Jiří and Zdeněk Steiner, description of living conditions in so called family camp in Auschwitz-Birkenau and on Nazi medical experiments


Testimony of the brothers Zdeněk and Jiří Steiner, which became a part of the “documentation campaign” in Prague. They were deported from Prague to the Theresienstadt Ghetto in September 1943, from where they were sent to the so-called family camp in Auschwitz-Birkenau. Most of the prisoners who arrived to Auschwitz in this particular transport were murdered half a year later, in March 1944. Jiří and Zdeněk Steiner survived due to the fact that they were twin brothers and therefore became subjects of Nazi medical experiments in the camp.


Document Text

  1. English
  2. Czech
Text from page1


written with Zdeněk and Jiří Steiner, born 20. 5. 1929 in Prague, residents of Prague, former prisoners in the concentration camps of Theresienstadt and Auschwitz, residing in Prague XI., Vratislavova 13, Czech nationality.

We left Prague bound for Theresienstadt on 22. 12. 1942 together with our parents and a great number of relatives. We spent 8½ months Theresienstadt, where things had been so-so for us. We left Theresienstadt on September 6th, 1943, and, after a miserable two-day journey, we finally arrived at the Neu-Berun train station. From there, they took us to the concentration camp in Birkenau. We were told that it was only a quarantine. After the usual procedures, such as a bath and a getting a tattoo (we were given the numbers 147742 and 147743), we were clothed in old rags (children in adult clothing) and housed in camp B II b, where we spent 6 whole months. We experienced so much in this place. Through the efforts of Fredy Hirsch, a children’s home was established. We children were better off than the adults because we didn’t have to work, our food was a little bit better, and, later, our clothes were better as well. Such was our life in the Birkenau children’s camp under extremely harsh conditions. A doctor arrived in December (each camp had a building for the sick and a single German doctor, who generally didn’t know how to do much else besides sending as many people as possible to their graves, served several of these buildings). With a wave of his fingers, Dr. Mengele decided who lived and who died, just like Nero did in ancient times. This renowned doctor was very interested in us twins, which was actually what saved us despite the fact that we came down with so many illnesses. Once, Dr. Mengele took a closer look at us, but then he contracted spotted typhus. In addition to him, we were tortured by the SSman Buntrock, who had a preference for beating children. Another SSman, probably a Russian spy, who helped one of our people escape, was shot by other SS officers after he returned.

In the meantime, the fateful month of March began. This month took away our parents and all of our closest friends — the only thing that we still had in our lives. At the start of the month, it was rumored that the entire transport that had arrived in September 1943 would be taken to the labor camp in Heidebreck. And that’s exactly what happened. On March 5th, postcards on which we were supposed to write to our relatives that we were healthy and doing fine were handed out. These cards were sent dated March 25th-27th. We weren’t allowed to write about our departure. On the morning of March 6th, as usual: Blockälteste antreten — an order for the entire transport to go to the lower section of the camp immediately. From there they took us to camp B II a. There were so many rumors going about, for example that it wasn’t a labor transport, but a chimney. We didn’t believe it because we thought it was impossible. We waited all day, and in the evening we were told that the transport couldn’t depart because 100 persons were to be reclaimed. This news greatly disturbed us. A terrible sleepless night wreaked havoc with our nerves. The people, who were now extremely distraught, didn’t pay attention to anything; everyone just wished for this uncertainty to end. Midday, on March 7th, a call: Ordnung am Block, Raportführer Buntrok geht. And he really came, read the names of several doctors, and then we heard our names. We became very frightened, because father's name wasn’t read, and mother wasn’t present on the block. Buntrok assured father that we would see one another in the evening, and we were taken to the Krankenbau of camp B II b. There, we found out what it was really all about. There were 32 of us in total, twins and doctors combined. Mengele reclaimed us twins because he was interested in us, as we’ve already mentioned. He came to see us the next day. When we told him that our parents had left on the transport, he said: Schade. In the meantime, we found out that the cars had driven off during the night ¨

