Experiences in Lemberg


Testimony of Julia (Maria) Abraham-Stern, a trained seamstress. Her husband and son were deported, while she and her daughter were sent to the Lwów Ghetto with her parents. Her mother committed suicide to allow her to go into hiding with her daughter with a German woman. Abraham-Stern describes the logistics of hiding in a two-bedroom flat, with visitor and a jealous boyfriend. They move to an orthodox convent in March 1944. After liberation they helped their rescuers in turn to emigrate to the US.


Document Text

  1. English
  2. German
Text from page2

Interview with Julia (Maria) Stern - Abraham - London

Experiences in Lemberg and the ghetto there and during the German occupation.

Being saved by a German Civil Servant and a Ukranian convent.

Before the war, I lived with my husband and two children in Krakow, Poland. My husband was a Bank Manager and I, myself, studied to be a tailor in my youth and had a fashion salon, which went very well.

In my youth, I insisted on learning a trade and studied to be a tailor. I was actually a fervent Zionist and wanted to emigrate to Israel. In order to do this, I needed a practical trade. My parents, however, were very much against it. They were not Zionists. They were also not overly pious Jews, but were what I would describe as good Jews. I, thus, visited a technical college and learned everything about tailoring and I was also a teacher for a few years at the same college - This latter profession would prove very beneficial to me during the occupation.

A day before the outbreak of war, we left Krakow to resettle in Lemberg, where my parents lived. I remained there until the end of the war.

During the first two years of the war, Lemberg formed part of the Russian zone of occupation… that means: occupied by the Russians. Nothing happened to us during this time and I may say explicitly that the Russians behaviour was beyond reproach. We could pursue our trades. My husband worked once a week at a bank and I as a Tailor. Our children, a daughter of nine years and a son of five attended school. Apart from that, even though a war was on, that we were occupied by a foreign army and that we considered the Russians invaders and did not love our enemy…, nothing disturbed our existence.

During this time, many Polish Jews were kidnapped and taken to Siberia. These were those Jews who had decided to cross the border into the German zone or had attempted to do so illegally. They were classified as unreliable and transported to Siberia. As we were not of such a mind to emigrate from the Russian occupied zone into the German, we were left alone. We were given Russian passports and nothing more.

When I now think about it, what we later experienced and suffered at the hands of the Germans, I can only say that it was not clear to us at the time that relatively the Russians behaved like angels.

Text from page3

In June 1941, the Germans came and the persecution of the Jews began immediately. This would not have been possible had the Ukranian and Polish populations not gone along with it. Had they not done this, the Germans would first of all have been forced to find out who was a Jew and where they lived. The Ukranians and Poles knew this and immediately informed the German occupiers, so that no-one needed to wait for murder and persecution.

Immediately after the invasion of the Germans, the Jews were ordered into so-called labour camps, where the distribution of so-called work began. To this, belonged, for example, cleaning of the barracks for women. Mothers’ were not permitted to take their daughters to this work, and fathers’, their sons. My husband registered himself as a carpenter as, at the time, it was assumed amongst the Jews, that Jews with practical trades would not be deported. It was in this way that I took my daughter and my husband our small son to work. The work never went by without beatings and brutality. We received no pay and nothing to eat. In order to keep ourselves alive, we furtively sold jewellery and other items belonging to our parents. This was, of course, strictly forbidden, but gentile Poles risked punishment, because they could buy the most beautiful objects for a song in this way. With this money, we bought black market food. Even this was, naturally, forbidden.

In spring 1942, the so-called resettlements began and nobody knew that it concerned evacuation into the gas chambers of Belzec. At the time, 15-20,000 Jews with children went there. Even I was trapped with my husband and children in the school which served as a detention centre and we waited for deportation. As a result of a coincidence that was never really explained, we were brought out of the school by the Council of Jewish Elders and sent back to our already cordoned-off apartment by the Gestapo. We had spent a day and a night in the detention centre. Our parents, who lived in another part of Lemberg were, at this time, left alone. We decided from now on not to let our children onto the streets alone.

In August 1942, the first large-scale operation took place. At the time, the SS put a special stamp on the Jewish permit. It was said that, those who had a stamp on their card, would not be resettled. My husband had such a stamp and felt very secure because of it. I did not have such a stamp. Therefore, we decided that he would take the children and I would seek a hiding place.

We did not believe in the killings and people spoke constantly of resettlement. Continuously during the day and particularly at night, trains departed with Jews…, since that time,

Text from page4
I cannot bear the sound of trains.

We then later found out that some of the transports went directly to Bergen-Belsen. Only the younger people were initially deported to the various concentration camps, where they were slowly killed.

We looked for a hiding place for me and found one in the house next door. There, a Jewish woman had a hat shop, which had, naturally, long since stopped trading and within this closed shop the owner lived with her sister-in-law and niece. I asked her if she would allow me to hide in this shop. We could not think of a better hiding place. The owner did not want me to bring my children with me and, as we did not believe that anything would happen to my husband and children, it was agreed that I would move into the shop and that, each morning before going to work, my husband would give my food to my daughter in the shop on my behalf. He would then collect her in the evening.

At the time, I spent the whole day at the keyhole of the locked shop door and observed what went on in the street. I saw how my husband went to work every morning with our son, and saw them return in the evening. I also saw the Gestapo and the leading away of the Jews.

On the afternoon of the 5th of August, it was the fifth day of the operation, one of the womens’ brothers came, who had hidden me and said It’s terrible today! Today, they’re taking the children!

I got a terrible shock and begged her brother to get a message to my husband from me that he should hide our children, but it was already too late!

From the keyhole, I could only see what happened directly in front of the house. And, upon hearing the Gestapo and seeing them pass by, I did not know that they had gone into the house next-door. We could hear how a member of the SS asked the Landlady for the key to the shop. The landlady did not have the key, but a neighbour said that she had one and went to get it. The SS man put it into the lock of the door leading to our hiding place, but the lock did not work properly. We all stood paralysed with fear. He shook the door and pulled the bell cord up and down, but the door did not open. One kick with his boot would have sufficed to kick it in, but this did not happen. The SS man turned around and left without having opened the door.

We were all still as if possessed. I heard a little girl say loudly to the Landlady outside the house next-door They took Herr Stern and little Uri from our house! And, as the landlady was hard of hearing, she repeated the sentence once more even louder.

It was in this way that I learnt that they had taken my husband and child.

Text from page5

I never heard from them again. When it was dark, I wanted to go onto the street to look for them. The Jewish shopkeeper was very friendly. The sister-in-law and niece fainted after the affair with the SS man at the door. They are now all dead. I spent 14 days wandering the streets at the time and tried to find out anything I could, but it was in vain.

My parents were still alive. They were, along with 120 others, in hiding in an attic. At this time, the Germans had killed 40,000 Jews. Later, a ghetto was opened. All Jews had to go there voluntarily. It was a very small and cramped ghetto. We lived 8 people to a formerly very small commercial premises. I had my parents with me there, who only there learned of the disappearance of my husband and son.

We all had to live inside the ghetto and work outside it. About six weeks after the operation I found work as a tailor for two secretaries from the German Housing Office. The first secretary was called Irmgard Wieth. She was about 30 years old and came from Strasbourg where her father was a teacher at the grammar school. She was very enthusiastic to have found a good tailor and spoke to me often. She also enquired as to what had happened to my husband and child, whereupon she said Why did you not hide the child? At the time, I said to myself that she had to be a kind-hearted person, who sympathised and thought that I would possibly turn to her in an emergency.

Like all German civil servants, Frau Wieth was very good at general management. She lived in a very nice one-bedroom apartment with a kitchen and bath. She was supplied with considerable quantities of food and clothes in particular. These were clothes which had been taken from Jews. It was these clothes which I had to alter for her.

In November 1942, a second operation began. In the very first night, I coincidentally did not find myself in the ghetto, but my parents and my daughter were there. I had spent the whole day working at a Polish lady’s. It was late and I said I wanted to go. She said that I had better stay the night there. Jews were not allowed on the streets at night, so I stayed. Very early, it was still dark, my daughter came. She had run away from the ghetto, so I took my daughter to work with me in the Housing Office. During the night and the following day, many Jews were arrested, who were not employed in the Wehrmacht and, as I turned up at the Housing Office, I was told We are no longer allowed to employ you!

Most of the Jews, who had worked at the Housing Office, did not go, only a very few, who knew nothing of the matter, like me,

Text from page6

went to work at the Housing Office that morning.

I was totally helpless. It was quite clear to me, if I returned to the ghetto now with my daughter, we would be killed. And, as I saw no other way out, I crept to Frau Wieth and asked her if I could not, at least, give her my daughter for a few days. Her first reaction was great surprise. How can I do that? She asked me. I know that you are alone in your apartment! I said that I knew why she hesitated; she was uncertain, as only Germans lived in the block. Finally, she explained that she would have to think about it.

For the whole day, I sat in the corridor of the Housing Office and waited. Some Jews were needed for black market work. Now and again, Frau Wieth appeared in order to see if I was still there. The other Jews, who were sitting there, asked me what I was going to do. I was scared to say anything to them. I could not say anything to them. Somehow, I had the feeling that Frau Wieth would help me in the end, but nobody should know this.

Around about evening, Frau Wieth appeared again in the corridor and collected me. I must speak with my colleague she said. Please wait! The colleague, the second secretary, with whom she was close friends, and for whom I had also altered clothes, as well as for a male supervisor. After quite a long time, she appeared once more and said to me It’s OK! Take your armband off (with the yellow star of David) and throw it away. Then, walk slowly and calmly along the street towards the tram stop. My friend and the Town Councillor will go before you and I will follow.

It was in this manner that we walked through the whole town and were brought into Frau Wieth’s apartment. She only had potatoes to eat in her apartment, as she almost always ate in the canteen at work. This was all the same to us. We were happy with the potatoes.

I stayed at Frau Wieth’s for two weeks with my daughter. I made enquiries as to whether the operation was over yet. I was very fearful for my parents. I did not know whether they were still alive. It was only after two weeks that Frau Wieth let me go. I had to go into the ghetto to find my parents. They were both alive, but they both believed that my daughter and I were no longer alive. I returned to Frau Wieth’s apartment and explained to her that I absolutely had to return to the ghetto. I could not leave my parents alone there.

