Yitskhok R., on the bombardments of Warsaw, the situation in surrounding shtetls, and the ghettoization in Puławy


Testimony of 26-year-old Yitskhok R., the head of a tannery in Warsaw, on the German bombardments and attacks on Warsaw and the situation of Jews there. On the day of the German invasion, he left for his hometown Puławy, passing through other shtetlekh like Garwolin and Ryki. He reports on the local situation after heavy bombardments and under German occupation and on Polish-Jewish relations under these conditions. Information about the ghettoization of Puławy is included as well.


Document Text

  1. English
  2. Yiddish

Protocol Number 220


Yitskhok R., 26 years old

Head of a tannery


Now: X

I was in Warsaw from the outbreak of the war until the Germans entered the city. On the morning of the German invasion, I left on foot to Pulav (Puławy) in order to see how my mother is doing.

I went to Pulav passing through the shtetlekh Garwolin and Ryki.

In Pulav, I stayed for 3 days, and there, seeing that the Germans were catching Jews for work, I ran to Kuzmir (Kazimierz [Dolny] at the Vistula).

In Kuzmir, I stayed for 8 days.

From Kuzmir, I drove back to Warsaw and, staying there until mid-November, I left for the Russian side.

Soon after the outbreak of the war, Warsaw was overcrowded with refugees who poured in from all surrounding cities, from nearby and faraway. Since everywhere it was overcrowded, they were crammed into the places of their acquaintances laying in the courtyards and flights of stairs.

The city was continuously bombarded from the Germans, every day a new quarter. Every time news arrived about destroyed buildings and streets.

I was a O.P.L 1Note 1 : Uncertain..-Commander of my block, and it amounted to a lot of work, both to protect the house from fires and from looting and robberies. I also had to care for keeping the emotional equilibrium of the residents who were very nervous, upset. And I had to prevent any outbreak of panic and distress.

Text from page2
At first, in the days from September 6 to 7, I had in mind to follow the great mass of the Jewish youth: to leave Warsaw. But when I came to my boss in order to say goodbye, he started to beg me not to leave and I decided to stay.

Until Rosh Hashanah, as mentioned before, Warsaw was bombarded day in, day out. But we had not endured a hell-like day before like the eve of Rosh Hashanah.

In the morning, it was relatively calm. I left with a wagon for Grochów to the tannery and from there, I brought a wagon with leather (I had a special permit from the city headquarters to drive it). When I came to Muranow Square, I was already trapped in the bombardment. Houses started to catch fire, flames flashed over from neighboring buildings where I lived and where I worked as a O.P.L.-commander (Nalewki No. 40).

The women and children were in the basements of the house and we kept watch standing in the gate. At 5pm, we noticed how the fire from the German incendiary bombs flashed over to Nalewki 38. The O.P.L.-headquarter decided that we had to prepare the crowd for a potential evacuation of the women and children from the yard. We entered the basements and said: the situation is very serious. We have to hang on, however. It is possible that we have to leave the yard. But everyone should be careful and calm.

In the basement, we, the O.P.L. activists (just like others), had prepared hand luggage with the most necessary things in order to take it if need be. We took the suitcases and exited. The crowd, noticing that we took the suitcases, understood that the situation is serious and all at once everyone ran out of the basement.

Everyone chaotically ran into the streets. People came running from everywhere and erratically, without a direction. I left for Shvyentayerske Street. I went there because my boss lives there and this corner was not touched by the bombardments and fires yet.

Text from page3
At my boss’s house, I lived for 3 days. His family came running to him, however. 7 individuals from Ayzn Street 89 (Yakubovitsh). Their house was hit by a bomb and destroyed their apartment. So they came to Shvyentayerske Street and I consequently had to move on. I left for Hazshe treet 54.

During the whole bombardment until the Germans invaded, there were uncountable numbers of victims, both those struck by shrapnels and those buried alive and heavily injured from bombs or burnt houses.

