Leon Perelsztejn, the preparations and rebellion of prisoners in the Treblinka extermination camp


Testimony of Leon Perelsztejn, who after his arrest in Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski was sent to the Treblinka extermination camp, where he was assigned to work at the tool house. He describes the crematoria and methods of burning corpses as well as his role in organizing the camp revolt.


Document Text

  1. English
  2. Polish
Text from page1

Testimony of Leon Perelsztejn

Born January 13, 1902, in Warsaw

Residing at Grochów, ul. Stanisława Augusta 24

Regarding the prisonersrebellion, and preparations leading up to it, at the Treblinka extermination camp

On September 27, 1942, I was arrested in Ostrowiec Kielecki; I had fled there from Warsaw in order to avoid being put in the ghetto and taken to Treblinka. I was at Treblinka from late September 1942 until August 2, 1943.

The camp at Treblinka was a typical extermination camp. Jews from all over Poland and from abroad were brought there. During the month of October, until November, I was assigned to the group of Jewish workers that was sorting clothing [of the Jews who had been killed]. Later I was appointed as the warehouseman for the toolshop, where I worked till my escape from the camp. People were exterminated in the following way: every day, a transport of about twelve to twenty thousand people arrived. Three trains a day arrived at the camp by the branch line. On average, the train had 60 cars with one hundred people each. After arriving, the people would be taken to the courtyard, which was surrounded by barracks. They were told to strip naked, and their belongings were piled in a heap. There were women, children and old people among those who arrived. Within two hours, the entire transport would be murdered. This happened in the following way: in the barracks there were shower stalls, 10 stalls; people would be sent to the baths, one hundred people to a stall. In the stalls, there were towels and washbasins, which made it seem like real baths. After they were let in, with the push of a button, the doors would be hermetically sealed and the people

Text from page2
would be suffocated with some kind of gas, what kind, I do not know, within ten minutes. Ten minutes later, the floor moved aside automatically and the bodies fell into a hole several meters deep. A ditch several meters wide went from the pit for many hundreds of meters. The corpses were pulled on stretcher-carts by workers and carried out to piles, after which they were doused with gasoline and burned. Before people entered the stalls, their gold teeth were ripped out and women’s hair was cut, the hair and gold were sent outside the camp. The prisoners who were ill were separated from each transport and taken to a fence covered with a hedge with a sign that said Lazaret where they would be taken one by one [and] an SS man holding a revolver or a machine gun would kill them. Prisoners with Red Cross armbands would put the corpses in piles and burn them immediately.

Untersturmführer Franz was in charge, he was the camp commandant. His deputy was Hauptscharführer Kittner. Kittner’s deputy was Scharführer Mitte. They were Germans from the SS (Sonderkommando). There were forty-odd Germans. In addition to them, there were approximately 200 Ukrainians in the German service who, as camp guards, also wore green uniforms and badges with the death’s-head and SS. As a warehouseman, I could walk all over the entire camp, since my job was to check the tools of workers who were doing various tasks in groups.

A prisoner named eng[ineer] Galewski from Warsaw was in charge of the prisoner-workers, he was [also] a prisoner, a very decent person, who knew about our conspiracy and who, although he was not taking an active part in it, used to help all of us carry out our plans.

Text from page3
In the warehouse where I was working, the idea for an armed revolt came up. About 150 meters from the warehouse was a weapons storeroom. We decided to get inside. A prisoner who was a locksmith had already made a key to the storeroom in March before my arrival, he carried it with him and did not let on in any way [that he was involved]. Grundland the capo from the camp hospital and I, along with a tailor from Kielce, who was about 46 years old, Moniek, the capo from the first barracks, who was about 18 or 19, one [fellow] known as Jacek, and several other people, whose names I don’t remember, neither first nor last names, worked out a plan to take over the weapons storeroom, which we did on August 2, 1943.