In the meantime, new armbands had been distributed to the Jews, with the insignia of the Wehrmacht. Frau Wieth knew a Jewish Doctor and she asked where she could get an armband for me. The Jewish Doctor was very surprised when he heard that Frau Wieth had kept a Jew in hiding and he asked her to take a relative of his. He offered her a great deal of money for this.

Text from page7

Frau Wieth came and told us that she was utterly disgusted. I’m not doing it for money! she explained. If I have you and your child at my home, I have a clear conscience…, but for money? No way!

Again and again she protested when I told her I must return to the ghetto to my parents. Alright! she said one day. Go, if you have to! But Lilith (that was my daughter) is staying with me! That’s a shame for the Gestapo. They’ll shoot you one day and then I’ll adopt Lilith!

I then got my new armband with her help, went back into the ghetto and my daughter remained with her. Despite the armband, my position was very complicated. Possession of an armband ought to prove that the wearer had work with the Wehrmacht, but I had no such work. I had, first of all, to acquire it illegally. This, I did as soon as I had succeeded in getting back into the ghetto and some work in the factory. The Director of this factory was very understanding towards Jews and was very good to them. I was even allowed to take my father into the factory with me. Had I not been able to do this, he would have been killed at that time. He was 63 years old; I said he was 55 and therefore he was allowed to come to work with me in the factory. Every morning, we always left the ghetto with a group of 35 Jews, in order to go to the factory. The groups, who went to work, were always led by a band of musicians composed of Jews, who had to play pleasing melodies. It was always the same torment for me each morning and I had the feeling that I was losing ever more nerves each morning. But, this was, of course, the intention of the Nazis. They were quite systematically driving us all mad! They wanted to ruin our nerves.

From the groups of those going to work, there were, daily, hundreds brought out and murdered. You never knew, when leaving the ghetto, whether you would return alive. It was in this way that countless Jews disappeared into nothingness. In March 1943, they took my father from me at the entrance of the ghetto and I never saw him again.

Every Saturday evening, I furtively joined a group of Jews who were working during the night. In the darkness of the street, I discreetly took off my armband and crept away through the whole town to Frau Wieth. Then, during the following Sunday, I altered her clothes, for it was only in this way that I could thank her for what she had done for my daughter. For some reason, Frau Wieth loved my needlework and, as her only interest was clothes, the work never came to an end. One of her rooms was full of cupboards filled with clothes. This is how I spent Sundays’ with her and every Monday, at 3.30am I crept from Frau Wieth's, through the town and back into the ghetto in such a way that I joined a group of Jews unobserved returning from working through the night.

In the ghetto,

Text from page8
I turned around and went with another group who were going to work through the day in the factory, outside of the ghetto. The whole thing was, naturally, very dangerous and Frau Wieth said to me again and again that I would definitely be caught by the Gestapo one day. The streets were full of Germans, Ukrainians and Poles, who might recognise me. Even if I was inconspicuous, anyone could see that I looked very rough and hungry, as all Jews looked in comparison to other people on the streets. This is how I spent every weekend from December 1942 until the end of May 1943 without anything ever happening to me.

On the 31st of May, it was proclaimed The ghetto will be liquidated on the 1st of June. All Jews within it must voluntarily report to the concentration camp

The owner of our factory tried once more to help all of the Jews who had worked for him, so that we did not need to go into the camp. He negotiated with the Gestapo and explained that our 35 strong group of Jews could live in the factory. He promised the Gestapo that he would have a particularly good leather overcoat illegally finished for each one of them and the Gestapo agreed.

However, after they had received their overcoats, they insisted that the Jews would have to leave the factory for the camp.

As I left the ghetto, in order to resettle in the factory, I was not allowed to take my mother with me. She had had typhus and pneumonia and was very weak, but had survived both. I, thus, smuggled her out of the ghetto into the factory. And now we were supposed to go into the camp and the Director was ordered to hasten all of us into this camp.

I did not know what to do! I knew that if I hid, I could probably save myself by getting to Frau Wieth during the night, but this would mean that I would have to leave my mother to go into the concentration camp alone, and I could not bring myself to do that. To take her with me to Frau Wieth was impossible. It was also too far and she was too weak. I spoke to the Director of the factory and begged him to help us in any way he could. I was in the Director’s office during this conversation and my mother was in one of the rooms of the factory. She must have felt what was going on inside me. I suddenly heard a large noise and disquiet in the square. Your mother has fallen out of the window! At first, I did not catch on at all and continued to talk to the Director, until someone came up to me again and called me. This time, I understood. I raced down the staircase into the square. I found my mother in a sea of blood; one eye was missing and the crown of her skull was broken, but she was fully conscious.

Text from page9

I called like mad for the medics. I had totally forgotten in my excitement that Jews had no right to medical assistance. I phoned them and asked them to come immediately. As time passed and no-one arrived, I ran in order to ask why no-one was coming. I was then told that the medics had turned up, but had left again upon being told the matter concerned a Jew.

In the meantime, the Director had readied a car in which his group of Jews would be conveyed to the concentration camp. Upon my request, he had a stretcher brought upon which my mother was laid. The Director then ordered that we be brought to the ghetto..., to the ghetto hospital and be dropped off there. Then, the remaining passengers would be taken to the camp. This event saved my life.

I knew that the ghetto was to be burned down the following day and I knew that my mother, like everyone else, had an even greater fear of the ghetto hospital, as it was very brutal there and that those patients to be treated, who could not be saved, were thrown out of the window.

So, I sat in the car next to my mother, who was still fully conscious, and yet blood nevertheless streamed incessantly from her wounds. I must take you to the ghetto hospital! I said to her. Are you afraid? To which she replied I’m not afraid!

I was fully aware of the fact that my mother had attempted to kill herself, in order to free me, so that I was free to go to my child and try to save us both.

Upon arriving in the hospital, we carried my mother in and placed the stretcher in the bathroom. All those Jews who had been in the hospital were about to leave. They all asked me if I was crazy to have come back with my mother. Within the hospital, I found a doctor and no patients. They had murdered them all in the last few days. Some attempted to lift my mother out of the continually streaming blood. I asked the Doctor to help her. He said that he had no medication or anything else. I, nevertheless, asked him again and again. Jews ran in and out of the camp. I, once again, looked in the room where my mother lay. She said Go with God! I am now with God!

I shut the door and looked once again for the Doctor. I still had 200 Zloty which I had hidden on my person. This, I gave to him. Here! Take this Doctor! and I asked him one last time to give my mother something..., something which worked quickly.

Text from page10

Finally, he promised! Whether he actually did it..., I’ll never know!

Then, I ran down and out of the hospital and joined a group of Jews leaving the ghetto for the concentration camp. I ran like an automaton beside them. I ran totally possessed and desparately. I did not think for a minute about taking off my armband and to try to get to my child. Through pure coincidence, the whole time I ran next to a young relative of mine..., a cousin. She spoke incessantly to me, but I did not listen at all and ran on. But she did not give up. Again and again she said to me..., Go away! You must go to your child! Run! Quickly! Go! Again, I did not react and my cousin spoke on You must go! Quickly! Otherwise it’s too late!

I cannot explain it, how it suddenly happened and as I quite suddenly had the impulse to carefully take off my armband and allow it to disappear into my pocket as we got quite close to the gates of the camp. Just as automatically, I slipped away from the group, which carried on. Poles and Ukrainians were standing at the gates of the camp and looked on transfixed at how the Jews went voluntarily and without any supervision whatsoever into the camp and to their deaths.

I also do not know how I arrived totally unharmed into the block and Frau Wieth's apartment. A few weeks earlier, Frau Wieth had taken a Jewish couple in and as I now arrived and asked her to remain, four people were there, who she was hiding. This was in June 1943.

The situation was very complicated for Frau Wieth, as it was for us. It was horrifying for us to consider what Frau Wieth was risking in order to save us. We also had to eat, but we did not want to burden Frau Wieth at all with such matters, so I disguised myself as a country peasant, barefoot and crept out of the house to get something to eat. It was only a little, as everything came from the black market, as we had no other food. Only Germans lived in the block, who naturally, knew that Frau Wieth worked all day in the Housing Office and that her apartment was empty all day. We scarcely dare not appear. A period of time thus passed, during which we and Frau Wieth became ever more nervous.

Then, one day, Frau Wieth suddenly received a telegram from Amsterdam from an old friend of hers, who informed her that he had two weeks leave and was coming to visit. Frau Wieth was totally beside herself and explained that we would have to make ourselves scarce. Good! I said. I saw her terrifying fear and wanted, initially, to calm her.

Text from page11
I will try to find somewhere for us! It was, however, totally impossible for me.

The married Jewish couple, the husband of whom was a Pharmacist, had zyankali. He suggested that we share the poison, so that we could all poison ourselves. I told Frau Wieth that she should not worry, that we would leave her apartment and find somewhere to commit suicide. Frau Wieth protested vehemently. You don’t know where to go! Even she was afraid.

We gathered together and made a plan. The dining room next to the kitchen was emptied and, from now on, we always locked ourselves in when Frau Wieth had visitors. Beforehand, we stayed in the kitchen, where nobody went. Moreover, it was decided that during the visit of Frau Wieth's friend from Amsterdam, the Pharmacist and my daughter would be locked in the dining room. His wife would openly pose as Frau Wieth's cook, who also lived with her and I would pose a her Tailor, who would work for her during the day and go home in the evening. I had to act as if I was leaving. These roles we then both played. The cook lived officially at Frau Wieth and slept in the kitchen. It was in this way that her friend could not go into the kitchen in the evening. Every evening I would loudly say Adieu!; Frau Wieth would accompany me to the door of her apartment and whilst she opened and closed the door loudly and acted as though she was still talking to me, I crept back to the kitchen on tiptoes. All four of us slept in the kitchen on the floor, that is, in reality we did not sleep much. We constantly worried about one another, that one of us would make some kind of suspicious noise, talk whilst sleeping or even snore and so we all took care of each other.