On the first day of Rosh Hashanah, it was calm. So I went out to have a look at the destruction of last night’s fire. The streets were full with corpses. Freight wagons were driving across the streets and the victims were placed on top on them.

At the passageway Valove Street 8Frantshishker Street 29, I saw a great number of burnt people. On the streets Stawki and Niska freight cars with corpses were standing.

On Frantshishker Street 29, the number of corpses was estimated in the hundreds.

On Gensha Street 25, 35 men were buried in the basements – among them my friend Reyman, a house painter who lived on Muranowski Street 40, he was 26 years of age. It was the first year after the wedding, he was alone from Chełm. For three weeks, he was laying under the debris.

The following happened to me: on a certain day, a certain acquainted girl came to me from Grochów. On the same day, we learned that Grochów had been bombarded heavily. The girl went to great length to get home. I accompanied her to the Kerbedzsh bridge but in that same moment German airplanes approached and started to heavily bombard the bridge and the royal palace. It was at the moment when my acquaintance was on the bridge. In shock, I let the bombardment pass and only afterwards I went looking for her. The bridge was perforated. I needed to jump from one plank to the next. On the other side, the dom żołmierza (soldiers’ home) was destroyed where one goes to the zoological garden. Under the debris, masses of corpses were laying. I did not find my acquaintance. Only later,

Text from page4
I got through to Grochów by phone and learned that she is alive.

Immediately when the Germans invaded Warsaw, it become possible to exit the city the next day. I left for Pulav to see how my mother is doing.

I went by foot. The 140 kilometres took us 3 days. One could only go until nightfall. We went in groups of two – me and another one, someone from Pulav.

On the way, we spent the first night in a village near Otwock at a peasant’s house, and the second night in Ryki.

We passed through Garwolin. The entire city was burnt to the ground. Maybe a dozen houses remained intact. The Jewish population was not in the city. We met 2 Jews who searched and rummaged in the rubble of their houses.

In Ryki, we spent the night at the house of the Pulavrabbi’sson (it was the second day of Sukkot). More than 60 percent of the city was burnt to the ground. The son of the Pulav rabbi told us that masses of Jews from Dęblin arrived in Ryki in the first week of the war. They came to Ryki because in Dęblin there are great fortresses and airports. So Ryki’s population expected air strikes from the Germans and ran away. Then the German planes supposedly saw a big mob so they bombarded Ryki and that time 400 residents of Dęblin and Ryki were killed.

In Pulav, more than half of the city was burnt to the ground as a result of German incendiary bombs. The following were burnt down: the Pyaskove Street (where the butcher shops are), the entire street was destroyed; the Rabbi’s street (partly destroyed); Lubliner Street (partly destroyed); Piłsudsky Street (partly destroyed).

Both bote-midroshim and the old synagogue were burnt to the ground. In the old synagogue, a granate came in and did not explode so the Germans later blew up the granate and the synagogue crumbled.

Beside the hotel Bristol (Piłsudsky Street) a bomb dropped and 40 men from Pulav, primarily Jews, were killed. Among the victims were:

Text from page5
1) Gevirtsman, a typesetter, he left behind a wife with a child;

2) Dorfman, a student in the Polish secondary school, he lived on the Krantsover Street (his father owns a grocery store).

I stayed in Pulav for 3 days and when the Germans started to catch Jews for work, I left for Kuzmir.

Kuzmir did not suffer from bombardments. The city as a whole stayed intact.

When I was in Kuzmir, a rumor circulated that in the coming night the Germans will set fire to the city. 2 peasants from Opole[Lubelskie] told this story. The Jews came out of the houses and they were laying in the yards for the whole night. It ended in a shock since very likely the Christians themselves circulated the rumor in order to loot the city.

In Kuzmir, I was for a week and after that I drove to Warsaw. I transported merchandise back and forth. Jews were not allowed to take the train. But we put on matsheyuvkes 2Note 2 : caps with a visor (a kind of Polish hat), and the Germans took us for Christians.

