Mrs. Mitzel, survival with her children in the forests of eastern Galicia


Testimony of Mitzel regarding her survival with her children in the forests of eastern Galicia.


Document Text

  1. English
  2. Yiddish
Text from page1

Protocol No. 4

Taken by – Katshikovitsh, Pinhas

Related by Mrs. MidlChortkiv, Tarnopol region

Born 1908 (October)

In 1941, when the Russian-German war broke out, my husband was mobilized into the Soviet military and I, with my two children – a daughter aged seven and a boy aged three years old – remained alone, living at home in the shtetl of Chortkiv – western Ukraine. I survived innumerable slaughters.

The first Jewish victims in our shtetl fell only a few days after the occupation of our region by the Germans. They ordered a few hundred Jewish men to gather in a square – for work. The men gathered in the square, but instead of taking them to work, they took them to prison, and later the Germans, together with the local Ukrainians, murdered them in a brutal fashion. And they buried some alive. These were the best people from our city.

A few days later, we received news from my home town – Zalishchyky – five kilometers from us, where my parents and sisters still lived, that the gestapo there had issued an order: five hundred Jews should come to clean the barracks. If they would not heed the command, they would kill all the Jews of the shtetl. The order was fulfilled and all five hundred Jews were taken to a place outside the city. They lined them

Text from page2

up ten in a row, one behind the other, and each row was shot with one bullet – obviously, from such shooting most were only wounded, and some were not even touched, but the Germans ignored this and buried them all alive. Among the victims were my father and my two younger sisters – aged eighteen and twenty years old.

In March 1942, they carried out among us in the shtetl the first formal slaughter. And immediately after this they ordered us to move into the ghetto. I went to the ghetto with my children. The conditions there were terrible, but they did not allow us to stay for long in one place. After only six weeks they sent me (together with my children), along with a group of women, to Zalischyky .

After laboring three months in Zalischyky, in September 1942 an order arrived that the camp there must be free of Jews [Judenrein]. Then they sent us to Tovste (Toist). Tovste was an assembly point for the murder of Jews. And we arrived here exactly as they were carrying out an extermination-aktion. I managed to hide, together with my children. We did not rest for long: in a few weeks’ time – it was exactly one day after Simchat Torah – there once again took place here a slaughter, during which over 2,000 Jews were killed. The panic in the city was terrible, because no one had imagined that so quickly, after such a short breathing space, another slaughter would take pace. I hid in a cellar, together with my children and another seven people, altogether there were ten of us.

Text from page3

That winter we remained in Tovste. In the beginning of May 1943, there again took place here a great slaughter. My family, the three of us, hid in an attack and thus survived. Lying here a few days, my younger child seemed to understand the situation and did not even ask for water.

During the time in the attic we heard heart-rending cries, screams, and calls for help. Many of the victims fled, but the local population – the Ukrainians – chased after them, beat them, and later murdered them in a terrible fashion. Those few Jews who remained alive, in hiding, were later sorted: the older people [word missing] were sent to Chortkiv and the younger to the camps. Together with my family, I stole out from the camp and night and alone we set out for Lysivtsi, seven kilometers from Tovste. For six weeks it was calm and then they again began a Jewish-aktion. We fled from the city with a group of people, but we were noticed by the Germans and they immediately opened fire on us with machine guns. Straight away there were 32 victims from our group. Among them was my mother. My daughter was hit by a bullet in her foot, but we were already in the field. We hid among the crops until nightfall. At night, with great effort, we returned to Tovste. The first medical help that my daughter received was from Doctor Greenberg. And only thanks to the doctor’s extraordinary efforts was it possible to save the foot – she only lost her toes.

Text from page4

Later, when the situation in Tovste was again in a state of tension – we once more left for Lysivtsi. In Lysivtsi there was still a camp of 200 Jews, who worked at agricultural labor – the men in the stables and the women in the fields. We received food once per day. The Ukrainian police would very often fall upon our camp and murder whoever fell into their hands. Likewise due to the hunger and terrible living conditions a typhus epidemic broke out – here the Ukrainians did not take care of the sick1Note 1 : Word missing. and anyone who became ill was immediately murdered.

No one reacted to all of this, because the law was to beat the Jews. March 1, 1944, when the Soviet Armies advanced, the Germans and Ukrainians together with the Vlasovites became completely wild and dealt out murder right and left.