During the day, Frau Wieth always went to work in the Housing Office and the friend stayed at the apartment. He continually went into the kitchen to talk to us. The Pharmacist and my daughter sat on the floor of the dining room. I placed a large table in front of the door to the dining room and spread my sewing out there. I did not speak much and when I did speak, I did so only a very little and in bad German. I always acted as though I did not understand what her friend said. He talked for hours on end and gave us long lectures about the war and the increasing English air raids.

Sometimes, I left the kitchen and acted as though I had something to do in one of the rooms…, then I called him to help me with some hastily made-up chore, in order, in this way, to get him out of the kitchen.

As we all spoke to each other in whispers, Frau Wieth became acquainted with this when she was at home. Her friend picked up upon this. He could not understand and would, therefore, ask her about it, or he would come out to me

Text from page12

in the kitchen to ask me whether I could understand why Frau Wieth whispered so strangely and why she was so terribly nervous. I always said I could not understand and gave all sorts of reasons in my broken German. Two weeks finally came to an end and he went back to Amsterdam and we were all alone once more.

A new problem surfaced when Frau Wieth was supposed to go on holiday for two weeks to her mother’s. This time, she had to leave us all alone in the flat. She had no other option but to lock us in for the whole time she was away. We could not even so much as move as the apartment was, of course, officially empty. My daughter wasn’t allowed to sneeze; we weren’t able to pull the chain on the toilet…, but, this time, everything went well and when Frau Wieth returned from holiday, all was well.

Yet, Frau Wieth became less calm and ever more nervous. We did what we could to calm her down, but there was really nothing we could do as we were, of course, the reason for her disquiet. We became accustomed to reading her every wish from her eyes and we behaved like slaves to serve her and to be helpful to her. In the meantime, she had formed a relationship with a Wehrmacht officer, who often visited her. He would always stay in the front room and never went into the kitchen.

For some inexplicable reason, her friend in Amsterdam learned of her friendship with the Wehrmacht officer and he, thus, appeared one day from Amsterdam out of sheer jealousy without announcing his arrival beforehand. He kicked up such a fuss at the front door that we all reeled in shock, as we all believed it was the Gestapo. All four of us hastily disappeared into the kitchen, which we locked behind us. Frau Wieth went slowly to the door in order to give us time to disappear. The man stormed in and began charging around like a wild animal, but not in search of us as we had thought, but after the supposed rival. He shook the kitchen door and even looked through the keyhole in order to see whether his rival had, perhaps, hid himself there, but did not see us. He posed a terrible sight, but Frau Wieth finally succeeded in calming him down. He had, of course, found no-one, so he went away.

This time, not only were we more dead than alive when we were alone once more, Frau Wieth was beside herself. It became ever more complicated for us to calm her down. Every time someone knocked on the door she believed it was the Gestapo; she no longer wanted to open the door and it became ever more difficult

Text from page13
to persuade her not to lose her head.

Her friend from Amsterdam did not allow any peace. He got in contact with Frau Wieth friend in the Housing Office, the second Secretary, for whom I had sewn in the beginning and for whose part was asked for advice about Frau Wieth along with the Town Councillor, whether they should have taken on my daughter and I and then, finally, whether they had helped my daughter and I get into Frau Wieth's apartment.

Both Frau Wieth's colleague and her friend advised him, among other things, that Frau Wieth had accommodated my child and I. He then turned up again one day totally surprisingly and barely after the door had opened, beginning to strike out and growled I know everything! You’ve been keeping a Jew and her child in here in hiding! You’ll leave your job in the general government in eight days otherwise I’ll report you!

Frau Wieth began to cry and eventually convinced him to go with her into a room and not remain in the corridor, where all the other occupants could hear what he was saying. The argument then continued for hours, whilst we crouched down with fear in the dining room. He, then, eventually went away.

From now on…, from March 1944, all four of us lived almost exclusively in the dining room. Frau Wieth then received orders to leave Lemberg. The Germans dissolved the administration of the general government before the arrival of the approaching Russians and Frau Wieth was to travel with the remaining civil servants back to Germany. Now, for all four of us, it became essential to find a new hiding place.

The Jewish couple, who were hidden with us, had contacts in the Greek-Orthodox community, that is, the Ukrainian convent in Lemberg and with the Metropolite Szepticki, who had already kept around 60 Jews in hiding with him or in other convents. This involved the families of Rabbis’ in particular. The Pharmacist knew these people and his son was in hiding there. He and his wife now turned to Szepticki asking for help. Frau Wieth insisted that she would tell the entire truth to the Metropolite. She would make it clear to him that they were hidden at Frau Wieth's with my daughter and me and that she would really ask him to take all four of us. In the beginning she asked, later, she insisted. I knew from the very beginning that this would be very difficult. In order to be taken into a Ukrainian convent you had to have very good contacts and references. The married couple had such with the Metropolite and with other diverse convents, who were subordinate to them. They not only had references, but also documents. I, however, had neither one nor the other.

Text from page14

In response to this, I told the Pharmacist that he should, in the first instance, do everything possible to save his wife and himself. I did not believe for a second that he would do the slightest thing for me. I asked him only at the very end that, should he be successful in finding shelter for him and his wife, to put in a word for my daughter and me.

Despite his contacts at the convent, the couple had the greatest difficult being accepted and their discussions went back and forth for weeks. I had no idea what would become of me and my child and it was very bad, as Frau Wieth had, initially, to pack her things. At the time, I just thought constantly how lucky it was that we had the zyankali. Then, a miracle happened! The couple had finally succeeded in persuading the Metropolite to take us in. And, exactly 24 hours before they had to leave our house, a nun in the convent, where the woman was to be taken in, agreed to take in my daughter and me. Of course, she insisted that we would have to move into the convent within 24 hours. This was difficult for me, as I had promised Frau Wieth I would remain with her until her departure and help her. There was, thus, no option for me other than to take my child to the convent for 11 o’clock the next day. Once there, I explained to the nun why I had to return to Frau Wieth and then returned to her apartment. I helped her pack and took her to the train; then I went to the convent as well.

I could, of course, not speak Ukrainian, yet they were very good to us. My daughter went into an orphanage annexed to the convent. And, again, I was lucky that I could sew. I was immediately given a sewing machine and a pile of sewing. It was in this way that I sewed for the orphans until the end of the war. We were fed well and amply and actually began to recover somewhat physically.

A fairly long while passed until I began to notice that the nun was becoming rather a little less frien

dly with me than at the beginning. Finally, one day, a Jewish woman said to me, who was also hiding in the convent, rather as if in passing, the nun no longer wants you here, because you won’t be baptised!I was absolutely horrified, as I had not given it any thought at all. It was then explained to me that those supervising the convent always expected such things without having to speak of it. Although I was anything but that which could be described as a pious Jew, I stuck to my beliefs and the thought of baptism to me was horrifying. At that time, I could not sleep for many nights until I decided to have my daughter and myself baptised. But, the nun’s stance became ever more unpleasant and so I went to her one day and explained that I would like to have my daughter and I baptised. The nun immediately became filled with interest

and changed her

Text from page15
stance in an instant. A priest was assigned the task of instructing my daughter and I. My daughter was immensely pleased. She found everything great and was completely happy and content. And, with that, I had no way out, if I wanted to save my life and my child’s life. One night, I dreamt of my father. In my dream, I asked him what I should do. He replied very calmly Just do it! It is the right thing to do! There is, of course, only one God! Afterwards, it was much easier for me. One day, news arrived from Frau Wieth. She was back in Lemberg and wanted all four of us to go back to her. The nun quite energetically denounced the idea. The Pharmacist’s wife, whom she did not like very much, she wanted to leave, but neither my daughter nor I could go. So, we stayed in the convent.

During the preparations for the baptism, we had to attend mass every Sunday and the church was located in the district in which we had earlier lived when my husband and son were still alive. I was always afraid when I was going to and from the church that someone would recognise me. I was well dressed again and looked well-kept and nourished once more. It was easy to recognise me again.

Many people, who previously knew me, went to this church and followed me from the service to the convent. I immediately reported it to the nun and was immediately resettled into the orphanage.

At the same time, the nun explained to the Pharmacist’s wife that it would be better if she returned to Frau Wieth, as she could no longer keep her at the convent. There was nothing else for the woman to do but to go. I, however, was sent, first of all, to ask Frau Wieth for the key to her apartment. The Pharmacist’s wife later remained in Frau Wieth's apartment and, after Frau Wieth was ordered back to Germany, quite a few Germans vacated this block and Lemberg.

When the Russians came, they behaved exactly as they had in the beginning…, thoroughly correctly. No-one harassed us; we could come and go as we pleased. This time, we really had the feeling that they were angels who had liberated us.

At my baptism, I was given the name Maria.

Sometime after the end of the war, I was able to send my daughter to England through an international aid organisation.


Text from page16
then gave her the task of immediately trying to get in contact with Frau Wieth. I had the address of her parents in Germany and really wanted to know whether she was alive and how she was. My daughter succeeded in contacting Frau Wieth. She was alive, but was obviously not doing too well. When I arrived in England a year after my daughter, I tried to acquire food and clothes for Frau Wieth. This was made possible with the help of an American aid organisation, which declared itself in the case. We began to become interested in Frau Wieth and, initially, began one day to visit us in England. It was very exciting to see her again. At the time, she explained that she no longer wanted to remain in Germany and with the assistance of the same American aid organisation, I was actually able to make it possible, that she went to the USA. There, she found employment and remained there. She no longer wishes to return to Germany. She works for a Jewish family, whose household she manages. Her love for my daughter hasn’t changed. When my daughter got married two years ago and resettled in New York with her English husband, Frau Wieth was ready to help both of them. I, myself, married my current husband one and a half years ago and had to remain in England. Frau Wieth intends to acquire American nationality and will very soon receive the corresponding documents.

April 1957, London (gez.) Leoyliex Stern-Abraham

Text from page1

EW 3 2816-2830

1. Index Number: P III d.No. 540

2. Title of Document: Experiences in Lemberg.

3. Date: June, 1941 - 1955.

4. Number of Pages: 15.

Language: German.

5. Author or Source: JULIA (MARIA) ABRAHAM - STERN, London

6. Recorded by: Mrs. Håkonsson, London

7. Received: April, 1957.

8. Form and Contents: Interview.

RUSSIAN occupation army in LEMBERG during the first two years of the war. They behaved irreproachably; likewise, when they returned to Lemberg, later. Reasons for sending Polish Jews to SIBERIA (p.1).

