Isaak Berner, the persecution of Jews in the Riga ghetto


Testimony of Isaak Berner, which became a part of the “documentation campaign” in Prague. Berner describes the beginning of the Nazi occupation in Riga and the persecution of Jews that followed. In October 1941, Jews from Riga were forced to moved out to the newly established ghetto in the suburbs, of which Berner describes the living conditions. Most of the ghetto inmates were murdered during a massacre in the winter of 1941.


Document Text

  1. English
  2. German
Text from page1


Recorded with: Berner Isaak, born: 18.6.1909 in Riga

On July 1st, 1941, the Germans came to Riga. On July 2nd, an auxiliary Latvian SS troop was formed. They wore green armbands on their sleeves with a skull on. The first thing this auxiliary troop did was to stop Jews in the street, to humiliate them, to throw Jewish women and children out of their apartments and to force them to work. Work was done clearing up, where the aim was not so much that work was done, but much more to tyrannise the Jews. Beards were pulled out, the women had their hair cut off, beaten and kicked, the people stayed lying on the floor. On July 3rd, the apartments of the Jews began to be ransacked. On July 6th, all the synagogues in Riga were set on fire. I can testify under oath that many rabbis, cantors, temple assistants and families that lived in the neighbourhood of the synagogues were forced into the burning synagogues and suffocated and burnt alive. Shortly afterwards, the mass arrests began amongst the Jewish population. Over a short period, 3000-4000 Jews disappeared, I don’t know what happened to these people. All of the Jews that were still free had to register daily at the prefecture and were sent to work, where they were – of course – tormented in the worst ways possible. At the beginning of September, Prefect Stieglitz – a repatriated German who had come back to Latvia – gathered all the leading Jewish men and told them to form a Jewish committee. The members were the lawyer Dr. Eljachow, Dr. Minz 1Note 1 : Uncertain, whether Vladimir Mincs is meant., Kaugert, Winzker, Dr. Blumfeld. Their task was: arranging for the relocation of the Jews in Riga to the working-class suburb of Letgaler, an area where originally 3000-4000 had lived. In this cramped area, in the small, low rooms, 30-40,000 people had to find accommodation. We had to give our apartments to the people moving out of the working-class area without any compensation, and were only allowed to take essentials with us that we could carry; special permission was needed if you wanted to take, for example, a cupboard with you. If it was a good piece of furniture, then the permission wasn’t granted. The relocation had to be carried out by October 15th, the ghetto was then fenced in, surrounded by Latvian SS, the Jews were segregated and the tragedy of the ghetto began.

Already in the first days, many Jews who only got too close to the fence were shot attempting to escape. Shots were fired into windows that were supposedly the black-out was not good enough, many people died as a result. Work commandos left daily. Anyone who was halfway able to tried to avoid it, as returning to the ghetto could be deadly. You were checked at the gate, searches were undertaken and most were beaten; women and children were not spared. Groceries and essentials were supplied by 14 shops, but the allocation got less and less every week. Security was provided by the Jewish Police. On November 18th, it was arranged that the ghetto would be evacuated and everyone would be transferred to a work camp. When Dr Eljachow asked what would happen to the old and the sick, an SA man named Schulze answered bluntly that anyone who was unable to march would be shot. We were allowed to take 20 kg of luggage with us. We believed that were really going to be taken to a work camp.

On November 20th, Latvian workers came and isolated a small section of the ghetto.

Text from page2
We didn’t know why they had done it, but on November 23rd, all of the strong men were forced into this isolated section. On November 30th, the grosse Aktion2Note 2 : big action began. At 6pm, children, women and old people – with or without luggage – were driven out of their apartments. Blows, kicks, shooting, murder were the tactics used to prompt the terrified people. People stayed on the streets for the whole night, until 6am, in the frost, hungry and many poorly dressed. A group of 1000 people were marched on foot along the Moskauer Strasse3Note 3 : Moscow Street under the strict supervision of the SS.