Our first earlier attempt was unsuccessful and twelve people - who had been betrayed by a prisoner, a man who used to make wire mesh for a living from Częstochowa - paid for it with their lives. We were supposed to take over the warehouse and begin the action around July 12, 1943. Having been unable to get into the weapons storeroom that day, we postponed the action. A few days later, fourteen people from various work columns who had been taking part in the conspiracy were taken away. I was released along with a certain turner, whose name I do not remember, because there were no other prisoners to work in our positions, and despite being beaten, we did not confess and they did not have any evidence against us. Those twelve were taken away to Treblinka II, 1Note 1 : The extermination camp is described in the literature as Treblinka II, and the labor camp next to it as Treblinka I. The witness calls Treblinka I part of the camp in which prisoners were kept, Treblinka II as the actual extermination center and Treblinka III as the labor camp where they were shot. We did not see them die, but we heard the shots from a distance of 300 meters.

We did not stop working on new plans for a revolt, however. At night, we worked in strict secrecy. In each group of workers, we chose people, former soldiers, who knew how to use weapons, and we assigned them specific military tasks in the action and did not make them privy to our plans, and told them to wait for our signal. We assigned three to set the barracks on fire

Text from page4
with gasoline. I had the task of storming the camp headquarters, destroying the telephone and disposing of the secretary, the SS-man Messing, and the Stabsscharführer Stadi, 2Note 2 : Stabsscharführer was not a rank but a position of company sergeant major. which I was to do with eight other people. The locksmith gave us the key. Two boys, 18 or 19 years old, who worked cleaning the barracks, observed the weapons storeroom for two weeks and had the task of getting inside and passing the weapons through the barred window. The masons were supposed to come with carts used for carting away rubble and take the weapons to the garage, where there was an enormous cellar. From there, when the signal was given, the weapons were to be distributed and the action was to start. The second and final attempt was to be made on August 2, at 4:15 p.m., which was when the fighting was supposed to begin. One of the cleaners, Jacek, entered the weapons storeroom at 1:15 p.m., the second stood at the door on guard. Jacek passed all the weapons through the window to the men with the carts. They took them to the garage. At 2:30 p.m., weapons began to be distributed from the garage to all the groups of workers throughout the entire camp. All the designated former soldiers got weapons. At 4:15 p.m., when the action was supposed to start, I was waiting at the storeroom with a revolver that had been ready for a month. The detailed plan had been set for that time because a train of Jewish and Polish prisoners going from work from Małkinia to Treblinka III 3Note 3 : Treblinka III – labor camp (actually Treblinka I). would pass through the camp as it did every day at that time, and we wanted to intercept them and have them join our action. They were not privy to the plan. At 3:35 p.m., two workers who came to the barracks for their things roused the suspicion of the confidant Kuba, the barracks elder, who summoned Hauptscharführer Kittner. Kittner summoned them to the square in front of my door, searched them, found money on them, began to whip them and wanted to shoot them.
Text from page5
When I saw that, I gave the signal to start the action through the back window. The tailor Zalcberg, from the second barracks, began shooting at Kittner. Kittner started running towards his barracks to get a machine gun. The action began. No longer able to carry out my task, my people and I cut through the barbed wire in order to get to the back entrance to the tower, where the Ukrainians were. A former lieutenant in the Czech army, whose first name was Rudolf, had the most important task. He and a second prisoner from Czechoslovakia took a heavy machine gun by cart with some people to the camp zoo, went into the little tower and began shooting at the camp’s headquarters and the guard posts. None of the Germans or Ukrainians who were there could get out, and they all died.

The barracks were set on fire. During the fighting, many prisoners died, but almost the entire camp staff at that time died on the spot. The whole camp was on fire. I saw Kittner and SS-man Suchomil die with my own eyes, shot in a barracks window. The SS-man, head of the SS Strasebahn, whose last name I do not remember, was killed by a prisoner who worked as a driver. His killer was shot by some Ukrainian. The action was lightning-quick. At 4:30 p.m. the entire camp, with or without weapons, was free. And we fled to the surrounding forests. No one chased us. Unfortunately we did not manage to include the train with the workers, because when shots were heard, it was stopped before it reached us. Everyone who was [physically] able escaped from Treblinka I and II. Engineer Galewski escaped with me. Unfortunately after a few kilometers, his nerves failed him, he took some poison from his pocket, swallowed it and died immediately, right in front of my eyes. I escaped

Text from page6
into the forest with a group of several other prisoners, and after two weeks of wandering, I made it to my family, where I hid. I was in the Opatów and Kielce regions the whole time, until those areas were liberated by the Red Army. On January 21, 1945, I was in Praga, where I am now living. All the facts I have described are true. I read this document before signing it.