When the Germans arrived, in June, 1941, persecutions began immediately with the help of UKRAINIANS and POLES. Forced labour, no wages, no food, ill-treatment (p.2). From Spring 1942, constant transports to the gas-chambers of BELZEC; STAMPS on identity cards (p.2,3). AKTIONEN (p.2-6). - MURDER of 40.000 Jews (p.4).

The Ghetto (p.4-9). - NON-JEWS HELPING JEWS: Irmgard Wieth from Strassburg (p.4-15); manager of fur factory bribed Gestapo - in vain- in order to rescue his Jewish workers (p.6,7).

Gay MUSIC for the morituri (p.6). - Suicide of the author's mother (p.7,8). The Ghetto hospital a horror (p.8). Liquidation of the Ghetto; voluntary removal to the KZ.

Mrs. Stern together with her little daughter and a Jewish couple were hidden by Mrs. Wieth in her small flat; great difficulties, dangers and agitations (p.9-13). - The GREEK-ORTHODOX Metropolit SZEPTYCKI - under his protection lived sixty Jews - and the Abbess of an UKRAINIAN CONVENT came to the rescue, when Mrs. Wieth had to leave Lemberg (p.13,14). - Christening in the convent.

After the war, Mrs. Stern and her daughter went to England. Later, they helped Mrs. Wieth to get to U.S.A.

Text from page2

Interview mit FrauJulia (Maria) Stern - Abraham , London

Erlebnisse in Lemberg und im dortigen Ghetto während der deutschen Okkupation - Rettung durch eine deutsche Beamtin und einukrainischesKloster.

Vor dem Kriege lebte ich mit meinen Mann und meinen beiden Kindern in Krakau in Polen. Mein Mann war Bankdirektor und ich selber hatte in meiner Jugend schneidern gelernt und hatte einen Modesalon, der sehr gut ging.

Ich hatte in meiner Jugend darauf bestanden, einen Beruf zu erlernen und hatte mich als Schneiderin ausgebildet. Ich war nämlich eifrige Zionistin und wollte nach Israel auswandern. Dazu brauchte ich aber einen praktischen Beruf. Meine Eltern waren aber sehr dagegen, Sie waren keine Zionisten. Sie waren auch nicht übermässig fromme Juden, sondern das, was ich als gute Juden bezeichnen möchte. Ich hatte also eine Berufsfachschule besucht und alles gelernt, was zum Schneidern gehört, und später war ich sogar einige Jahre als Lehrerin an eben dieser Fachschule tätig. - Dieser Beruf sollte mir dann während der Okkupation sehr grosse Dienste leisten.

Einen Tag vor Ausbruch des Krieges hatten wir Krakau verlassen, um nach Lemberg überzusiedeln, wo meine Eltern lebten. Dort blieb ich sodann bis Ende des Krieges.

Während der ersten zwei Kriegsjahre gehörte Lemberg in das russische Okkupationsgebiet. D.h., wir waren von den Russen okkupiert. Es geschah uns in dieser Zeit nichts und ich muss ausdrücklich sagen, dass die Russen sich tadellos benahmen. Wir konnten unsern Berufen nachgehen, mein Mann hatte wieder eine Arbeit an einer Bank und ich schneiderte. Unsere Kinder, eine Tochter von 9 Jahren und ein Sohn von 5 besuchten die Schule. Abgesehen davon, dass Krieg war, dass wir von einer fremden Armee besetzt waren, und dass wir die Russen als Eindringlinge und Feinde nicht liebten, störte nichts unsere Existenz.

Es sind seinerzeit in der Russenzeit sehr viele polnische Juden von den Russen nach Sibirien verschleppt worden. Das waren aber solche Juden, die darum eingekommen waren, über die Grenze und nach der besetzen deutschen Zone gehen zu dürfen, oder versucht hatten, illegal die Zonengrenze zu überschreiten. Sie wurden von den Russen als unzuverlässig nach Sibirien deportiert. Da wir nicht darum eingekommen waren, nach dem deutsch besetzten Polen auswandern zu dürfen, wurden wir ganz unbehelligt gelassen. Man gab uns russische Pässe, das ist alles.

Wenn ich jetzt bedenke, was wir später unter den Deutschen erlebten und durchzumachen hatten, kann ich nur sagen, dass uns damals nicht klar war, dass die Russen sich tatsächlich wie Engel benommen haben.

Text from page3

Im Juni 1941 kamen die Deutschen. Und die Judenverfolgungen begannen sofort. Dies wäre nicht möglich gewesen, wenn die ukrainische und polnische Bevölkerung nicht mit den Deutschen zusammengegangen wären. Hätten sie dies nicht getan, wären die Deutschen gezwungen gewesen erstmal zu untersuchen, wer Jude war und wo sie wohnten. Die Ukrainer und Polen wussten dies und informierten die deutsche Besatzung sofort, sodass Morde und Verfolgungen gar nicht auf sich warten liessen.

Sofort nach Einzug der Deutschen wurden die Juden in sogenannte Arbeitslager beordert, wo die Verteilung sogenannter Arbeit begann. Dazu gehörte also z.B. für Frauen das Reinemachen in den Kasernen. Mütter konnten damals ihre Töchter zu dieser Arbeit mitnehmen, und Väter ihre Söhne .Mein Mann hatte sich als Tischler gemeldet, weil damals unter den Juden behauptet wurde, Juden mit praktischen Berufen würden nicht deportiert werden. So nahm ich meine Tochter und mein Mann unsern kleinen Sohn zur Arbeit mit. Das Arbeiten ging nie ohne Verprügelung und Brutalitäten ab. Wir bekamen keinen Lohn und nichts zu essen. Um uns am Leben zu erhalten, verkauften wir heimlich Schmucksachen und andere Sachen unserer Eltern. Dies war zwar strengstens verboten, aber christliche Polinnen riskierten die Strafen, weil sie auf diese Weise für ein Spottgeld die schönsten Dinge kaufen konnten. Für dieses Geld kauften wir schwarz Lebensmittel, auch das war natürlich strengstens verboten.

Im Frühjahr 1942 begannen die sogenannten Umsiedelungen, und niemand wusste, dass es sich dabei um Abtransporte in die Gaskammern von BELZEC handelte. Dorthin kamen damals 15-20 000 Juden mit Kindern. Auch ich war mit meinem Mann und den Kindern in die Schule, die als Auffanglager diente, eingesperr worden, und wir warteten auf den Abtransport. Durch irgendeinen nie völlig aufgeklärten Zufall wurden wir aber durch den Ältestenrat der Juden wieder aus der Schule herausgeholt und in unsere von der Gestapo bereits abgesperrte Wohnung zurückgeschickt. Wir waren einen Tag und eine Nacht im Auffanglager gewesen. Unsere Eltern, die in einem andern Teil von Lemberg wohnten, waren diesmal unbehelligt geblieben. Wir beschlossen, von nun an unsere Kinder nie mehr allein auf die Strasse zu schicken.

Im August 1942 fand die erste sehr grosse Aktion statt. Damals brachte die SS auf den Legitimationskarten der Juden besondere Stempel an. Es hiess, wer solche Stempel auf seiner Karte hat, soll nicht umgesiedelt werden. Mein Mann hatte einen solchen Stempel erhalten und fühlte sich darum sehr sicher. Ich hatte keinen Stempel. Darum beschlossen wir, dass er die Kinder zu sich nahm, und ich ein Versteck suchen sollte.

Wir glaubten an, und man sprach auch immer noch von Umsiedelung, nie von Töten. Unaufhörlich, bei Tage und vor allem in der Nacht gingen Züge mit Judentransporten. - Ich kann seitdem das Geräusch

Text from page4
von fahrenden Zügen nicht ertragen. - Wir haben dann später erfahren, dass ein Teil der Transporte direkt nach Belzec ging. Nur die jüngeren Leute wurden erst in verschiedene KZ-Arbeitslager deportiert, wo sie langsam umgebracht wurden.

Wir suchten nach einem Versteck für mich und fanden eins im Nebenhaus. Dort hatte eine Jüdin einen Hutladen, der natürlich schon längst aufgehört hatte als Laden zu dienen, und in diesem abgeschlossenen Laden wohnte die Besitzerin mit ihrer Schwägerin und ihrer Nichte. Ich bat sie, mich auch in diesem Laden verstecken zu dürfen. Ein besseres Versteck konnten wir uns nicht denken. Die Besitzerin wollte nicht, dass ich die Kinder mitnehme, und da wir nicht glaubten, dass meinem Mann und den Kindern etwas geschehen könnte, wurde vereinbart, dass ich in den Laden übersiedele, und dass mein Mann jeden Morgen, bevor er zur Arbeit ging, meine Tochter mit dem Essen für mich im Laden abgeben sollte. Abends holte er sie dann wieder ab.

Ich verbrachte damals die ganzen Tage am Schlüsselloch der verschlossenen Ladentür und beobachtete, was auf der Strasse passierte. Ich sah jeden Morgen wie mein Mann mit dem Jungen zur Arbeit ging, und sah sie abends zurückkommen. Ich sah auch die Gestapo und die Fortführung von Juden.

Am Nachmittag des 5. August - es war der fünfte Tag der Aktion - kam ein Bruder der Frau, die mich versteckte, und sagte : Heute ist es schrecklich. Heute nimmt man die Kinder.

Ich bekam einen furchtbaren Schrecken und flehte den Bruder an zu versuchen, meinem Mann eine Nachricht von mir zu bringen, er sollte das Kind verstecken. Aber es war schon zu spät.

Von meinem Schlüsselloch aus konnte ich nur sehen, was sich direkt vor dem Haus ereignete. Und als ich die Gestapo hörte und sie Vorbeigehen sah, wusste ich nicht, dass sie ins Nebenhaus ging. Wir hörten im Laden wie ein SS—Mann die Hausmeisterin um den Schlüssel zum Laden bat. Die Hausmeisterin hatte den Schlüssel nicht, aber eine Nachbarin sagte, sie hätte einen und ging ihn holen. Der SS-Mann steckte ihn ins Schloss der Tür, die in unser Versteck führte, aber das Schloss funktionierte nicht ordentlich. Wir standen alle wie gelähmt vor Angst. Er rüttelte an der Tür und drückte die Klinke herauf und herunter, aber die Tür öffnete sich nicht. Ein Tritt mit dem Stiefel hätte genügt, sie einzustossen. Aber das geschah nicht. Der SS-Mann machte kehrt und ging, ohne sie zu öffnen.