Nobody was allowed to watch, even Aryans weren’t allowed to look out of the window as shots were immediately fired. This evacuation lasted until December 9th, 1941. During this time, those of us in the isolated part of the ghetto heard that Russian prisoners of war were digging pits outside of town by Quadrat in Salasplis and in the Bickernjaken woods. We couldn’t find out initially what they were for. We found out from farmers that lived nearby and from the statements of those who had been able to escape: The transports with the women and children (and also several men too) were forced to the pits and mown down with machine guns. The screaming and wailing of the poor victims was so harrowing, that many farmers on the immediate area couldn’t sleep for days. In this action, around 27,000 women, around 3000 children between 1 and 13 years as well as 4000-5000 men who were less able to work were murdered. The whole Aktion was led by General Jeckeln, who was based in the Knight’s Hall in Riga with his accomplices, Dr Lange and the SA man Schulze. To the character of General Jeckeln I want to add: when several Jews were sent to his house to work for him, he didn’t like two of them. Out of nowhere he shot them. After the end of the Aktion, nearly 5000 men and around 270 women and children who had been able to hide during the evacuation remained in the small isolated section of the ghetto. I was the camp elder at the time and got permission from the commandants to bring the women and children into a special block, and later other women from Latvia came as well. There was a total of 500-600 women in the women’s block. The new commandant was called Obersturmführer Krauss, his assistant was SS Scharführer Roschmann. The camp was designated a barrack/work camp and all the inmates had to work without rest. Three shops were set up and we received food rationing cards, concerning goods, there was only that which was left over from the shops in the large ghetto. Almost everyone went to work every day. The large ghetto was taken over by a trust, and the property found there was sold in packages for 15 marks to the local population, whole wagons full of clothes were sent to Germany as winter assistance from the Latvian people. The SS men kept the best things for themselves. Three days after the annihilation action, 13-14,000 Jews from Germany (men, women, children) were brought to the ghetto that we had cleared out. They were brought from Germany to Szirotowa in first and second-class carriages and given coffee there by nurses from the Red Cross. They had been given permission to bring luggage with them from Germany and so arrived quite well-equipped. In Szirotowa they were sorted with blows and beatings. The men were mostly sent to Salaspils to the work/annihilation camp, some of the old people were shot in Szirotowa, the rest were brought as mentioned into the ghetto. All of their luggage was stolen and they lived from what they got from us. It was strictly forbidden, that we left the work camp and went into the ghetto, and the inhabitants of the ghetto were also not allowed to come into contact with us. We went to work every day. Every Jew in the barrack camp had to deliver money, valuables, stocks and gold. We surrendered 115,000 marks and a fortune in gold, jewellery and diamonds. The

Text from page3
worth is difficult to estimate, but it was a fortune. Eight days later, the first two Jews were publically hanged in the barrack camp. One was found to have 60 pfennigs and the other 1 mark. After the execution was carried out, the Jews were ordered to carry out another collection of money, golds and valuables, as it was clear that not everything had been handed over. We immediately carried out another collection and raised 80,000 marks. As a personal gift for the Commandant Krause, we kept some diamonds, a gold clock and cigarette case to one side for him. It was said, that he refused the gift and threw it into the basket with all the other things. A constable said later, that Krause took enough things that he could live from them for 100 years.

The hangings and shootings in the camp hadn’t stopped; for every small infraction, someone had to pay with their life. The executions by hanging had to be carried out by the Jewish Police who were left in the barrack camp. The Gestapo in Riga carried out many arrests amongst us, especially from important businessmen or industrial people. These people disappeared and never came back. Within a year, 1000 Jews had been killed. The camp existed until 1943-06. Thereafter, it was disbanded and we were housed in groups at the companies that we were working for, in barracks and under stricter guard.

Some of the people were taken to the newly founded Kaiserwalde concentration camp near Riga. Food was quite scarce in the factory camp, but there was enough to keep you alive and not have to starve. As the Russians approached, we were taken to Germany and housed in a concentration camp.

Statement copied from the original.