This way, we drove back and forth for 3 weeks.

In Pulav, the Germans in the course of this time completely robbed and ruined the Jews. At first, they took all Jewish stores and gave them to Poles. After that, they drove out the Jews from all streets and permitted them to only live on Gdańsker Street, outside the city. Before the war, Christians were primarily living there. On houses, in which Jews were allowed to move in, they drew a Magen David through a stencil with red paint.

Jews were allowed to appear on the other streets from 10am to 12 at noon. In the ghetto, namely on Gdańsker Street, the Jews were allowed to walk around the whole day.

In a basement of Honigsfeld’s house (the Jewish bank was there), the Jews hid their belongings. The basement was fire-proved. The house even burnt down and the basement stayed intact. Then the Germans found out [about the belongings] and took out everything from the basement.

Text from page6
They admittedly gave notice to come to the city hall in order to identify and reclaim the things, but when the Jews came in city hall, they did not find anything anymore: the Germans had already taken everything for themselves or distributed it amongst the Christians.

I was in Pulav in the context of my business when the Jews were chased out of their homes. So I took my mother and moved her to Nałęczów where an older sister of mine is living.

Nałęczów in general did not suffer from the war. Once the German airplanes threw bombs which, however, did not hit the shtetl.

In Nałęczów, a German general staff was established. On a certain day, the Germans went from house to house and dragged out the Jews. They gathered around 30 Jews (there were not more than 30 Jewish families in Nałęczów). They ordered them to lay down in the middle of the street in a puddle and swim. At the same time, the Jews were beaten mercilessly. Also my brother-in-law and a son of his were among the swimmer. From the beating, they got ill and laid down in bed. I was in the shtetl and hid. At that moment, I decided to leave the German-occupied territory.

Signed: Yitskhok R.

Text from page1

פּראָטאָקאָל נומער 220


יצחק ר. 26 יאָר אַלט

לײַטער פֿון אַ גאַרבערײַ


איצט: איקס

איך בין געװען אין װאַרשע פֿון מלחמה־אויסבראָך, ביז די דײַטשן זענען אַרײַן אין שטאָט. אויף צומאָרגנס נאָכן אַרײַנמאַרש פֿון די דײַטשן בין איך אַװעק צו פֿוס קײן פּולאַװ (פּולאַװי), כּדי צו זען װאָס מײַן מוטער מאַכט.

קײן פּולאַװ בין איך געגאַנגען דורך די שטעטלעך גאַרװאָלין און ריקי.

אין פּולאַװ בין איך געװען 3 טעג, און היות דאָרט האָבן די דײַטשן געכאַפּט ייִדן אויף אַרבעט, בין איך געלאָפֿן קײן קוזמיר (קאַזשימיעזש בײַ דער װײַסל).

אין קוזמיר בין איך געװען 8 טעג.

פֿון קוזמיר בין איך געפֿאָרן צוריק קײן װאַרשע און, אָפּזײַענדיק דאָרט ביז מיטן נאָװעמבער, אַװעק צו דער רוסישער זײַט.

װאַרשע איז שוין באַלד נאָכן מלחמה־אויסבראָך געװען פֿול מיט פּליטים אָנגעלאָפֿענע פֿון אַלע אַרומיקע, נאָענטע און װײַטע שטעט. זײ זענען, געװען אומעטום פֿול, אָנגעפּאַקט בײַ זײערע באַקאַנטע, געלעגן אויף די הײף און שטיגן.

די שטאָט איז כּסדר באָמבאַרדירט געװאָרן פֿון די דײַטשן, יעדן טאָג אַ נײַער קװאַרטאַל, יעדעס מאָל פֿלעגט אָנקומען ידיעות װעגן נײַע חרובֿע בנינים און גאַסן.