Wir waren noch alle wie benommen. Da hörte ich, wie vor dem Nebenhaus auf der Strasse ein kleines Mädchen laut zur Hausmeisterin sagte: Aus unserm Haus nahmen sie Herrn "Stern und den kleinen Uri. Und da die Hausmeisterin schwerhörig war, wiederholte es noch einmal den Satz lauter.

So erfuhr ich, dass sie meinen Mann und das Kind genommen hatten.

Text from page5

Ich habe nie wieder von ihnen gehört. - Als es dunkel wurde, wollte ich auf die Strasse hinaus, sie suchen. Die jüdische Ladenbesitzerin war sehr freundlich. Die Schwägerin und die Nichte waren während der Affäre mit dem SS-Mann an der Tür in Ohnmacht gefallen. Sie sind jetzt alle tot. Ich bin damals 14 Tage lang in den Strassen herumgelaufen, und habe versucht irgendetwas zu erfahren, aber es war umsonst.

Meine Eltern waren noch am Leben. Sie waren zusammen mit 120 Leuten, in einem Dachboden versteckt. In diesen Tagen haben die Deutschen 40 000 Juden umgebracht. Später wurde dann das Ghetto eröffnet. Dorthin mussten alle Juden freiwillig gehen. Es war ein sehr enges und kleines Ghetto. Wir wohnten 8 Menschen in einem ehemaligen ganz kleinen Geschäftslokal. Ich hatte dort meine Eltern bei mir, die erst dort von mir von dem Verschwinden meines Mannes und meines Kindes erfuhren.

Wir mussten alle innerhalb des Ghettos wohnen und ausserhalb des Ghettos arbeiten. Ungefähr 6 Wochen nach der Aktion bekam ich beim deutschen Wohnungsamt Arbeit als Schneiderin für die beiden Sekretärinnen. Die erste Sekretärin hiess Irmgard Wieth. Sie war etwa 30 Jahre alt und stammte aus Strassburg, wo ihr Vater Gymnasialprofessor war. Sie war ganz begeistert, eine gute Schneiderin gefunden zu haben und sprach oft mit mir. Sie erkundigte sich auch, warum ich so elend und verzweifelt aussähe. Ich erzählte ihr, was meinem Mann und meinem Kind passiert war. Darauf sagte sie : Warum haben Sie das Kind nicht versteckt?- Damals sagte ich mir zum erstenmal, dass sie ein gutmütiger Mensch sein müsste, der Mitleid fühlen konnte, und dachte bei mir, ich würde mich im Notfall vielleicht mal an sie wenden.

Wie alle deutschen Beamten hatte Frau Wieth es sehr gut im Generalgouvernement. Sie bewohnte eine hübsche und moderne Zwei-Zimmer-Wohnung, mit Küche und Bad. Sie erhielt besonders reichlich Lebensmittel und vor allem reichlich Kleidung. Dies waren Kleider, die den Juden abgenommen worden waren. Es sind diese Kleider, die ich dann für sie ändern musste.

Im November 1942 begann eine zweite Aktion. Ich befand mich in der allerersten Nacht zufällig nicht im Ghetto, aber meine Eltern und meine Tochter waren dort. Ich hatte den Tag über bei einer Polin gearbeitet, es war spät geworden, und als ich gehen wollte, hatte sie erklärt, ich sollte lieber bei ihr übernachten. Juden durften nachts nicht auf den Strassen sein. So blieb ich dort. Und ganz in der Frühe, es war noch dunkel, kam meine Tochter. Sie war aus dem Ghetto weggelaufen, da sie wusste wo ich war und wo ich gearbeitet hatte. Meine Eltern hatten sich im Ghetto versteckt. So nahm ich das Kind mit zu meiner Arbeit im Wohnungsamt. In dieser Nacht und dem darauf folgenden Tag wurden sämtliche Juden, die nicht bei der Wehrmacht angestellt waren, verhaftet. Und als ich im Wohnungsamt erschien, erklärte man mir dort: Wir dürfen Sie nicht mehr beschäftigen. Die meisten Juden, die im Wohnungsamt gearbeitet hatten, waren gar nicht gekommen, nur einige wenige, die von dem Ganzen nichts gewusst hatten, so wie ich, stellten

Text from page6
sich an diesem Morgen zur Arbeit im Wohnungsamt ein.

Ich war vollkommen ratlos. Ich war mir ganz klar darüber: wenn ich jetzt mit dem Kind ins Ghetto zurückgehe, sind wir verloren. Und da ich gar keinen andern Ausweg sah, schlich ich mich zu Frau Wieth und fragte sie, ob ich nicht wenigstens meine Tochter auf ein paar Tage zu ihr geben dürfte. Ihre erste Reaktion war grosses Erstaunen. Wie kann ich das tun?, fragte sie mich. - Ich weiss, dass Sie allein (in) Ihrer Wohnung sind sagte ich. Ich wusste, warum sie zögerte; sie war unsicher, weil in ihrem Haus nur Deutsche wohnten. Sie erklärte schliesslich, sie müsste es sich überlegen.

Ich sass den ganzen Tag im Flur im Wohnungsamt und wartete. Man wollte dort auch einige Juden für Schwarzarbeit behalten. Ab und zu kam Frau Wieth heraus, um nachzusehen, ob ich noch da sei. Die andern Juden, die auch dort sassen, fragten mich was ich tun würde. Ich hatte Angst ihnen etwas zu sagen, ich konnte ihnen auch nichts sagen. Irgendwie hatte ich das Gefühl, dass Frau Wieth mir schliesslich doch helfen würde, aber das durfte auch niemand wissen.

Gegen Abend kam Frau Wieth wieder heraus in den Flur und holte mich. Ich muss das mit meinen Kollegen besprechen, sagte sie. Warten Sie. Die Kollegen waren die zweite Sekretärin, mit der sie sehr befreundet war, und für die ich auch Kleider geändert hatte, und ein männlicher Vorgesetzter. Nach einer längeren Zeit erschien sie von neuem und sagte zu mir: Es ist gut. Nehmen Sie ihre Armbinde (mit dem Stern) ab und werfen Sie sie weg. Dann gehen sie langsam und ruhig auf die Strasse und in der Richtung zur Strassenbahnhaltestelle. Meine Freundin und der Stadtrat kommen nach und werden vor Ihnen gehen, und ich gehe hinter Ihnen.

Auf diese Weise wurden wir zu Fuss durch die ganze Stadt und in die Wohnung von Frau Wieth gebracht. Sie hatte nur Kartoffeln zum essen im Hause, weil sie selbst fast immer in der Kantine ass. Uns war das gleich, wir waren auch mit den Kartoffeln glücklich.

So blieb ich 2 Wochen mit meiner Tochter bei Frau Wieth. Ich erkundigte mich immerfort, ob die Aktion schon vorüber sei. Ich war in grosser Angst um meine Eltern, ich wusste nicht, ob sie noch lebten. Erst nach 2 Wochen liess Frau Wieth mich gehen, - ich musste ins Ghetto, um nach den Eltern zu suchen. Sie lebten beide, hatten aber geglaubt, dass meine Tochter und ich nicht mehr am Leben seien. Ich begab mich zurück in die Wohnung von Frau Wieth und erklärte ihr, dass ich unbedingt ins Ghetto zurück müsste. Ich konnte meine Eltern nicht dort allein lassen.

In der Zwischenzeit hatte man für die Juden neuen Armbinden mit dem Stern herausgegeben, mit einer Aufschrift von der Wehrmacht, einem W. Frau Wieth kannte einen jüdischen Arzt und den bat sie, ihr so eine Armbinde für mich zu verschaffen. Der jüdische Arzt war sehr erstaunt, als er hörte, dass Frau Wieth eine Jüdin bei sich versteckt hielt, und er bat sie, doch auch eine Verwandte von ihm aufzunehmen. Er bot ihr dafür sehr viel Geld an.

Text from page7

Frau Wieth kam und erzählte es uns. Sie war sehr empört. “Ich tue das nicht für Geld, erklärte sie mir. Wenn ich sie und das Kind bei mir habe, habe ich ein reines Gewissen, - aber für Geld, nein.

Sie protestierte immer wieder, wenn ich ihr sagte, ich müsste zurück ins Ghetto zu meinen Eltern. Also gut, sagte sie eines Tages. Gehen Sie, wenn Sie müssen. Aber Lilith (das war meine Tochter) bleibt bei mir. Die ist zu schade für die Gestapo. - Man wird Sie doch eines Tages erschiessen, dann adoptiere ich Lilith.

Ich bekam also die neue Armbinde mit ihrer Hilfe und begab mich zurück ins Ghetto, und meine Tochter blieb bei ihr. Aber trotz der Armbinde war meine Lage sehr kompliziert. Der Besitz der Armbinde sollte doch beweisen, dass man bei der Wehrmacht Arbeit hatte, und ich hatte keine solche Arbeit. Ich musste sie mir erst illegal beschaffen. Das tat ich sobald ich wieder im Ghetto angelangt war, und fand auch welche in einer Fabrik, wo man Pelze für die Wehrmacht nähte. Der Direktor dieser Fabrik hatte viel Verständnis für die Juden und war immer sehr gut zu ihnen. Ich durfte auch meinen Vater mit in die Fabrik nehmen. Hätte ich das nicht tun können, wäre er damals schon umgebracht worden. Er war 63 Jahre alt, ich erklärte er sei 55 und so kam er mit mir zur Arbeit in der Fabrik. Jeden Morgen verliessen wir mit einer Gruppe von 35 Juden das Ghetto, um in die Fabrik zu gehen. Die Gruppen, die zur Arbeit gingen, wurden dabei immer von einer Musikkapelle angeführt, die aus Juden bestand, und die vergnügte Melodien spielen musste. Es war jeden Morgen für mich die gleiche Qual und ich hatte das Gefühl, jeden Morgen etwas mehr die Nerven zu verlieren. Aber das war ja die Absicht der Nazis, sie trieben uns ganz systematisch zum Wahnsinn. Sie wollten unsere Nerven kaputt machen. Täglich wurden aus den Gruppen, die zur Arbeit gingen, hunderte herausgeholt und ermordet. Man wusste am Morgen, wenn man das Ghetto verliess, nie, ob man abends lebendig zurückkommen würde. So verschwanden zahllose Juden ins Nichts. Im März 1943 nahmen sie mir den Vater am Eingang zum Ghetto. Wir haben nie wieder von ihm gehört.