Protocol copied by: Marta Fischerová


Signatures of witnesses:

On behalf of the documentation campaign: Weinberger

On behalf of the archive: Tressler

Provided to the documentation campaign by Mr. Max Munk, Uherské Hradiště

Text from page1


Aufgenommen mit: Berner Isaak, geb.: 18.6.1909 in Riga

Am 1.VII.1941 kamen die Deutschen nach Riga. Am 2. VII. wurde eine lettische SS Hilfstruppe gebildet. Auf den Aermeln trugen sie grüne Binden mit dem Totenkopf. Die erste Leistung dieser Hilfstruppe bestand darin, Juden auf der Strasse abzufangen, zu peinigen, jüdische Frauen und Kinder aus den Wohnungen zu treiben, und zur Arbeit zu zwingen. Es wurden Aufräumungsarbeiten durchgeführt, wobei es nicht so sehr darauf ankam, dass eine Arbeit geleistet wird, als vielmehr darauf, die Juden zu tyrannisieren. Bärte wurden ihnen ausgerissen, den Frauen die Kopfhaare abgeschnitten, unter Schlägen und Fusstritten blieben die Menschen am Boden liegen. Am 3. Juli wurde damit begonnen, die Wohnungen der Juden zu plündern. Am 6. Juli wurden alle Synagogen in Riga in Brandt gesetzt. Ich kann unter Eid aussagen, dass viele Rabbiner, Kantore, Tempeldiener und in der Nachbarschaft der Synagogen lebende jüdische Familien in die brennenden Synagogen getrieben wurden, dort erstickten und bei lebendigem Leibe verbrannten. Kurz darnach begannen Massenverhaftungen unter jüdischer Bevölkerung. 3000-4000 Juden sind innerhalb kurzer Zeit verschwunden, es ist mir nicht bekannt was mit diesen Menschen geschah. Alle in Freiheit gebliebenen Juden mussten sich täglich auf der Praefektur melden und wurden zur Arbeit geschickt, bei der sie natürlich aufs ärgste gepeinigt wurden. Anfang September liess der Praefekt Stieglitz ein repatriierter Deutscher der nach Lettland zurückkahm alle jüdischen führenden Männer zu sich zu holen und forderte sie auf ein jüdisches Komitee zu bilden. Mitglieder wurden Rechtsanwalt Dr. Eljachow, Dr. Minz 1Note 1 : Uncertain, whether he means Vladimir Mincs., Kaugert, Winzker, Dr. Blumfeld. Deren Aufgabe war: für die Umsiedlung der Juden Rigas in das Arbeiterviertel Letgaler Vorstadt zu sorgen, einem Viertel in dem ursprünglich 3000-4000 Arbeiter gesiedelt hatten. Auf dieser engen Fläche, in den kleinen niedrigen Räumen mussten 30.000-40.000 Menschen Unterkunft finden. Unsere Wohnungen mussten wird den Arbeitervierteln ausgesiedelten unentgeltlich übergeben, durften nur das notdürftigste an Handgepäck mitnehmen; eine besondere Bewilligung war schon notwendig, wenn man z.B. einen Schrank mitnehmen wollte. War es ein besseres Möbelstück, wo wurde die Erlaubnis nicht erteilt. Die Umsiedlung musste bis zum 15.X. durchgeführt werden, das Ghetto wurde umzaunt, von lettischer SS umstellt, die Juden waren abgesondert und es beginnt die Tragödie des Ghettos.

Schon in den ersten Tagen wurden viele Juden, die sich dem Zaune nur näherten auf der Flucht erschossen In angeblich schlecht verdunkelte Fenster wurde gefeuert, viele Menschen sind so ums Leben gebracht worden. Arbeitskommandos gingen täglich hinaus. Wer es nur halbwegs konnte, der versuchte sich zu drücken, weil die Heimkehr ins Ghetto lebensgefährlich war. Am Tore wurde man kontrolliert, Durchsuchungen wurden vorgenommen, und meistfurchtbar verprügelt, wobei Kinder und Frauen nicht geschont wurden. Die Versorgung von Lebensmitteln und Gebrauchsgegenständen wurde durch 14 Geschäfte vorgenommen, wobei aber die Zuteilung von Woche zu Woche knapper wurde. Den Sicherheitsdienst besorgte jüdische Polizei. Am 18. November wurde verlautbart, dass am 20. November das Ghetto evakuiert werde, alle würden in Arbeitslager überführt. Auf die Frage Dr. Eljachows, was mit Alten und Kranken geschehen werde, antwortete der S.A. Mann Schulze aufrichtig, wer nicht marschieren könne, der werde erschossen. Es war erlaubt bis zu 20 kg Gepäck mitzunehmen. Wir glaubten daran, dass wir tatsächlich in Arbeitslager gebracht werden. Am 20. November kamen lettische Arbeiter und sonderten innerhalb des Ghettos ein kleines Viertel ab. Zunächst