Warsaw, March 9, 1945

(-) Leon Perelsztejn

Recorded by B. Świderski, M.A.

Text from page1


Leona Perelsztejna

urodzonego 13.1.1906 roku w Warszawie

zam. Grochów, ul. Stanisława Augusta 24

O przygotowaniach i buncie więźniów w obozie zagłady Treblinka

W dniu 27 września 1942 roku zostałem aresztowany w Ostrowcu Kieleckim, dokąd uciekłem z Warszawy celem uniknięcia osadzenia w getto i zawieziony do Treblinki. W Treblince I przebywałem od końca września 1942 roku do dnia 2 sierpnia 1943 roku.

Obóz w Treblince był typowym obozem zagłady. Zwożono do niego Żydów ze wszystkich części Polski i z zagranicy. Przydzielono mnie do partii robotników Żydów przy sortowaniu ubrań przez miesiąc październik do listopada. Później zostałem powołany jako magazynier narzędziowni, gdzie pracowałem do ucieczki z obozu. Wyniszczanie ludzi odbywało się w ten sposób: Codzień przybywał transport ludzi w ilości około 12-tu tysięcy do 20-tu tysięcy. Na bocznicę na terenie obozu zajeżdżały pociągi po trzy dziennie. Pociąg liczył przeciętnie 60 wagonów po sto osób. Przywiezionych wprowadzano na dziedziniec otoczony barakami. Kazano im się rozebrać do naga, rzeczy składano na stosy. Wśród przywiezionych byli kobiety, dzieci i starcy. W ciągu dwóch godzin cały transport był wymordowany. Trwało to w następujący sposób: w barakach były kabiny, 10 kabin, do których wpuszczano do łaźni po sto osób do każdej, w kabinach były ręczniki i miski, sprawiały one wrażenie prawdziwej łaźni. Po wpuszczeniu ludzi, za naciśnięciem guzika, automatycznie zamykały się hermetycznie drzwi i ludzie

Text from page2
byli duszeni jakimś gazem, jakim nie wiem, w ciągu dziesięciu minut. Po dziesięciu minutach podłoga rozsuwała się automatycznie i ciała wpadały do dołu kilkumetrowej głębokości. Od dołu ciągnął się rów szerokości kilku metrów na przestrzeni wielu setek metrów. Przez robotników więźniów trupy były wyciągane i na wozach-noszach wynoszone na stosy, poczem po zlaniu ropą naftową palone. Przed wejściem do kabin ludziom wyrywano złote zęby i obcinano włosy kobietom, włosy i złoto były wywożone. Z każdego transportu oddzielano więźniów chorych i prowadzono do ogrodzenia zasłoniętego żywopłotem z napisem lazaret gdzie prowadzono ich po kolei SS-man z rewolwerem w ręku lub z automatu zabijał. Więźniowie z opaskami czerwonego krzyża składali trupy na stosy i niezwłocznie palili.

Na czele obozu stał Untersturmführer Franz, który był komendantem obozu. Jego zastępcą był Hauptscharführer Kittner. Zastępcą Kittnera był Scharführer Mitte. To byli Niemcy z formacji SS (Sonderkommando). Niemców było około czterdziestu kilku. Oprócz nich straż obozu składała się z około 200 Ukraińców w służbie niemieckiej, którzy również nosili mundury zielone i odznaki trupiej główki i SS. Jako magazynier chodziłem po terenie całego obozu, gdyż kontrolowałem narzędzia u robotników, którzy pracowali w grupach przy różnych robotach.

Na czele więźniówrobotników stał więzień inż. Galewski z Warszawy, więzień, który był bardzo przyzwoitym człowiekiem, który wiedział naszym spisku i aczkolwiek nie brał w nim czynnego udziału, wszystkim nam pomagał w realizacji naszych planów.