איך בין געװען אָ.פּ.ל.–קאָמענדאַנט פֿון מײַן בלאָק, און ס'איז אויסגעקומען זײער פֿיל צו אַרבעטן, הן פֿאַרהיטן דאָס הויז פֿון שׂרפֿות, הן פֿון גנבֿות און רויבערײַען. מ'האָט אויך געמוזט זאָרגן אײַנצוהאַלטן דאָס געמיט־גלײַכגעװיכט פֿון די אײַנװוינער, װעלכע זענען געװען זײער נערװעז, אויפֿגערעגט. און מ'האָט געמוזט זיך קעגנשטעלן יעדן אויסבראָך פֿון פּאַניק און בהלה.

Text from page2
תּהילת האָב איך געהאַט בדעה אין די טעג פֿון 6–7טן סעפּטעמבער נאָכצוטאָן די גרויסע מאַסן ייִדישע יוגנט: פֿאַרלאָזן װאַרשע. אָבער װען כ'בין געקומען צו מײַן שעף זיך געזעגענען האָט ער מיך אָנגעהויבן צו בעטן, נישט אַװעקצוגײן און כ'האָב באַשלאָסן צו בלײַבן.

װאַרשע איז ביז ראָש־השנה, װי פֿריער געזאָגט, טאָג־טעגלעך באָמבאַרדירט געװאָרן. אָבער אַזעלכע גיהנום־טעג, װי ס'איז געװען ערבֿ ראָש־השנה, איז פֿריער נישט געװען.

אינדערפֿרי איז געװען לפֿי־ערך רויִק. איך בין אַװעקגעפֿאָרן מיט אַ פֿור קײן גראָכאָװ אין דער גאַרבערײַ און פֿון דאָרט געבראַכט אַ פֿור מיט לעדער (כ'האָב געהאַט אַ ספּעציעלע דערלויבעניש פֿון דער שטאָט־קאָמענדאַטור צו פֿירן עס). װי כ'בין געקומען צום פּלאַץ מוראַנאָװ, האָט מיך שוין פֿאַרכאַפּט די באָמבאַרדירונג. ס'האָבן אָנגעהויבן ברענען הײַזער. פֿלאַמען האָבן געזעצט פֿון די שכנותדיקע בנינים, װוּ איך האָב געװוינט און װוּ איך האָב געהאַט דינסט, װי אַן אָ.פּ.ל.–קאָמענדאַנט (נאַלעװקיס נומער 40).

די פֿרויען און קינדער זענען געװען אין די קעלערן פֿון הויז, און מיר זענען געשטאַנען אויף װאַך אין טויער. אַ זײגער 5 אין אָװנט האָבן מיר באַמערקט, װי דאָס פֿײַער פֿונ די דײַטשע צינד־באָמבעס װאַרפֿט זיך אַריבער אויף נאַלעװקיס 38. די אָ.פּ.ל–קאָמענדאַטור האָט באַשלאָסן, אַז מען דאַרף צוגרײטן דעם עולם צו דער עװענטועלער עװאַקואַציע פֿון די פֿרויען און קינדער פֿון הויף. מיר זענען אַרײַן אין די קעלערס און געזאָגט: די לאַגע איז זײער ערנסט, מ'דאַרף אָבער זיך דאָ האַלטן. ס'קאָן זײַן, אַז מ'װעט דאַרפֿן פֿאַרלאָזן דעם הויף. זאָל זיך אָבער יעדער היטן און זײַן רויִק.

אין קעלער האָבן מיר, אָ.פּ.ל–טוער (פּונקט װי אַנדערע), געהאַט צוגעגרײט האַנט־װאַליזקעס, מיט די נויטיקע זאַכן, צו נעמען עס, װען ס'װעט זײַן נויטיק. מיר האָבן גענומען די װאַליזקעס און זענען אַרויס. דער עולם, דערזעענדיק, אַז מיר האָבן גענומען די װאַליזקעס, האָט פֿאַרשטאַנען, אַז די לאַגע איז ערנסט, און אַלע האָבן זיך אַ שאָט געטאָן פֿון קעלער אַרויס.