Text from page2
war uns nicht klar, warum das geschieht, sodann wurden aber am 23. November alle kräftigen Männer in das abgesonderte Viertel hineingetrieben. Am 30. November begann die grosse Aktion. Um 6 h Abend wurden Kinder, Frauen, Greise mit oder ohne Gepäck aus den Wohnungen hinausgejagt. Schläge, Tritte, Erschiessungen, Morde waren die Mittel, mit denen die verängstigten Menschen angetrieben wurden. Die ganze Nacht hindurch, bis 6 h früh blieben die Leute auf der Strasse, bei Frost, hungrig und vielfach schlecht und nur notdürftig bekleidet. Zu Fuss, unter strengster Bewachung der SS in Gruppen von je 1000 Menschen wurden die auf die Moskauer Strasse getrieben. Niemand durfte zusehen, selbst Arier durften nicht ans Fenster, es wurde sogleich geschossen. Diese Aussiedlung dauerte bis zum 9. Dezember 1941. Während dieser Zeit hörten wir im abgesonderten Ghetto, dass russische Kriegsgefangene ausserhalb der Stadt, bei Quadrat in Salaspils und im Bickernjakenwald grosse Gruben graben, wofür, konnten wir zunächst nicht erfahren. Von Bauern, die in der Nähe lebten und aus Aussagen einiger, denen es gelungen war zu fliehen, erfuhren wir: Die Transporte der Frauen und Kinder (auch einige Männer waren unter ihnen) wurden an die Grube herangejagt und mit Maschinengewehren niedergemäht. Das Schreien und Wehklagen der armen Ofer war so erschütternd, dass viele Bauern der nahen Umgebung Nächte hindurch nicht Schlaf finden konnten. In dieser Aktion wurden annährend 27.000 Frauen, etwa 3000 Kinder im Alter von 1 bis 13 Jahren und beiläufig 4000 bis 5000 meist minder arbeitsfähige Männer ermordet. Geleitet wurde die ganze Aktion durch General Jeckeln, mit Sitz in Riga im Ritterhaus, sein Gehilfe war Dr. Lange, als dritter der S.A. Mann Schulze. Zur Charakteristik des General Jeckeln führe ich an: Als einige Juden zu ihm ins Haus geschickt wurden, um bei ihm zu arbeiten, gefielen ihm zwei nicht. Kurzer Hand schoss er sie nieder. Nach Beendigung der Aktion blieben im kleinen abgesonderten Ghetto annähernd 5000 Mann und etwa 270 Frauen und Kinder zurück, denen es gelungen war, sich bei der Aussiedlung zu verbergen. Ich war damals Lagerältester und erhielt vom neuen Kommandanten die Erlaubnis, die Frauen und Kinder in einem gesonderten Block unterzubringen, es kamen noch später Frauen aus Litauen hinzu. Insgesamt waren später 500-600 Frauen im Frauenblock. Der neue Kommandant hiess Obersturmführer Krauss, sein Gehilfe was der SS Scharführer Roschmann. Das Lager wurde ans Kasernierungs- resp. Arbeitslager bezeichnet, alle Insassen mussten restlos arbeiten. Es wurden drei Geschäfte errichtet, wir erhielten Lebensmittelkarten, an Waren war zunächst das, was in den Geschäften des grossen Ghetto zurückgeblieben war. Fast alle gingen täglich auf Arbeit. Das grosse Ghetto wurde von einer Treuhandgesellschaft übernommen, die dort gefundenen Gegenstände in Paketen zu 15 Mk an die Bevölkerung abgegeben, ganze Waggonladungen von Kleidern wurde als Winterhilfe der lettischen Bevölkerung nach Deutschland transportiert. Die besten Sachen haben die Herren der SS für sich behalten. Drei Tage nach der Vernichtungsaktion wurden in das leer stehende von uns geräumte grosse Ghetto 13-14 Tausend Juden aus Deutschland (Frauen, Männer,Kinder gebracht. In Waggons I und II Klasse wurden sie aus Deutschland bis Szirotowa gebracht, dort noch durch Schwestern des Roten Kreuzes mit Kaffee bewirtet. Sie hatten die Bewilligung erhalten, aus Deutschland Gepäck mitzunehmen, kamen somit sehr gut ausgestattet an. In Szirotowa wurden sie schon mit Hieben und Schlägen sortiert. Die Männer kamen zum grossen Teil nach Salaspils ins Arbeits/Vernichtungs/lager, alte