Jeden Samstag Abend schloss ich mich vorsichtig einer Gruppe von Juden, die zur Nachtarbeit gingen, an. Im Dunkel auf der Strasse nahm ich vorsichtig meine Armbinde ab und schlich mich davon und durch die ganze Stadt zu Frau Wieth. Dann brachte ich ihr während des Sonntags ihre Kleider in Ordnung, denn nur so konnte ich gutmachen, was sie an meiner Tochter tat. Aus irgendwelchem Grunde liebte Frau Wieth gerade meine Näharbeit, und da ihr einziges Interesse Kleider waren, nahm die Arbeit nie ein Ende. Eins ihrer Zimmer war voll mit Schränken mit Kleidungsstücken. So verbrachte ich die Sonntage bei ihr. Und jeden Montag morgen um ½4 Uhr schlich ich mich wieder weg von Frau Wieth und durch die Stadt zurück ins Ghetto,- und zwar so, dass ich mich unbeobachtet an eine Gruppe Juden anschloss, die von der Nachtarbeit zurückging ins Ghetto. Im Ghetto

Text from page8
machte ich Kehrt und ging mit einer andern Gruppe, die zur Tagesarbeit in die Fabrik ging, wieder zum Ghetto heraus. Das Ganze war natürlich sehr gefährlich und Frau Wieth sagte mir immer und immer wieder, ich würde bestimmt eines Tages von der Gestapo ertappt werden, die Strassen waren voll von Deutschen, Ukrainern und Polen, die mich wiedererkennen konnten, wenn ich auch sonst nicht auffiel, konnte mir doch jeder ansehen, dass ich sehr heruntergekommen und verhungert aussah, wie die Juden im Vergleich zu allen andern Leuten auf der Strasse.

So habe ich von Dezember 1942 bis Ende Mai 1943 jedes Wochenende zugebracht, ohne dass mir etwas zustiess.

Am 31. Mai wurde verkündet: Das Ghetto wird am 1.Juni liquidiert. Alle darin noch befindlichen Juden müssen sich freiwillig ins KZ melden.

Der Besitzer unserer Fabrik versuchte noch einmal uns Juden, die bei ihm gearbeitet hatten, zu helfen, sodass wir nicht ins KZ brauchten. Er verhandelte mit der Gestapo und erklärte, dass wir 35 Juden bei ihm in der Fabrik wohnen könnten. Er versprach den Gestapoleuten, dass er jedem von ihnen einen besonders guten Ledermantel illegal anfertigen würde und die Gestapo ging auch darauf ein. Nachdem sie aber ihre Mäntel erhalten hatten, bestanden sie dann doch darauf, die Juden müssten die Fabrik verlassen und ins KZ.

Als ich das Ghetto verlassen hatte, um in die Fabrik überzusiedeln, hatte man mir nicht erlaubt meine Mutter mitzunehmen. Sie hatte Typhus gehabt und Lungenentzündung und war sehr schwach, hatte aber doch beides überstanden. So hatte ich sie nachts aus dem Ghetto in die Fabrik geschmuggelt. Und nun sollten wir plötzlich doch ins KZ und der Direktor wurde beordert uns alle selber ins KZ zu expedieren.

Ich wusste weder ein noch aus. Ich wusste, wenn ich mich jetzt verstecke, kann ich mich vielleicht in der Nacht zu Frau Wieth retten. Aber das würde heissen, dass ich meine Mutter allein ins KZ gehen liess, und das konnte ich nicht übers Herz bringen. Sie mit zu Frau Wieth zu nehmen, war unmöglich, der Weg war viel zu weit und sie viel zu schwach. Ich sprach mit dem Direktor der Fabrik und flehte ihn an, uns doch irgendwie zu helfen. Ich befand mich in dem Büro des Direktors während dieser Unterhaltung, und meine Mutter war irgendwo in einem der Fabriksräume. Sie muss aber gefühlt haben, was in mir vorging. Ich hörte plötzlich einen grossen Lärm und Unruhe im Hof, dann kam jemand zu mir gelaufen: Deine Mutter hat sich aus dem Fenster gestürzt. Erst habe ich es garnicht erfasst, ich redete weiter mit dem Direktor, bis man wieder gelaufen kam und mich rief. Diesmal begriff ich. Ich rannte die Treppe hinunter in den Hof. Ich fand meine Mutter in einem Meer von Blut, das eine Auge ausgelaufen und die Schädeldecke kaputt - aber bei voller Besinnung.

Text from page9

Ich rief wie verrückt nach der Rettungsgesellschaft, ich hatte in meiner Aufregung ganz vergessen, dass die Juden kein Recht hatten, die Rettungsgesellschaft in Anspruch zu nehmen. Ich rief also dort an und bat man sollte sofort kommen. Als die Zeit verging und niemand erschien, lief ich um zu fragen, warum denn Keiner kommt. Da sagte man mir: Die Rettungsgesellschaft ist hier gewesen, aber wieder abgefahren, als man sagte, dass es sich um eine Jüdin handelt.

Inzwischen hatte der Direktor den Wagen bereitgestellt, auf dem seine Gruppe von Juden ins KZ abtransportiert werden sollte. Auf meine Bitten liess er eine Bahre hineinstellen, auf die man meine Mutter gelegt hatte. Und der Direktor befahl, dass man uns erst zum Ghetto bringen sollte, zum Ghetto-Hospital, und dort abliefern. Dann sollten die übrigen weiter zum KZ gefahren werden. Dieser Umstand hat mir das Leben gerettet.

Ich wusste, dass das Ghetto am folgenden Tag angezündet werden sollte. Und ich wusste auch, dass meine Mutter wie wir alle immer grosse Angst vor dem Ghetto Hospital hatten, weil man dort sehr brutal war, und man die Kranken, die nicht zu retten waren, aus dem Fenster zu werfen pflegte.

So sass ich auf dem Wagen neben meiner Mutter, die auch weiter bei vollem Bewusstsein war, trotzdem das Blut unaufhörlich aus ihren Wunden strömte. Ich muss Dich ins Ghetto-Hospital bringen, sagte ich zu ihr. Hast Du Angst? Sie antwortete: Ich habe keine Angst...

Ich war mir vollkommen klar darüber: meine Mutter hat versucht sich umzubringen, um mich von ihr zu befreien, sodass ich frei war zu meinem Kind zu gehen, und zu versuchen, uns zu retten.

Als wir im Hospital ankamen, trugen wir meine Mutter hinein und stellten die Bahre in einen Baderaum. Alle Juden, die noch zum Hospital gehört hatten, waren dabei es zu verlassen. Alle fragten mich, ob ich wahnsinnig sei mit meiner Mutter dorthin zurückzukommen. Im Hospital fand ich noch einen Arzt und keine Kranken. Man hatte sie alle in den letzten Tagen ermordet. Irgendjemand versuchte, meine Mutter aus dem immer strömenden Blut herauszuheben. Ich bat den Arzt ihr zu helfen. Er fuhr mich an: er hatte keine Medikamente und nichts mehr. Ich bat ihn trotzdem immer wieder. Juden liefen hin und her aus dem Lager heraus. Ich sah noch einmal in den Raum, wo meine Mutter lag. Sie sagte: Gehe mit Gott: - Ich bleibe mit Gott. -

Ich schloss die Tür und suchte noch einmal den Arzt. Ich besass noch 200 Zloty, die ich auf mir versteckt hatte. Die gab ich ihm. Hier haben Sie, Doktor, und ich bat ihn ein letzten Mal meiner Mutter irgendetwas zu geben, irgendetwas, das schnell wirkte. Er

Text from page10
versprach es schliesslich, - ob er es tat, werde ich niemals wissen.

Dann lief ich hinunter und aus dem Hospital und schloss mich an eine Gruppe von Juden an, die das Ghetto verliessen um ins KZ zu gehen. Ich lief wie ein Automat nebenher. Ich war ganz verrückt, dachte gar nicht und lief ganz benommen und verzweifelt. Ich dachte nicht einen Augenblick daran, meine Armbinde abzunehmen und zu versuchen zu meinem Kind zu kommen. Durch einen Zufall lief ich die ganze Zeit neben einer jungen Verwandten von mir, einer Kusine. Sie redete ununterbrochen auf mich ein aber ich hörte gar nicht hin und lief weiter. Aber sie gab nicht nach. Immer von neuem sagte: Geh weg. Du musst zu deinem Kind. Lauf rasch. Geh. Immer noch reagierte ich nicht, und meine Kusine redete weiter auf mich ein: Du musst gehen. Rasch, sonst ist es zu spät.

Ich kann es nicht erklären, wie es plötzlich kam, und wie ich, als wir uns ganz kurz vor dem Tor zum KZ befanden, wieder ganz automatisch den Impuls hatte, vorsichtig meine Armbinde abzustreifen, und in der Lasche verschwinden zu lassen. Ebenso automatisch machte ich mich von der Gruppe los, die weiter ging. Vor dem Tor zum KZ standen die Polen und Ukrainer und sahen voller Interesse zu, wie die Juden allein, ohne irgendwelche Bewachung, freiwillig sich ins KZ begaben, in den Tod....

Ich weiss auch nicht, wie ich noch einmal unbehelligt in das Haus und die Wohnung von Frau Wieth gelangte. - Frau Wieth hatte ein paar Wochen früher ein jüdisches Ehepaar bei sich aufgenommen. Und als ich nun bei ihr eintraf und sie bat, bei ihr bleiben zu dürfen, waren wir 4 Menschen, die sie versteckt hielt. Das war im Juni 1943.