מ'איז געלאָפֿן אין די גאַסן אין בהלה. געלאָפֿן איז מען פֿון אומעטום און אָן אַ ציל, אָן אַ ריכטונג. איך בין אַװעק אויף שװיענטאיערסקע גאַס. כ'בין אַהין געגאַנגען, װײַל דאָרט װוינט מײַן שעף, און יענץ װינקל איז דאַן נישט געװען באַרירט פֿון דער באָמבאַרדירונג און שׂרפֿה.

Text from page3
בײַ מײַן שעף האָב איך געװוינט 3 טעג. צו אים זענען געקומען צו לויפֿן זײַן משפּחה, 7 פּערזאָן פֿון אײַזן גאַס 89(יאַקובאָװיטש). דאָרט איז אַרײַן אַ באָמבעס אונ צעשטערט זײערע דירות. זענען זײ געקומען אויף שװיענטאיערסקע גאַס, און במילא האָב איך געמוזט זיך אַריבערציען. איך בין אַװעק אויף האַזשע גאַס 54.

אין משך פֿון דער גאַנצער באָמבאַרדירונג, ביז די דײַטשן זענען אַרײַן, זענען געװען אָן אַ שיעור און אַ צאָל קרבנות, סײַ געטראָפֿענע פֿון באָמבע־שפּליטערס, סײַ פֿאַרשאָטענע און חרובֿ געװאָרענע פֿון באָמבעס, אָדער פֿאַרברענטע הײַזער.

דעם ערשטן טאָג ראָש־השנה איז געװען שטיל. בין איך אַרויס אָנקוקן דעם חורבן פֿון דער נעכטיקער שׂרפֿה. די גאַסן זענען געװען פֿול מיט הרוגים. פֿלאַטפֿאָרמעס זענען געפֿאָרן איבער די גאַסן, און מ'האָט אויף זײ אַרויפֿגעלײגט די קרבנות.

בײַם דורכהויף װאַלאָװע גאַס 8–פֿראַנשישקאַנער גאַס 29 האָב איך געזען אַ גרויסע צאָל פֿאַרברענטע מענטשן. אויף די גאַסן סטאַװקי און ניזקע זענען געשטאַנען פּלאַטפֿאָרמעס מיט הרוגים.

אויף פֿראַנטשישקאַנער גאַס 29 האָט מען געשאַצט די צאָל הרוגים אין די הונדערטער.

אויף גענשע גאַס 25 זענען אין אַ קעלער פֿאַרשאָטן געװאָרן 35 מאַן – צװישן זײ מײַנער אַ חבֿר רײמאַן, אַ שטובן־מאָלער, געװוינט אויף מוראַנאָװסקע גאַס 40, אַלט געװען אַ יאָר 26. ס'ערשטע יאָר נאָך דער חתונה, געװען אַלײן פֿון כעלם. דרײַ װאָכן איז ער דערנאָך געלעגן אונטער די חורבֿות.

מיט מיר איז געװען אַזאַ מין פֿאַל: אין אַ געװיסן טאָג איז צו מיר געקומען מײַנס אַ באַקאַנט מײדל פֿון גראָכאָװ. דעם זעלבן טאָג איז באַװוּסט געװאָרן, אַז גראָכאָװ איז שטאַרק באָמבאַרדירט געװאָרן. דאָס מײדל האָט זיך געריסן אַהײם. איך האָב זי צוגעפֿירט ביז דער קערבעדזש־בריק, אָבער אין דער זעלבער רגע זענען אָנגעפֿלויגן דײַשטע אַעראָפּלאַנען און אָנגעהויבן שטאַרק צו באָמבאַרדירן די בריק און דעם קעניגלעכן שלאָס. דאָס איז געװען דאַן, װען מײַן באַקאַנטע איז געװען אויף דער בריק. איך האָב אין שרעק איבערגעװאַרט די באָמבאַרדירונג און נאָכדעם געגאַנגען זי זוכן. די בריק איז געװען צעלכערט. כ'האָב געדאַרפֿט איבערשפּרינגען פֿון אײן ברעט צום צװײטן. אויף דער צװײטער זײַט איז געװען חרובֿ דער דאָם זשאָלניעזשא (זעלנער־הײם), װוּ מ'גײט צום זאָאָלאָגישן גאָרטן. אונטער די חורבֿות זענען געלעגן מאַסן הרוגים. מײַן באַקאַנטע האָב איך נישט געפֿונען. ערשט שפּעטער

