Nervosität nahm noch zu als von verschiedenen jüdischen Gemeinden gehört wurde (Leuthauser, Ellingen etc) dass die Juden an den hohen Feiertagen gezwungen wurden, ihre Häuser zu verlassen, ihr Hab und Gut stehen zu lassen und die Synagogen zu Spottpreisen (teilweise um wenige Mark) zu verkaufen.

Einschalten will ich noch, dass meine 17 jhg. Tochter bei einem Überfall des Pöbels bei der Juni-Aktion in Berlin dabei war. Es wurde das jüdische Mädchenheim überfallen; auf einen Telefonanruf bei dem Ueberfallkommando der Hauptstadt Berlin kam die Rückfrage, ob es sich um Nichtarier handelt, dann sei das Ueberfallkommando nicht zuständig.

Text from page3

Am 10. November 1938 zwischen 4-5 Uhr hörte ich Schritte im Garten. Als ich zum Fenster hinaussah, standen 8-10 Mann (S.A.) stark bewaffnet mit Aexten, Beilen, Dolchen und Revolver. Bis ich meine Frau und meinen 11jährigen Sohn weckte, war bereits ein Mann im Schlafzimmer, befahl uns in den Keller zu gehen und fing sofort an, alles klein zu schlagen: Waschgeschirr, Spiegel, Fenster, Möbel, Türen etc. Als wir (auch meine Schwägerin und Tochter) kurze Zeit später im Keller waren, wurde ich heraufgerufen. Als meine Tochter mich beleiten wollte, wurde sie zurückgestossen. Ich wurde angeschrien: Du Lump, Du weisst doch, dass Ihr uns seit nachts um 12 Uhr freigegeben seid, gib uns Deine Schriftstücke – Bis ich den Schreibtisch aufschloss, bekam ich einen derartigen Schlag ins Gesicht, dass meine Brille herunterfiel und zersprang, mein rechtes Auge stark anschwoll und meine Pupille gelähmt wurde. Der Arzt erklärte später, dass durch den Schlag auch das Augenlicht hätte verloren sein können. Dann wurde ich in die Ecke gestellt und wahllos Möbelstücke nach mir geworfen. Dass ich dabei nur 3 Fleischwunden erhielt und mir keine ernstlichen Verletzungen zuzog, muss als besonderes Glück bezeichnet werden. Inzwischen wurde das ganze Haus in der oben erwähnten Weise zertrümmert. In der Küche wurde das Geschirr restlos zerschlagen; im Keller wurde meiner Frau eine volle Konservenbüchse an den Kopf geworfen; Weinflaschen und und Weckgläser mussten die Frauen selbst zerschlagen. Nach der S.A., kam der Plebs, dann die Schuljugend; jede Partei hat noch weiter vernichtet und gestohlen. Einwandsfrei festzustellen ist, dass die S.A. mit dem Inhalt des Schreibtisches mitnahm: 1 gold. Herrenarmbanduhr, 1 neue Herrenarmbanduhr, Rm 120.-. in Bar, 1 Ehering, ein Collier, Eine goldene Damenarmbanduhr und ein Mädchenring wurden ebenfalls Donnerstag noch gestohlen. Nachzutragen ist noch, dass ein Teil der grossen Kachelöfen sowie der Flügel ebenfalls zerstört wurden.

Bis meine Frau nach einigen Tagen zum Packen gekommen ist, waren sämtliche Schränke und Schubladen fast restlos leer, sodass fast die ganzen Kleider und der grösste Teil der Wäsche gestohlen wurde. So und ähnlich wurden sämtliche Judenwohnungen in..... behandelt. Inzwischen wurde auch die Synagoge mit sämtlichen Torarollen, sämtlichen Gebetbüchern, Tefllin, Tallesim, dem über 100 Jahr [sic] alten Menorbuch etc. angezündet und verbrannt. Die unbrauchbaren Torarollen, die im Nebengebäude aufbewahrt waren, sind nicht mitverbrannt. Für den grossen Platz, auf dem die Synagoge, das Bad, die Lehrerwohnung standen, für das Nebengebäude und den Garten zahlt die Stadt nichts, da die Aufräumungskosten sich mit dem Wert ausgeglichen haben. Vor und nach dem 10. Nobr. wurde auch wiederholt der jüdische Friedhof geschändet.

Wir durften am 10. November nach den verschiedenen Zerstörungsactionen [sic] etwas Wäsche und Kleider packen und mussten zwischen dem Spalier des Pöbels und unter dessen Hohngelächter zum Bahnhof. Dort waren bereits andere Mitglieder der Gemeinde, nach andere [sic] schon mit früheren Zügen abgefahren sind. Einige zurückgebliebene wurden noch abends stark misshandelt; teilweise von S.A., im Rathhaus insbesondere der mehr als 70 jhg. Arzt...., der sich aus Aufregung darüber das Leben nahm. Die restlichen Juden mussten die Stadt am anderen Tag verlassen, womit die jahrhundert alte jüdische Gemeinde ihr Ende gefunden hat.

Wir fuhren nach München Dort traf ich meinen Bruder, der schon einige Stunden früher fuhr. Nach kurzem Aufenthalt wurden mein Bruder und ich verhaftet. Nach verschiedenen Personalaufnahmen wurden wir nach Dachau gebracht. Auch dort hatten wir verschiedene Personalaufnahmen zu erledigen, wurden fotografiert und mussten stundenlang warten bis wir ins Badehaus kamen. Dort wurden nach dem Bade dem Arzt unter der Meldung vorgeführt: Schutzhaftjude N.N. meldet sich gehorsamst zur Stelle ich wie die meisten Häftlinge bekamen im Beisein des Stabsarztes Ohrfeigen rechts und links, weil die Meldung nicht laut genug war. Untersuchung wurde nicht vorgenommen; es wurde nur gefragt krank oder Unfall gehabt. [sic]

Text from page4

In Haft blieben aber alle, Kranke, Alte, Krüppel, Zuckerkranke, Geistig-Minderwertige; in unserer Baracke z.B. ein Herr, der spinale Kinderlähmung hatte, kaum gehen und sprechen und sich nicht einmal rein halten konnte.