Text from page2
in the direction of the crematorium. The camp was empty; flames shot up from the crematorium. We will never forget this scene. But we didn’t believe that our parents were dead. However, we soon found out the truth from a doctor who was a member of the Sonderkommando, who was forced to do this work. Mengele arrived the following day, and took us by car to the Roma camp, which was where his station was. There, he precisely measured and weighed us, measured the length and width of our fingers and nails, the length and width of our noses, and anything else that could be measured and weighed. He also took down the color of our hair and skin. He carefully inspected us. He took fingerprints of our hands and feet. He worked alone; he never entrusted anyone else with the tasks he was performing. Then they brought us to the Krankenbau and life went on. We received 2 liters of soup per day, otherwise the food was the same as before. We were also photographed and x-rayed. Jewish doctors, who guaranteed the correctness of the examinations with their lives, had to examine our nerves, eyes, teeth, and ears.

The first labor transport from camp B II b left on 1. 7. In the meantime, another transport from Theresienstadt with 7½ thousand people arrived in May. This brought the number of people in the camp to 12,500, 3,000 of whom left to work. The rest were incinerated within 2 nights. We were taken to B II f. In this new camp, they drew our blood, which made our weakened bodies feel even worse. There is one horrible experience that we will never forget: one of our torturers, the camp doctor Thilo, was making a selection, i.e. choosing the people who would be sent to the crematorium, and he took our names down. What we felt when he did this cannot be described. Fortunately, Mengele heard this and saved us because he still needed us.

The front was approaching and the mood in the camp lifted. During this time, I became a Pipel in the Krankenbau, i.e. a runner, and so I was slightly better off. But then came winter and a new year, which was happier because we could hear the thunder of cannons. A rumor went around that the camp was going to be liquidated, but nothing happened. Finally, on January 16th, they led the first transport on foot out of Birkenau. The following days were extremely vexing, because one transport after another departed. Everyone left voluntarily and we children were the last to leave, partly because we didn’t want to go. People had to walk 60 km in the cold and frost, poorly clothed and hungry. We expected to be told that trains would come pick us up. We finally got what we wanted on January 20th, the day the last SSman left the camp. This was a wonderful time for us. We went wherever we wanted, ate whatever we wanted, did whatever we felt like doing. We roamed around the SS camp. In short, we were having a great time. We went without supervision for 5 days. Then, a group of SDmen arrived. They wanted to do us in, but didn’t get the chance. They, too, fled, and so we stayed until January 27th, when the victorious Red Army took over.

On March 27th, the Czech Svoboda’s Army took charge of us and brought us to Prague. Out of our family of 18, only 3 of us survived.

Statement accepted by: Berta Gerzonová


Jiří Steiner

Zdeněk Steiner

Accepted on behalf of the Documentation campaign by: 4. IX. 1945 Scheck

Accepted on behalf of the archive: Alex. Schmiedt

Text from page1


sepsaný se Zdenkem a Jiřím Steinerovými, nar. 20. 5. 1929 v Praze, příslušnými do Prahy, bývalými věznikoncentračních táborůTerezíně a Osvětině, bytem v Praze XI., Vratislavova 13, národnosti české.