They caught a Jewish woman from Vienna – Mali – with her son and shot2Note 2 : Should be "slaughtered" them. A woman – Shechter – from the shtetl – Igolnitz – they cut off her ears and nose and afterwards murdered her. A young man from TovsteIsaiah Rozenstokthey cut off his head; another young man from TovsteVoltshe Malier – they tied him to a horse and murdered him together with the horse, they stabbed another middle aged Jew from Tovste with a bayonet. A Hungarian Jewish doctor managed to save the last of these.

Text from page5

The few Jews who remained alive – around two hundred – they again gathered them in Tovste in the camp. For eight days we were watched over by a group of old GermansWehrmacht – because the young one had been called to the front.

March 23, 1944, the Soviets liberated our region. We were barley eight days with the Soviets when the Germans again renewed their attack and the shtetl once again passed to their hands.

Then, in a burning frost, starving, exhausted, naked, and barefoot, we fled for 60 kilometers to Chernivtsi. Many of us froze and were left on the way.

We remained in Chernivtsi until the end of the war.

Text from page1

פראָטאָקאָל No 4

אויפגענומען - קאַטשיקאָוויטש פנחס

דערציילט פון פרוי מידל - טשאָרטקאָוו, טאַרנאָפאָליער וואָיעוו

געבוירן: 1908 יאָר (אין 10 מאָנאַט)

אין 1941 יאָר, ווען ס'איז אויסגעבראָכן די רוסיש-דייטשישע מלחמה, איז מיין מאַן מאָביליזירט געוואָרן אין סאָוויעטישן מיליטער און איך מיט צוויי קינדער – אַ מיידל פון זיבן און אַ יינגל פון דריי יאָר – זיינען אַליין געבליבן וווינען ביי אונז אין שטעטל טשאָרטקאָוו – מערב אוקראַאינע. איבערגעלעבט האָב איך אומצייליקע שחיטות.

אין אַ פאָר טעג נאָכן אָקופירן אונזער געביט, דורך די דייטשן – זיינען שוין געווען די ערשטע יידישע קרבנות אין אונזער שטעטל. זיי האָבן באַפוילן זיף פאַרזאַמלען אויף אַ פלאַץ אַ פאָר הונדערט יידישע מענער – אויף אַרבעט. די מענער האָבן זיך אויפן פלאַץ פאַרזאַמלט, נאָר אָנשטאָט אויף אַרבעט , האָט מען זיי אָפגפירט אין תפיסה און שפעטער האָבן די דייטשן צוזאַמען מיט די היגע אוקראאַינער – זיי דערמאָרדעט אויף אַן אַכזריותדיקן אופן. און טייל נאָך לעבעדיקערהייט באַגראָבן. געווען זיינען עס די בעסטע מענטשן פון אונזער שטאָט.

אין אַ פאָר טעג אַרום האָבן מיר דערהאַלטן אַ ידיעה פון מיין געבורטס-שטאָט – זאַליעשטשיקי – פינף קלמ. פון אונז, ווו ס'האָבן נאָך געוווינט מיינע עלטערן און שוועסטער, אַז די געשטאַפאָ האָט דאָרט געגעבן אַ באַפעל: עס זאָלך קומען פינף-הונדערט יידן צו אויפרוימען די קאָשאַרן און אויב מען וועט דעם באַפעל ניט הערן, וועלן זיי אויסהרגענען אַלע יידן פון שטעטל. דער באַפעל איז אויסגעפירט געוואָרן און אַלע פינף-הונדערט יידן זיינען אָפגעפירט געוואָרן אויף אַ פליאַץ [פלאַץ] הינטערן שטאָט. מען האָט זיי

Text from page2

אויסגעשטעלט צו צען אין אַ ריי איינער הינטער די צווייטע און יעדער ריי געשאָסן מיט איין קויל – פאַרשטייט זיך אַז פון אַזאַ שיסן, זיינען דער גרעסטער טייל געווען נאָר פאַרווונדעט און אַ טייל ניט אָנגערירט, אָבער די דייטשן האָבן אויף דעם ניט געקוקט און אַלע לעבעדיקערהייט באַגראָבן. צווישן די קרבנות איז געווען מיין פאָטער און מיינע צוויי יונגע שוועסטער – 18 און 20 יאָר אַלט.