Text from page4
האָב איך זיך טעלעפֿאָניש פֿאַרבונדן מיט גראָכאָװ און זיך דערװוּסט, אַז זי לעבט.

גלײַך װי די דײַטשן זענען אַרײַן קײן װאַרשע, איז אויף מאָרגן מעגלעך געװאָרן אַרויסצוגײן פֿון שטאָט. איך בין אַװעק קײן פּולאַװ זען, װאָס מײַן מוטער מאַכט.

איך בין געגאַנגען צו פֿוס. די 140 קילאָמעטער האָבן מיר געמאַכט אין 3 טעג. גײן האָט מען געמעגט נאָר, ביז די נאַכט איז צוגעפֿאַלן. געגאַנגען זענען מיר זאַלבעצװײט – איך מיט נאָך אײנעם, אַ פּולאַװער.

אויפֿן װעג האָבן מיר די ערשטע נאַכט גענעכטיקט אין אַ דאָרף הינטער אָטװאָצק בײַ אַ פּויער, און די צװײטע נאַכט – אין ריקי.

מיר זענען אַדורך פֿאַרבײַ גאַרװאָלין. די שטאָט איז געװען אין גאַנצן פֿאַרברענט. אפֿשר אַ צענטליק הײַזער איז געבליבן גאַנץ. די ייִדישע באַפֿעלקערונג איז אין שטאָט נישט געװען. 2 ייִדן האָבן מיר געטראָפֿן, װעלכע האָבן געזוכט און גענישטערט אויף זײערע חורבֿות.

איז ריקי האָבן מיר גענעכטיקט בײַם פּולאַװער רבֿס זון (ס'איז געװען די צװײטע טעג סוכות). העכער 60 פּראָצענט פֿון שטאָט איז פֿאַרברענט. דער פּולאַװער רבֿס זון האָט אונדז דערצײלט, אַז קײן ריקי זענען אין דער ערשטער װאָך פֿון דער מלחמה אָנגעקומען מאַסן ייִדן פֿון דעמבלין. געקומען זענען זײ קײן ריקי, װײַל אין דעמבלין זענען פֿאַראַן גרויסע פֿאָרטן און לופֿט־פֿלי־פּלעצער, האָט זיך די באַפֿעלקערונג געריכט אויף לופֿט־אַטאַקעס פֿון די דײַטשן און איז זיך צעלאָפֿן. האָבן די דײַטשע פֿליער, משמעות, דערזען אַ גרויסן המון. האָבן זײ באָמבאַרדירט ריקי. און דעמאָלט זענען געפֿאַלן 400 פֿון דעמבלין און ריקי.

אין פּולאַװ איז מער װי אַ העלפֿט פֿאַרברענט געװאָרן פֿון דײַטשע צינד־באָמבעס. ס'זענען אָפּגעברענט געװאָרן: די פּיאַסקאָװע גאַס (דאָרט, װוּ די יאַטקעס זענען), די גאַנצע גאַס חרובֿ; דעם רבֿס גאַס (אַ טײל חרובֿ); לובלינער גאַס (אַ טײל חרובֿ); פּילסודסקי־גאַס (אַ טײל חרובֿ).