Odjeli jsme z Prahy do Terezína dne 22. 12. 1942 spolu s rodiči a větší částí příbuzenstva. 8 ½ měsíců jsme byli v Terezíně, kde se nám vedlo jakž, takž. Z Terezína jsme odjeli dne 6. září 1943 a po útrapné dvoudenní cestě přistáli jsme konečně na Neu-berunském nádraží. Odtamtud nás odvedli do koncentračního táboraBirkenau. Bylo nám řečeno, že se jedná jen o karanténu. Po obvyklých ceremoniích, jako koupel, tetování (dostali jsme číslo 147742 a 147743), navlečení do starých hader (děti třeba do šatstva dospělých) byli jsme ubytováni v táboře B II b, kde jsme strávili celých 6 měsíců. Tam jsme zažili mnoho. Zásluhou Fredyho Hirsche byl zřízen dětský domov. Nám dětem se vedlo o něco lépe než dospělým, protože jsme nemuseli chodit do práce, strava byla o něco lepší a později i šatstvo. Tak plynul život v birkenauském dětském táboře za hrozně těžkých podmínek. V prosinci došel lékař. (V každém táboře byl barák pro nemocné a nad několika takovými baráky byl vždy jeden německý lékař, který obyčejně mnoho neuměl, jedině, jak přivést co možná nejvíce lidí do hrobu.) Kývnutím prstu rozhodoval Dr. Mengele o životě a smrti, jako ve starověku Nero. Tento pověstný lékař zajímal se velice o nás dvojčata, což bylo vlastně naší záchranou přesto, že jsme strašně mnoho prodělali. Jednou se Dr. Mengele podíval na nás blíže, pak ale onemocněl na skvrnitý tyf. Našimi mučiteli byli mimo něj ještě SSák Buntrock, který nejraději bil děti. Jeden z SSmanů, pravděpodobně nějaký ruský vyzvědač, který dopomohl jednomu z našich lidí k útěku, byl po svém návratu zastřelen jinými SSáky.

Mezitím přišel osudný březen, který nám vzal rodiče a všechny milé, to jediné, co jsme v životě ještě měli. Již začátkem měsíce se proslýchalo, že celý transport, který přijel v září 1943, pojede do pracovního táboraHeidebreck. A skutečně. 5. března byly nám rozdány korespondenční lístky, na kterých jsme svým příbuzným museli napsat, že jsme zdrávi a že se nám vede dobře. Tyto lístky šly s datem 25. – 27. března. O našem odjezdu jsme nesměli vůbec psát. 6. března ráno, po obvyklém : Blockälteste antreten přišel rozkaz, že celý transport musí ihned nastoupit v dolejší části tábora. Odtud nás odvedli do tábora B II a. Proslýchalo se všechno možné, n.př., že se nejedná o pracovní transport, nýbrž o komín, ale nevěřili jsme tomu, protože jsme to považovali za nemožné. Čekali jsme celý den a večer nám bylo řečeno, že transport nemůže odjet, protože má být vyreklamováno 100 osob. Tato zpráva způsobila, že se strašně zhoršila nálada. Hrozná noc beze spánku otřásla strašně našima nervama. Lidé, nejvyšší mírou rozrušeni, nevěnovali se teď už ničemu, každý si přál jen ukončení té nejistoty, 7. března v poledne volání: Ordnung am Block, Raportführer Buntrock geht. A skutečně vstoupil, četl jména několika lékařů, a pak jsme slyšeli svá jména. Strašně jsme se lekli, protože otcovo jméno nebylo čteno a matka nebyla na bloku. Buntrock ujistil otce, že se do večera shledáme, a byli jsme odvedeni do Krankenbau tábora B II b. Tam teprve jsme se dověděli, oč se jedná. Bylo nás dvojčat a lékařů dohromady 32 osob. Nás dvojčata vyreklamoval Mengele, protože měl o nás zájem, jak již bylo řečeno. Příštího dne se přišel na nás podívat. Když jsme mu sdělili, že naši rodiče odjeli transportem, řekl: Schade. Mezitím jsme ale zjistili, že v noci odjela auta

Text from page2
směrem ke krematoriu. Tábor byl prázdný a jen z komína krematoria šlehaly plameny. Na tento obraz nikdy nezapomeneme. Přesto jsme nevěřili, že naši rodiče již nežijí. Časem ale jsme se přece dověděli pravdu od jednoho lékaře, člena Sonderkommanda, který k této práci byl přinucen. Den na to přijel Mengele a převezl nás autem do cikánského tábora, kde měl svou stanici. Tam nás přesně změřil, zvážil, změřil délku a šířku prstů a nehtů, délku a šířku nosu a vůbec všeho, co se změřit a zvážit dalo. Zapsal si taky odstín barvy vlasů a pleti, důkladně nás prohlédl, vzal nám otisky prstů na rukou i nohou. Tuto práci konal sám, nikomu ji nesvěřil. Pak nás dali do Krankenbau a život plynul dále. Dostali jsme 2 litry polévky denně, jinak byla strava jako před tím. Byli jsme taky fotografováni a roentgenováni. Nervy, oči, zuby a uši nám museli prohlédnout naši, židovští lékaři, kteří za správnost prohlídky ručili životem.