Leute wurden zum Teil in Szirotowa erschossen, der Rest kam wie eben angeführt ins Ghetto. Ihres Gepäckes wurden sie zur Gänze beraubt und lebnächst [sic!] davon, was sie von uns bekamen. Es war strengstens verboten, dass wir aus dem Arbeitslager ins Ghetto kamen, und die Bewohner des Ghettos durften gleichfalls mit uns nicht in Berührung kommen. Wir gingen täglich zur Arbeit. Sämtliche Juden des Kasernierungslager mussten Geld, Wertsachen, Wertpapiere, Gold abliefern. Wir haben 115.000 Mk und ein Riesenvermögen an Gold, Schmuck und Brillianten abgegeben. Der
Text from page3
Wert lässt sich schwer abschätzen, es waren ganz enorme Werte. Acht Tage später wurden die ersten zwei Juden des Kasernierungslagers öffentlich im Lager erhängt. Beschuldigt wurden sie dessen, dass bei einem von ihnen 60 Pfennig, bei einem anderen 1 Mark vorgefunden wurde. Nach Vollzug der Exekution wurde den Juden angeordnet, eine neue Sammlung des Geldes, Goldes und Wertsachen durchzuführen, weil wie es hiess nicht alles abgeliefert worden war. Wir haben sofort nochmals gesammelt und haben 80.000 Mk aufgebracht. Als persönliches Geschenk für den Kmdt. Krause haben wir einige Brillanten, eine goldene Uhr und Zigarettenetui abgeführt. Es hiess, dass er das Geschenk zurückwies und alles zu den übrigen Sachen in den Korb werfen liess. Ein Schutzmann äusserte sich später, Krause hätte für sich so viel mitgenommen, dass er 100 Jahre davon leben könne. Das Hängen und Erschiessen im Lager hat nicht aufgehört, für jede Kleinigkeit musste man mit dem Verlust des Lebens büssen. Die Exekutionen des Hängens musste die jüdische Polizei durchführen, die im Kasernierungslager geblieben war. Die Gestapo in Riga führte in unseren Reigen vielfach Verhaftungen durch, besonders von Industriellen, grösseren Kaufleuten. Diese Leute verschwanden und kamen nie mehr wieder. Innerhalb eines Jahres waren etwa 1000 Juden ums Leben gebracht worden. Das Lager bestand bis Juni 1943. Sodann wurde es aufgelöst und wir wurden in Gruppen bei den Firmen, in deren Firmen wir arbeiteten, untergebracht, in Baracken unter strenger Bewachung. Ein Teil der Leute kam in das neu gegründete K.L. bei Riga Kaiserwalde. Die Verpflegung in den Fabrikslagern war zwar knapp, aber man konnte sich dabei am Leben erhalten und musste nicht verhungern. Beim Heranrücken der Russen wurden wir nach Deutschland verschleppt und in K.L. untergebracht.

Protokoll lau Original abgeschrieben.

Protokol opsala: Marta Fischerová


Podpis svědků:

Za dokumentační akci přijal: Weinberger

Za archiv přijal: Tressler

Dokumentační akci dáno k dispozici panem Maxem Munkem, Uherské Hradiště


  • Updated 7 months ago
The Czech lands (Bohemia, Moravia and Czech Silesia) were part of the Habsburg monarchy until the First World War, and of the Czechoslovak Republic between 1918 and 1938. Following the Munich Agreement in September 1938, the territories along the German and Austrian frontier were annexed by Germany (and a small part of Silesia by Poland). Most of these areas were reorganized as the Reichsgau Sudetenland, while areas in the West and South were attached to neighboring German Gaue. After these terr...
This collection originated as a documentation of the persecution and genocide of Jews in the Czech lands excluding the archival materials relating to the history of the Terezín ghetto, which forms a separate collection. The content of the collection comprises originals, copies and transcripts of official documents and personal estates, as well as prints, newspaper clippings, maps, memoirs and a small amount of non-written material. The Documents of Persecution collection is a source of informati...