Text from page3
W magazynie, gdzie pracowałem, powstała myśl zbrojnej akcji. Około 150 metrów od magazynu był magazyn broni. Postanowiliśmy do niego się dostać. Więzień-ślusarz dorobił do niego już w marcu przed moim przybyciem klucz, do magazynu, miał go przy sobie i z niczym się nie zdradzał. Ja oraz Capo Grundland z lazaretu oraz pewien krawiec z Kielc lat około 46, capo Moniek z baraku I lat 18-19, jeden znany jako Jacek i kilku innych ludzi, których nazwisk względnie imion nie pamiętam opracowaliśmy plan opanowania magazynu i wykonaliśmy to w dniu 2 sierpnia 1943 roku.

Pierwsza poprzednia próba nam się nie udała i przypłaciło ją śmiercią 12-tu ludzi zdradzonych przez pewnego więźnia siatkarza z Częstochowy. Mieliśmy opanować magazyn i rozpocząć akcję około 12-go lipca 1943 roku. Nie mogąc się w tym dniu dostać do magazynu akcję odłożyliśmy. Po kilku dniach zabrano nas 14-tu biorących udział w spisku z różnych kolumn robotniczych. Mnie i pewnego tokarza, nazwiska jego nie pamiętam, zwolniono, ponieważ nie było innych więźniów na nasze stanowiska i mimo bicia nie przyznaliśmy się i nie mieli dowodów na nas. Tych 12-tu odprowadzono do Treblinki II, gdzie zostali zastrzeleni. Śmierci ich nie widzieliśmy, ale słyszeliśmy strzały z odległości 300 mtr.

Nie zaprzestaliśmy jednak pracy nad zorganizowaniem buntu na nowo. Pracowaliśmy nocami w ścisłej tajemnicy. W każdej grupie robotników wybraliśmy ludzi byłych wojskowych, którzy znali się na obchodzeniu z bronią, wyznaczyliśmy im dokładnie zadania bojowe w akcji i nie wtajemniczaliśmy ich w nasze plany, kazaliśmy im czekać na nasze hasło. Trzech wyznaczyliśmy do podpalenia

Text from page4
baraków za pomocą benzyny. Ja miałem za zadanie wpaść do sztabu obozu, zniszczyć telefon i unieszkodliwić sekretarza SS-owca Messinga i Stabsscharführera Stadi, co miałem wykonać z ośmioma ludźmi. Ślusarz dostarczył klucza. Dwaj chłopcy 18-19 letni, sprzątający baraki obserwowali przez dwa tygodnie magazyn broni i mieli za zadanie tam się dostać i wydać przez zakratowane okno broń. Murarze mieli podjechać wózkami do wywożenia gruzu i broń wywieść do garażu, gdzie była wielka piwnica. Stamtąd na dany znak broń miała być wydana i rozpoczęta akcja. Drugą i ostatnią próbę wyznaczyliśmy na dzień 2 sierpnia godzina 16 minut 15, o której miała się rozpocząć walka. Jeden ze sprzątaczy Jacek wszedł do magazynu broni o godzinie 13-15, drugi stał przy drzwiach i pilnował. Jacek wydał przez okno wszystką broń wózkarzom. Oni zwieźli ją do garażu. Z garażu o godzinie 14 minut 30 rozpoczęło się wydawanie broni na wszystkie grupy robotników rozrzucone po całym obozie. Broń otrzymali wszyscy byli wojskowi, którzy byli wyznaczeni. Ja oczekiwałem w magazynie z rewolwerem, przyszykowanym od miesiąca, na godzinę 16 minut 15, o której akcja miała się rozpocząć. Drobiazgowy plan ustalony był na tę godzinę, gdyż ponieważ w tym czasie miał jak codzień przejeżdżać przez teren obozu pociąg więźniów Żydów i Polaków z robót z Małkini do Treblinki III, który chcieliśmy odbić i włączyć do naszej akcji. Oni nie byli wtajemniczeni. O godzinie 15 minut 35 dwóch robotników, którzy przyszli do swego baraku po swoje rzeczy, zwróciło uwagę komendanta baraku konfidenta Kuby, który zawołał Hauptscharführera Kittnera. Kittner wezwał ich na plac przed moimi drzwiami, zrewidował, znalazł przy nich pieniądze, zaczął ich bić nahajką i chciał ich zastrzelić.
Text from page5
Widząc to dałem przez tylne okno znak do rozpoczęcia akcji. Krawiec Zalcbergz baraku drugiego zaczął strzelać do Kittnera. Kittner zaczął uciekać do swego baraku po broń maszynową. Akcja się rozpoczęła. Nie mogąc już wykonać swego zadania rozerwałem z moimi ludźmi druty kolczaste ażeby dostać się do tylnego wyjścia do wieży, gdzie byli ukraińcy. Największe zadanie miał były porucznik armii czeskiej imieniem Rudolf. On z drugim więźniem z Czech zawiózł z ludźmi wózkiem C.K.M. na teren zwierzyńca obozowego, wszedł na wieżyczkę i z niej rozpoczął obstrzał sztabu obozu i wartowni. Nikt z Niemców i Ukraińców tam się znajdujących nie mógł się tam wydostać i wszyscy zginęli.