1. 7. šel první pracovní transporttábora B II b. Mezitím přijel v květnu ještě jeden transportTerezína, 7 ½ tisíc lidí. V táboře bylo tehdy 12.500 osob a z toho jelo na práci 3.000. Všichni ostatní byli spálení ve 2 nocech. My jsme byli převezení do B II f. V novém táboře nám brali krev, což našim zesláblým tělům nedělalo vůbec dobře. Jeden strašný zážitek nám utkvěl v paměti: Jeden z našich mučitelů, táborový lékař Thilo dělal selekci, tj. výběr lidí pro krematorium a napsal nás taky. Pocit, který jsme při tom měli, se nedá vůbec popsat. Na štěstí se o tom dověděl Mengele a zachránil nás, protože nás ještě potřeboval.

Blížila se fronta a v táboře zavládla lepší nálada. V té době jsem se stal Piplem v Krankenbau, tj. běžcem, takže se mi materiálně vedlo o něco lépe. Pak přišla zima a nový rok, který byl už o něco radostnější, jelikož někdy bylo slyšet už dunění děl. Proslýchalo se o likvidaci tábora, ale stále k tomu nedocházelo. Konečně 16. ledna odvedli první transport pěškyBirkenau. Na to několik rozčilujících dnů, jelikož šel transport za transportem. Šlo se dobrovolně a nás děti nechali nakonec, taky proto, že jsme jít nechtěly. 60 km se šlo pěšky za zimy a mrazu, špatně oblečeni a za hladu. Čekali jsme, jelikož nám bylo řečeno, že pro nás přijedou vlaky. A tak jsme se dočkali 20. ledna, ve který den poslední SSman opustil tábor. Teď začla pro nás krásná doba. Šli jsme, kam jsme chtěli, jedli jsme, co jsme chtěli, a dělali taky, co nám napadlo. Prohlédli jsme si tábor SSáků, zkrátka, měli jsme se dobře. 5 dní jsme byli bez dozoru. Poté se objevila skupina SD – manů, kteří nás ještě chtěli odpravit, ale nedostali se již k tomu. I oni prchli, a tak jsme tam zůstali do 27. ledna, kdy nás zabrala vítězná Rudá armáda.

27. března nás převzala česká Svobodova armáda, s kterou jsme přijeli taky do Prahy. Z celé rodiny 18ti osob nás zůstalo na živu 3.

Protokol přijal: Berta Gerzonová Podpis :

Jiří Steiner

Zdeněk Steiner

Za dokumentační akci přijal: 4. IX. 1945 Scheck

Za archiv přijal : Alex. Schmiedt


  • Updated 10 months ago
The Czech lands (Bohemia, Moravia and Czech Silesia) were part of the Habsburg monarchy until the First World War, and of the Czechoslovak Republic between 1918 and 1938. Following the Munich Agreement in September 1938, the territories along the German and Austrian frontier were annexed by Germany (and a small part of Silesia by Poland). Most of these areas were reorganized as the Reichsgau Sudetenland, while areas in the West and South were attached to neighboring German Gaue. After these terr...
This collection originated as a documentation of the persecution and genocide of Jews in the Czech lands excluding the archival materials relating to the history of the Terezín ghetto, which forms a separate collection. The content of the collection comprises originals, copies and transcripts of official documents and personal estates, as well as prints, newspaper clippings, maps, memoirs and a small amount of non-written material. The Documents of Persecution collection is a source of informati...