Nach der Untersuchung kamen wir aus dem warmen Badehaus, bekleidet mit nur einem kurzen Hemde, Socken, Hose und Drillingjacke ins Freie. Wir alle, ob wir Münchener Herren schon am frühen Morgen oder später eingeliefert wurden, mussten bis nachts 12 Uhr stehen. SS-Männer beaufsichtigten uns und wenn einer gesehen wurde, der nicht genügend stramm stand, gab es Ohrfeigen oder Stösse. Nach 12 Uhr wurden wir in die Baracken geführt. Dort gab es als einziges Essen des Tages Tee und Kommisbrot. Die Baracken selbst waren in 4 Stuben eingeteilt; jede Stube bestand aus zwei Zimmern, berechnet für eine Belegschaft von 50 Mann. Belegt waren sie mit je 200 Mann. Dementsprechend waren auch Waschraum und Toilette ungenügend. Anfangs mussten sich 4 Mann mit einem Handtuch begnügen, welches auch zum Trocknen der Essgeschirre verwendet wurde. Später waren Handtücher sowie auch Unterhosen in der Kantine käuflich.

Die Tageseinteilung war ungefähr folgende: Wecken 5 Uhr; Waschen Kaffeetrinken. Wir durften in der Baracke essen und trinken; es gab aber Blöcke, die fast immer im Freien, also im Stehen essen und trinken mussten. Es hing dies von den Stubenältesten ab, die natürlich von der aufsichtsführenden SS niemals/wegen (see document) schlechter Behandlung der Juden zur Rede gestellt wurden. Da vor dem Appel die Stuben gereinigt wurden, war es nötig diesselben um 5 ½ Uhr zu verlassen. Wir mussten dann längere Zeit in der Lagerstrasse warten bis wir zum Appelplatz geführt wurden. Nach Beendigung des Appels durfte der Zimmerdienst x.x. (wozu ich auch meistens gehörte) abtreten, während die Masse bei jedem Wettter bis nach 11 Uhr marschieren und exerzieren musste. Anfangs durften jüdische Offiziere befehlen, später nur Arier. Nach dem Mittagessen hatten wir meistens 30-60 Minuten freie Zeit, dann war wieder Appell, wieder Marschieren und Exerzieren und nach kurzer Pause Abendappell. Nach dem Abendessen war bis zur Zubett-Gehen [sic!] (8 Uhr) Freizeit. Auf dem Appellplatz wie im ganzen Lager und auch in den Baracken

Text from page5

stelltwerden. Ein Herr verstarb infolge eines Herzschlages am Appelplatz. Er wurde einfach liegen gelassen und es dauerte 20-30 Minuten bis er von dem Sanitätspersonal mit den Worten Wieder einer verreckt geholt wurde.

Am Entlassungstag mussten wir von früh 5 Uhr nach Einnahme des Kaffees ohne weiteres Essen bis zum Abgang des Zuges in Dachau 4 Uhr nachm. stehen.

Nach Ansicht arischer Gefangener stand die gnaze Juden-Action [sic] November 1938, so wurde auf den Akten die Angelegenheit genannt, in keinem Zusammenhang mit der Affaire Rat, da die Vorbereitung in Dachau schon wesentlich früher abgeschlossen waren.

Noch während ich in Dachau war, wurde meiner Frau gedroht, ich käme nicht eher aus dem K.L. bis meine ausländischen Geschwister ihre Hypotheken auf mein Anwesen löschen lassen. Ich bin zwar tatsächlich früher entlassen worden, musste aber mein Haus, das unter Berücksichtigung der gesamten Lager einen Wert von mindestens Rm 23000.-. darstellte, zu RM 14?000.-. [sic] verkaufen. Hievon [sic] wurden noch RM 2500.-. gekürzt für die Schäden, die bei der Aktion am 10. Noveb. die SA durch wilde Vernichtungswut verursachte.

Ich habe in dem obigen Bericht fast ausnahmslos nur Tatsachen erwähnt, die ich mit eigenen Augen gesehen habe und alles andere insbesondere auch von anderen Blocks, wenn es auch mit von durchaus glaubwürdiger Seite berichtet wurde, weggelassen.


  • Updated 4 years ago
The United Kingdom declared war on Nazi Germany on 3 September 1939, after the German invasion of Poland. After the defeat of France in the spring of 1940, the British Expeditionary Force withdrew from the European Continent. Although the Channel Islands near the French coast did fall into German hands, from the summer of 1940 until 1945, mainland Britain resisted German invasion and became a refuge for many governments-in-exile and refugees of the occupied countries in Europe. At the outbrea...

Wiener Holocaust Library

  • Wiener Library for the Study of the Holocaust & Genocide
<p><span style="color: #ff0000;"><strong>Readers should use online version via link below</strong></span></p><p>This is a collection of 356 reports gathered in the weeks and months following the November Pogrom of 1938 by the Jewish Central Information Office (JCIO) in Amsterdam. Each report has a unique number in the sequence from B.1 to B.353 (B. presumably is an abbreviation of Bericht [report]) with five additions (B.62a, B.175a, B.333a, plus B.1001 and B.1002 at the end), and two unused num...