Die Situation war sehr kompliziert, sowohl für Frau Wieth wie für uns. Es war uns entsetzlich ausser unserer eigenen Not, uns klar sein zu müssen, was Frau Wieth riskierte, um uns zu retten. Auch mussten wir essen, und wir wollten Frau Wieth auf gar keinen Fall auch noch mit solchen Problemen belasten. Darum verkleidete ich mich als Bäuerin vom Lande, barfuss, und schlich mich aus dem Haus um etwas zum essen zu beschaffen. Es war nur wenig, denn alles kam vom schwarzen Markt, da wir keine Lebensmittelkarten hatten. - In dem Haus wohnten nur Deutsche, die natürlich alle wussten, dass Frau Wieth den ganzen Tag im Wohnungsamt arbeitete, und dass also die Wohnung den Tag über leer stand. Wir wagten kaum aufzutreten. So verging eine Zeit, während der Frau Wieth und wir immer nervöser wurden.

Und dann erhielt Frau Wieth plötzlich eines Tages ein Telegramm aus Amsterdam, von einem alten Freund von ihr, der ihr mitteilte, er hätte 2 Wochen Urlaub und würde kommen und sie besuchen. Frau Wieth war ganz ausser sich und erklärte, wir müssten verschwinden. Gut, sagte ich. Ich sah ihre schreckliche Nervosität und wollte sie zunächst beruhigen. Ich werde versuchen

Text from page11
eine Unterkunft für uns zu finden. Es war mir aber ganz unmöglich.

Das jüdische Ehepaar - der Mann war Apotheker - besass Zyankali. Er schlug mir vor, das Gift mit uns zu teilen, damit wir uns alle vergiften könnten. Und ich sagte Frau Wieth, sie sollte unbesorgt sein, wir würden ihre Wohnung verlassen und uns irgendwohin begeben, um Selbstmord zu begehen. Frau Wieth protestierte heftig. Ihr wisst ja nicht, wohin. Auch hatte sie Angst.

Wir setzten uns zusammen und machten einen Plan. Die Speisekammer neben der Küche wurde ausgeräumt. Und von nun ab sperrten wir uns immer darin ein, wenn Frau Wieth Besuch hatte. Früher waren wir immer in der Küche geblieben, wo doch niemand hinkam. Ausserdem wurde beschlossen, dass während des Besuches von Frau Wieth Freund aus Amsterdam, der Apotheker und meine Tochter in die Speisekammer eingesperrt werden würden. Die Frau des Apothekers würde offen von Frau Wieth als ihre Köchin ausgegeben, die auch dort wohnte. Und ich würde als die Schneiderin gehen, die tagsüber zu Frau Wieth kam um zu arbeiten und abends nach Hause ging. Ich musste so tun, als ob ich wegginge. Diese Rollen haben wir dann auch gespielt. Die Köchin wohnte offiziell bei Frau Wieth und schlief in der Küche. Auf diese Weise konnte der Freund dann nicht abends in die Küche gehen. Und ich sagte jeden Abend laut adieu, Frau Wieth begleitete mich bis an die Wohnungstür, und während sie diese laut auf und zu machte und so tat als ob sie weiter mit mir redete, schlich ich auf Zehenspitzen zurück in die Küche. Wir schliefen alle vier in der Küche auf dem Fussboden. D.h. in Wirklichkeit schliefen wir nicht viel. Wir waren immer füreinander unruhig, dass einer von uns irgendeinen verdächtigen Lärm machen könnte, im Schlaf reden oder gar schnarchen, und darum passten wir immer während aufeinander auf.

Tagsüber ging Frau Wieth wie immer zu ihrer Arbeit im Wohnungsamt. Und der Freund blieb zuhause. Er kam dann immerfort in die Küche, um sich mit uns zu unterhalten. Der Apotheker und mein Kind sassen am Boden in der Speisekammer, ich hatte einen grossen Tisch vor die Tür zur Speisekammer gestellt und breitete dort meine Näharbeit aus. Ich sprach wenig und wenn ich sprach nur sehr wenig und schlechtes Deutsch. Ich tat immer, als ob ich nicht verstände, was der Freund redete. Er redete stundenlang und hielt uns lange Vorträge über den Krieg und die zunehmenden Bombardements der Engländer. Manchmal verliess ich die Küche und tat, als ob ich irgendetwas in einem der Zimmer zu tun hätte,- dann rief ich ihn, um mir bei irgendeiner rasch ausgedachten Arbeit dort zu helfen, und um ihn so aus der Küche heraus zu bringen.

Da wir alle uns immer nur im Flüsterton unterhielten, hatte auch Frau Wieth sich daran gewöhnt, immer nur zu flüstern, wenn sie zuhause war. Das war dem Freund aufgefallen. Er konnte es nicht begreifen, oft fuhr er sie deswegen an. Oder er kam zu mir heraus in

Text from page12
die Küche, um mich zu fragen, ob ich verstehen könnte, warum Frau Wieth so komisch flüsterte. Und warum sie so entsetzlich nervös sei. Ich blieb immer dabei, dass ich ihn kaum verstehen konnte und gab ihm in meinem gebrochenen Deutsch alle möglichen Gründe. So gingen die 2 Wochen schliesslich zu Ende und er reiste wieder zurück nach Amsterdam. Und wir waren wieder allein.

Ein neues Problem tauchte auf, als Frau Wieth zwei Wochen auf Urlaub zu ihrer Mutter fahren sollte. Diesmal musste sie uns allein in der Wohnung zurücklassen. Es blieb nichts anderes übrig als uns einzuschliessen, solange sie fort war. Wir konnten uns so gut wie gar nicht rühren, denn die Wohnung war ja offiziell leer. Das Kind durfte nicht niesen, wir durften nicht die Kette in der Toilette ziehen... Aber auch diesmal ging alles gut und als Frau Wieth vom Urlaub zurückkam, war alles in Ordnung.

Aber Frau Wieth wurde immer unruhiger und immer nervöser. Wir taten, was wir nur konnten, um sie zu beruhigen, aber viel war das schliesslich nicht, da ja gerade wir die Ursache ihrer Unruhe waren. Wir verwöhnten sie, lasen ihr jeden Wunsch von den Augen ab und benahmen uns fast wie Sklaven, um sie zu bedienen und ihr behilflich zu sein. - Inzwischen hatte sie sich mit einem Wehrmachtsoffizier angefreundet, der sie oft besuchte. Er blieb aber immer in den vorderen Zimmern und kam nie in die Küchenräume.

Auf irgendeine unerklärliche Weise hatte der Freund in Amsterdam von dieser Freundschaft mit dem Wehrmachtsoffizier erfahren. Und so kam er eines Tages in wilder Eifersucht aus Amsterdam angereist, ohne vorher seine Ankunft mitzuteilen. Er läutete Sturm an der Wohnungstür, wir erstarrten alle vor Schreck, denn wir glaubten, es sei die Gestapo. Wir vier verschwanden rasch in der Speisekammer, die wir hinter uns abschlossen. Frau Wieth ging langsam an die Tür, um uns Zeit zum Verschwinden zu geben. Der Mann stürzte herein und lief sofort wie ein Wilder in der Wohnung herum, aber nicht auf der Suche nach uns, wie wir gedacht hatten, sondern auf der Suche nach dem vermeintlichen Nebenbuhler. Er rüttelte an der Tür der Speisekammer und sah sogar durchs Schlüsselloch, um zu sehen ob der Nebenbuhler sich etwa dort versteckt hatte und - sah uns nicht. Es gab einen schrecklichen Auftritt, aber schliesslich gelang es Frau Wieth doch ihn zu beruhigen. Er hatte ja auch wirklich niemand gefunden. Und so fuhr er wieder ab.

Diesmal waren nicht nur wir mehr tot als lebendig, als wir wieder allein waren. Frau Wieth war wie von Sinnen, sie war vollkommen ausser sich und wollte Selbstmord begehen. Und wir waren verzweifelt, weil wir ja die Schuld hatten an ihrem Zustand und nicht nur um unser eignes Leben zitterten, sondern auch um Frau Wieth. Es wurde immer komplizierter für uns sie zu beruhigen. Jedesmal, wenn jemand an der Haustür läutete, glaubte sie, es sei die Gestapo, sie wollte die Tür überhaupt nicht mehr öffnen, und es wurde immer schwerer sie

Text from page13
zu überreden, nicht den Kopf zu verlieren.

Der Freund aus Amsterdam gab aber keine Ruhe. Er hatte sich mit Frau Wieths Freundin aus dem Wohnungsamt in Verbindung gesetzt, der zweiten Sekretärin, für die ich anfangs auch genäht hatte, und die seinerzeit, zusammen mit dem Stadtrat, von Frau Wieth um Rat befragt worden war, ob sie meine Tochter und mich bei sich aufnehmen sollte; und die dann schliesslich auch behilflich gewesen war, meine Tochter und mich in die Wohnung der Frau Wieth zu begleiten.

Diese Kollegin und Freundin von Frau Wieth hatte ihm also unter anderm berichtet, dass Frau Wieth das Kind und mich seinerzeit beherbergt hatte. Und so erschien er wieder eines Tages vollkommen überraschend, und kaum, dass sie die Tür geöffnet hatte, begann er sie zu schlagen und brüllte dabei: Ich weiss Alles: - Du hast eine Jüdin und ihr Kind hier versteckt gehabt. - Du wirst in 8 Tagen das Generalgouvernement verlassen, sonst zeige ich Dich an.....

Frau Wieth begann zu weinen und überredete ihn schliesslich, mit ihr ins Zimmer zu kommen, und nicht im Flur zu bleiben, wo alle Mitbewohner hören konnten, was er sagte. Im Zimmer ging die Auseinandersetzung dann stundenlang weiter, während wir angsterfüllt in der Speisekammer hockten. Und schliesslich ging er wieder weg.

Von nun an, bis zum März 1944 lebten wir vier fast ausschliesslich in der Speisekammer. - Und dann bekam Frau Wieth Order Lemberg zu verlassen. Die Deutschen lösten vor den herannahenden Russen die Verwaltung des Generalgouvernements auf und Frau Wieth sollte mit der übrigen Beamtenschaft zurück nach Deutschland. Nun galt es also für uns alle vier definitiv ein anderes Versteck ausfindig zu machen.