עס זענען פֿאַרברענט געװאָרן בײדע בתּי־מדרשים און די אַלטע שול. אין דער אַלטער שול איז אַרײַן אַ גראַנאַט און נישט אויפֿגעריסן. האָבן נאָכדעם די דײַטשן אויפֿגעריסן דעם גראַנאַט, און די שול איז זיך צעפֿאַלן.

נעבן האָטל בריסטאָל (פּילסודסקי־גאַס) איז געפֿאַלן אַ באָמבע פֿון װעלכער ס'זענען דערהרגעט געװאָרן 40 מאַן פּולאַװער, לרובֿ ייִדן, צװישן די דערהרגעטע זענען געװען:

Text from page5

1) געװירצמאַן, אַ זעצער, געלאָזט אַ פֿרוי מיט אַ קינד;

2) דאָרפֿמאַן, אַ שילער פֿון דער פּוילישער גימנאַזיע, געװוינט אויף דער קראַנצאָװער גאַס (זײַן פֿאָטער האָט אַ שפּײַז־געװעלב).

כ'בין אין פּולאַװ געבליבן 3 טעג, און היות די דײַטשן האָבן אָנגעהויבן צו כאַפּן ייִדן אויף אַרבעט, בין איך אַװעק קײן קוזמיר.

קוזמיר האָט פֿון באָמבאַרדירונגען נישט געליטן. די שטאָט בכּלל איז גאַנץ געבליבן.

װען איך בין געװען אין קוזמיר, האָט זיך פֿאַרשפּרײט אַ קלאַנג, אַז בײַ נאַכט װעלן די דײַטשן אונטערצינדן די שטאָט. די געשיכטע האָבן דערצײלט 2 אָפּאָלער פּויערים. די ייִדן זענען אַרויס פֿון די הײַזער און אַ גאַנצע נאַכט געלעגן אויף די הײף. ס'האָט זיך אָבער אויסגעלאָזט נאָר מיט שרעק, משמעות, אַז דעם קלאַנג האָבן די קריסטן אַרויסגעלאָזט, כּדי צו באַגנבֿענען די שטאָט.

אין קוזמיר בין איך געװען אַ װאָך צײַט און נאָכדעם געפֿאָרן אין װאַרשע. כ'האָב געפֿירט סחורה הין און צוריק. ייִדן האָבן מיט די באַנען נישט געטאָרט פֿאָרן. אָבער מיר האָבן אָנגעטאָן מאַטשעיוּװקעס (פּוילישע היטלעך אַזעלכע). און די דײַטשן האָבן אונדז געהאַלטן פֿאַר קריסטן.

אַזוי זענען מיר געפֿאָרן הין און צוריק אַ 3 װאָכן.

אין פּולאַװ האָבן אין משך פֿון דער דאָזיקער צײַט די דײַטשן פּולשטענדיק אויסגערויבט און רויִנירט די ייִדן. ראשית, האָבן זײ צוגענומען אַלע ייִדישע געשעפֿטן און אַװעקגעגעבן די פּאָליאַקן. נאָכדעם האָט מען די ייִדן אַרויסגעטריבן פֿון אַלע גאַסן און זײ דערלויבט צו װוינען בלויז אויף דער גדאַנסקער גאַס, הינטער דער שטאָט. דאָרט האָבן אַמאָל, פֿאַר דער מלחמה, געװוינט מערסטנס קריסטן. אויף די הײַזער, װוּ ייִדן האָבן זיך געדאַרפֿט אַרײַנציען, האָט מען מיט רויטער פֿאַרב דורך אַ דעסן אָנגעצײכנט אַ מגן־דוד.

ייִדן האָבן געמעגט זיך װײַזן אין די איבעריקע גאַסן פֿון 10 אינדערפֿרי ביז 12 בײַ טאָג. אין געטאָ, ס'הײסט אויף דער גדאַנסקער גאַס, האָבן ייִדן געמעגט גײן אַ גאַנצן טאָג.