Baraki zostały podpalone. W czasie walki zginęło dużo więźniów, ale prawie cała obsługa obozu, która wówczas była na miejscu zginęła. Obóz palił się ze wszystkich stron. Widziałem na własne oczy, jak zginął Kittner i SS Suchomil, zastrzelony w oknie baraku. SS-owiec szef SS Strasebahn, którego nazwiska nie pamiętam, zginął z ręki pewnego szofera – więźnia. Jego zabójcę zastrzelił z kolei pewien Ukrainiec. Akcja trwała błyskawicznie. O godz. 16 minut 30 cały obóz z bronią czy bez broni był na wolności i uciekaliśmy do okolicznych lasów. Pościgu za nami nie było. Niestety nie udało nam się włączyć do akcji pociągu z robotnikami, gdyż na odgłos strzałów pociąg zatrzymany został w drodze. Z obozu Treblinka I i II uciekli wszyscy którzy mogli. Inż. Galewski uciekł razem ze mną. Niestety po kilku kilometrach ucieczki zawiodły go nerwy, wyjął jakąś truciznę z kieszeni, połknął ją i skonał w moich oczach natychmiast. Ja w grupie kilku więźniów

Text from page6
wydostałem się w lasy i po dwutygodniowej tułaczce dostałem się do mojej rodziny, gdzie się ukrywałem. Przez cały ten czas przebywałem w Opatowskim i Kieleckim do czasu oswobodzenia tych terenów przez Armię Czerwoną. 21-go stycznia 1945 przybyłem na Pragę, gdzie mieszkam obecnie. Wszystkie te fakty, które opisałem są zgodne z prawdą. Przed podpisaniem przeczytałem.

Warszawa, dnia 9. 3. 1945 roku.

/-/ Leon Perelsztejn

Protokółował Mgr. B. Świderski


  • Updated 4 years ago
After 123 years of foreign rule by the Russian Empire, the Hapsburg Monarchy and Prussia/Germany, Poland was reconstituted as an independent, multi-ethnic republic in November 1918. Helped by the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact of 1939, Nazi Germany invaded Poland on 1 September 1939, and occupied the Western regions of the country. On 17 September, Soviet troops followed suit and marched into the Eastern parts of Poland, which were annexed to the Byelorussian and Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republics. T...

Żydowski Instytut Historyczny im. Emanuela Ringelbluma

  • JHI
  • The Emanuel Ringelblum Jewish Historical Institute
  • Poland
  • ul. Tłomackie 3/5
  • Warszawa
  • Updated 2 years ago

Zbiór relacji Żydów Ocalałych z Zagłady

  • Collection of Holocaust Survivor Testimonies
7196 jednostkowych przeżyć z: - kilkuset gett na obszarze II Rzeczypospolitej oraz z - setek niemieckich obozów pracy, obozów koncentracyjnych i obozów masowej zagłady.