Das jüdische Ehepaar, das mit uns versteckt war, hatte Beziehungen mit dem griechisch-orthodoxen, also dem ukrainischen Kloster in Lemberg, und mit dem Metropoliten Szeptycki, der schon etwa 60 Juden bei sich und in andern Klöstern versteckt hielt. Dabei handelte es sich vor allem um Rabbinerfamilien. Der Apotheker kannte diese und hatte seinen Sohn dort mit versteckt. Er und seine Frau wandten sich also nun an Szeptycki mit der Bitte um Hilfe. Und Frau Wieth hatte darauf bestanden, dass sie dem Metropoliten die volle Wahrheit sagen sollten: sie müssten ihm klar machen, dass sie zusammen mit uns bei Frau Wieth versteckt gewesen wären, und dass Frau Wieth ihn sehr bitten liess, dass er uns alle vier zu sich nähme. Anfangs bat sie darum, später insistierte sie. Ich wusste aber von Anfang an, dass dies sehr schwierig sein würde. Um in ein ukrainisches Kloster aufgenommen zu werden, musste man über sehr gute Beziehungen und Empfehlungen verfügen. Das Ehepaar besass solche, mit dem Metropoliten sowohl als auch mit diversen Klöstern, die ihm unterstellt waren. Sie hatten nicht nur Empfehlungen, sondern auch Papiere,- ich aber besass weder das eine noch das andere.

Text from page14

Darum sagte ich dem Apotheker, er sollte zunächst Alles tun, um sich und seine Frau zu retten. Ich glaubte nicht einen Augenblick daran, dass es für mich dort die geringste Chance gäbe. Ich bat ihn nur, er möge ganz am Schluss, wenn es ihm gelungen war für sich und seine Frau ein Obdach zu finden, auch von meiner Tochter und mir reden.

Trotz seiner Verbindungen mit dem Kloster hatte das Ehepaar die allergrössten Schwierigkeiten akzeptiert zu werden und die Verhandlungen gingen wochenlang hin und her. Ich hatte keine Ahnung, was aus mir und meinem Kind werden sollte und es war sehr schlimm, denn Frau Wieth musste inzwischen damit beginnen, ihre Sachen einzupacken. Ich dachte damals immer, was für ein Glück es doch war, dass wir das Zyankali hatten. Und dann geschah wieder ein Wunder: das Ehepaar hatte schliesslich doch den Metropoliten dazu überredet, sie aufzunehmen. Und 24 Stunden genau, bevor sie unser Haus verlassen wollten, ging die Äbtissin des Klosters, in dem die Frau aufgenommen werden sollte, darauf ein, auch meine Tochter und mich zu nehmen. Allerdings bestand sie darauf, wir müssten ebenfalls innerhalb von 24 Stunden in das Kloster übersiedeln. Das war schwierig für mich, da ich Frau Wieth versprochen hatte, bis zu ihrer Abreise bei ihr zu bleiben und ihr zu helfen. So blieb mir nichts anderes übrig als am nächsten Tag vor 11 Uhr mittags mein Kind ins Kloster zu bringen. Dort erklärte ich der Äbtissin, warum ich wieder zu Frau Wieth müsste und begab mich dann zurück in die Wohnung. Ich half ihr packen und brachte sie sogar an den Zug. Dann ging auch ich ins Kloster.

Ich konnte zwar kein ukrainisch sprechen, aber man war doch sehr gut zu uns. Meine Tochter kam in ein Waisenhaus, das dem Kloster angeschlossen war. Und wieder war man glücklich, dass ich nähen konnte. Ich bekam sofort eine Nähmaschine und einen Haufen mit Näharbeit. So habe ich bis zum Ende des Krieges für die Waisenkinder genäht. Wir bekamen auch gut und reichlich zu essen und begannen tatsächlich uns körperlich etwas zu erholen.

So ging eine längere Zeit, bis ich anfing zu merken, dass die Äbtissin plötzlich weniger freundlich zu mir war, als am Anfang. Schliesslich sagte mir einer Tages eine Jüdin, die auch versteckt im Kloster lebte, so wie nebenbei: Die Äbtissin will Dich nicht länger bei sich behalten, weil Du Dich nicht taufen lässt. Ich war sehr erschrocken, daran hatte ich überhaupt nicht gedacht. Es wurde mir dann erklärt, dass das von den Klostervorstehern immer erwartet wurde, ohne dass sie selber davon sprachen. Obwohl ich keineswegs das war, was man mit einer frommen Jüdin bezeichnet, hing ich doch an meinem Glauben und der Gedanke einer Taufe war mir schrecklich. Ich habe damals nächtelang nicht schlafen können, bis ich mich dazu entschlossen hatte, meine Tochter und mich taufen zu lassen. Aber die Haltung der Äbtissin wurde immer unangenehmer und so ging ich denn eines Tages zu ihr und erklärte, ich würde gern mein Kind und mich taufen lassen. Die Äbtissin war sofort voller Interesse

Text from page15
und änderte ihre Haltung im Nu. Ein Priester bekam den Auftrag meine Tochter und mich zu unterrichten. Meiner Tochter gefiel das ganz ausserordentlich, sie fand es alles wunderbar und war vollkommen glücklich und zufrieden. Mich aber liessen die seelischen Qualen auch weiterhin nicht schlafen. Und doch hatte ich keinen andern Ausweg, wenn ich dem Kind und mir das Leben retten wollte. Eines Nachts träumte mir von meinem Vater. Im Traum fragte ich ihn, was ich tun sollte. Er antwortete mir sehr ruhig: Tu es nur. Es ist das Richtige. Es gibt ja doch nur ein und denselben Gott. Danach war mir sehr viel leichter.

Eines Tages kam eine Nachricht von Frau Wieth, sie sei zurück in Lemberg und wollte, dass wir alle vier wieder zu ihr kämen. Die Äbtissin widersetzte sich dem aber ganz energisch. Die Frau des Apothekers, die sie nicht so sehr mochte, wollte sie gehen lassen, aber weder meine Tochter noch mich. So blieben wir im Kloster.

Während der Vorbereitung zur Taufe mussten wir jeden Sonntag in die Messe gehen und die Kirche befand sich in dem Bezirk, in dem wir früher gewohnt hatten, als mein Mann und der Junge noch lebten. Ich hatte immer auf dem Weg zur Kirche und zurück Angst, dass man mich erkennen würde. Ich war wieder ordentlich gekleidet und sah auch wieder gepflegt und gut ernährt aus, es war also leicht, mich wieder zu erkennen. Auch gingen viele Leute, die mich früher gekannt hatten, in diese Kirche. Und so merkte ich auch, wie mich eine Frau eines Tages erkannte, und mir nach dem Gottesdienst bis zum Kloster folgte. Ich meldete es sofort der Äbtissin und wurde noch am selben Tag ins Waisenhaus umgesiedelt.

Zu gleicher Zeit erklärte die Äbtissin der Frau des Apothekers, es sei besser, wenn sie zu Frau Wieth zurückginge, da sie sie nicht mehr im Kloster behalten könnte. Es blieb der Frau nichts anderes übrig, ich aber wurde erst abgesandt, um Frau Wieth um den Wohnungsschlüssel zu bitten. Die Ehefrau blieb später in der Wohnung von Frau Wieth auch nachdem diese wieder nach Deutschland zurückbeordert worden war, denn in dem Augenblick räumten sämtliche Deutsche das Haus und Lemberg.

Als dann die Russen kamen, benahmen sie sich genau wie am Anfang durchaus korrekt. Kein Mensch behelligte uns, wir konnten kommen und gehen, wie wir wollten. Diesmal hatten wir allerdings wirklich das Gefühl, dass sie Engel seien, die uns befreiten.

Bei meiner Taufe bekam ich den Namen Maria.

Einige Zeit nach Ende des Krieges konnte ich durch eine internationale Hilfsorganisation meine Tochter nach England schicken. Ich

Text from page16
gab ihr damals den Auftrag, sofort zu versuchen sich mit Frau Wieth in Verbindung zu setzen. Ich hatte die Adresse ihrer Eltern in Deutschland und wollte gern wissen, ob sie am Leben sei und wie es ihr ging. Es ist meiner Tochter auch gelungen, die Verbindung mit Frau Wieth herzustellen. Sie lebte, es ging ihr aber natürlich sehr schlecht. Als ich dann 1 Jahr nach meiner Tochter nach England kam, habe ich versucht Frau Wieth Lebensmittel und Kleider zu beschaffen. Dies geschah mit Hilfe einer amerikanischen Hilfsorganisation, der ich den Fall erklärte. Man begann sich für Frau Wieth zu interessieren und zunächst konnte sie uns dann eines Tages in England besuchen. Es war ein sehr aufregendes Wiedersehen. Damals erklärte Frau Wieth, sie wollte auf keinen Fall in Deutschland bleiben. Und mit Hilfe der gleichen amerikanischen Hilfsorganisation habe ich es dann auch tatsächlich durchsetzen können, dass sie nach den USA kam. Sie bekam dort eine Stellung und ist dortgeblieben. Nach Deutschland will sie nicht mehr zurück. Sie arbeitet bei einer jüdischen Familie, deren Haushalt sie leitet. Ihre Liebe für meine Tochter hat sich nicht geändert. Als meine Tochter vor 2 Jahren heiratete und mit ihrem englischen Mann nach New York übersiedelte, war Frau Wieth sofort bereit den beiden jungen Leuten zu helfen. Ich selber heiratete vor 1½ Jahren meinen jetzigen Mann und muss in England bleiben. Frau Wieth hat die Absicht die amerikanische Staatsbürgerschaft zu erwerben und wird wohl in nächster Zeit die entsprechenden Papiere erhalten.

April 1957, London (gez.)Julia Stern-Abraham


  • Updated 2 years ago
The United Kingdom declared war on Nazi Germany on 3 September 1939, after the German invasion of Poland. After the defeat of France in the spring of 1940, the British Expeditionary Force withdrew from the European Continent. Although the Channel Islands near the French coast did fall into German hands, from the summer of 1940 until 1945, mainland Britain resisted German invasion and became a refuge for many governments-in-exile and refugees of the occupied countries in Europe. At the outbrea...