אין אײנעם אַ קעלער פֿון האָניגספֿעלדס הויז (געװען דאָרט די ייִדישע באַנק) האָבן ייִדן פֿאַרבאַהאַלטן זײער האָב און גוט. דער קעלער איז געװען געזיכערט קעגן פֿײַער. דאָס הויז איז טאַקע פֿאַרברענט געװאָרן, און דער קעלער איז געבליבן גאַנץ. האָבן זיך די דײַטשן דערװוּסט און פֿון קעלער אַרויסגענומען

Text from page6
אַלץ. זײ האָבן אמת געמאָלדן, אַז מען זאָל קומען אין מאַגיסטראַט דערקענען און אָפּנעמען די זאַכן, אָבער װען די ייִדן זענען געקומען אין מאַגיסטראַט, האָבן זײ שוין גאָרנישט געפֿונען: אַלץ האָבן שוין די דײַטשן פֿריער פֿאַר זיך צוגענומען, אָדער צעטײלט צװישן די קריסטן.

איך בין אין שײַכות מיט מײַן מסחר געװען אין פּולאַװ דאַן, װען מ'האָט די ייִדן אַרויסגעטריבן פֿון זײערע הײַזער. האָב איך גענומען מײַן מוטער און זי אַריבערגעפֿירט קײן נאַלענטשאָװ, װוּ ס'װוינט מײַנס אַן עלטערע שװעסטער.

נאַלענטשאָװ האָט בכּלל נישט געליטן פֿון דער מלחמה. אײנמאָל האָבן די דײַטשע אַעראָפּלאַנען געװאָרפֿן מאָמבעס, װעלכע זענען אין שטעטל נישט געפֿאַלן.

אין נאַלענטשאָװ איז געשטאַנען אַ דײַטשער שטאַב. אין אַ געװיסן טאָג זענען די דײַטשן געגאַנגען פֿון שטוב צו שטוב און אַרויסגעשלעפּט פֿון דאָרט די ייִדן. צונויפֿגעקליבן אַ 30 ייִדן (מער װי 30 משפּחות ייִדישע זענען אין נאַלענטשאָװ נישט געװען). האָט מען זײ געהײסן זיך לײגן אין מיטן גאַס אין אַ קאַלוזשע און שװימען. מ'האָט דערבײַ די ייִדן געשלאָגן מכּות־רצח. אויך מײַן שװאַגער און זײַנער אַ זון זענען געװען צװישן די שװימער. פֿון די באַקומענע קלעפּ זענען זײ קראַנק געװאָרן און זיך געלײגט אין בעט. איך בין דאַן געװען אין שטעטל און זיך אויסבאַהאַלטן. כ'האָב דעמאָלט באַשלאָסן צו פֿאַרלאָזן דאָס דורך די דײַטשן פֿאַרנומענע געביט.

אונטערגעשריבן: יצחק ר.


  • Updated 4 years ago
The United Kingdom declared war on Nazi Germany on 3 September 1939, after the German invasion of Poland. After the defeat of France in the spring of 1940, the British Expeditionary Force withdrew from the European Continent. Although the Channel Islands near the French coast did fall into German hands, from the summer of 1940 until 1945, mainland Britain resisted German invasion and became a refuge for many governments-in-exile and refugees of the occupied countries in Europe. At the outbrea...

Wiener Holocaust Library

  • Wiener Library for the Study of the Holocaust & Genocide
<p><span style="color: #ff0000;"><strong>Readers need to reserve a reading room terminal to access a digital version of this archive.</strong></span></p><p>This microfilm collection consists of material gathered in Vilnius, Lithuania, by a group of refugee Polish-Jewish writers and journalists, who formed a committee to collect evidence on the conditions of Jews in Poland under German occupation. For a more detailed description of the background, objectives and methodology of this project see a...