אין מערץ 1942 יאָר האָבן זיי דורכגעפירט ביי אונז אין שטעטל די ערטשע פאָרמעלע שחיטה. און גלייך נאָכדעם האָבן זיי באַדינגונגען צו גיין אין געטאָ. איך מיט מיינע קינדער זיינען אַוועק אין געטאָ. די באַדינגונגען דאָרט זיינען געווען שרעקליכע, נאָר לאַנג זיצן אויף איין אָרט האָט מען אונז ניט געלאָזט. נאָך זעקס וואָכן האָט מען מיר (צוזאַמען מיט מיינע קינדער) מיט נאָך אַ גרופע פרויען אָפגעשיקט נאָך זאַליעשטשיקי.

אָפאַרבעטנדיק אין זאַליעשטשיקי דריי מאָנאַטן איז אין סעפטעמבער 1942 יאָר געקומען אַ באַפעל, אַז דער לאַגער דאָרט מוז ווערן יידן-ריין. דאַן האָט מען אונז אָפגעשיקט נאָך טויסט. טויסט איז געווען אַ זאַמל-פונקט אויף אומברענגען יידן. און מיר זיינען פונקט געקומען אַהין, ווען דאָרט איז פאָרגעקומען אַן אויסראָטונגס- אַקציע. מיר מיט מיינע קינדער איז געלונגען זיך אויסצובאַהאַלטן. לאַנג ניט אָפרוענדיק זיך, אין אַ פאָר וואָכן אַרום – דאָס איז געווען פונקט איין טאָג נאָך שמחת-תורה – איז דאָ ווידער פאָרגעקומען אַ שחיטה, אין וועלכער עס זיינען אומגעקומען אַריבער 2000 יידן. די פאַניק אין שטאָט איז געווען אַ שרעקליכע, ווייל קיינער האָט זיך ניט פאָרגעשטעלט אַז אַזוי גיך, נאָך אַזאַ קורצער אָטעם-פויזע זאָל ווידער פאָרקומען אַ שחיטה. איך מיט מיינע קינדער און נאָך זיבן מענטשן, צוזאַמען צען מאַן, האָבן זיך אויסבאַהאַלטן אין אַ קעלער.

Text from page3

דעם ווינטער זיינען מיר פאַרבליבן אין טויסט. אָנפאַנג אין מאַי 1943 יאָר איז דאָ ווידער פאָרגעקומען אַ גרויסע שחיטה. מיין פאַמיליע, זאַלבעדריט, האָט זיך באַהאַלטן אויף אַ בוידעם און אַזוי לעבן געבליבן. ליגנדיק דאָ עטלעכע מעת-לעת האָט מיין יינגערע קינד אַזוי ווי פאַרשטאַנען די לאַגע און אַפילו קיין וואַסער ניט געבעטן.

פאַר דער צייט אויפן בוידעם האָבן מיר צוגעהערט האַרצרייסנדע געוויינען, געשרייען און הילפס-רופן. אַ סך פון די קרבנות זיינען אַנטלאָפן, נאָר די אייגענע דאָרטקיע באַפעלקערונג – די אוקראַאינער האָבן די מענטשן נאָכגעיאָגט, געשלאָגן און שפעטער , דערמאָרדעט אויף אַ שרעקליכן אופן. דאָס איבערגעבליבענע, אויסבאַהאַלטענע ביסל יידן האָט מען שפעטער צעסאָרטירט: די עלטערע האָט מען אָפגעשיקט קיין טשאָרטקאָוו, די יינגערע – אין די לאַגערן. איך מיט מיין פאַמיליע האָבן זיך ביינאַכט אַרויסגעגנבעט פון לאַגער און אַליין אַוועק קיין ליסעוויץ – זיבן קלמ. פון טויסט. זעקס וואָכן איז געווען רואיק און ווידער האָט זיך דאָ אָנגעהויבן אַ יידן- אַקציע. מיר זיינען אַנטלאָפן פון שטאָט מיט אַ גרופע מענטשן, נאָר דאָ זיינען מיר באַמערקט געוואָרן פון די דייטשן און זיי האָבן גלייך אויף אונז געעפנט אַ פייער פון מאַשין-געווער. עס זיינען באַלד ביי אונז געווען 32 קרבנות. צווישן זיי, מיין מוטער. מיין טאָכטער האָט אַ קויל געטראָפן אין פוס, נאָר מיר זיינען שוין געווען אויפן פעלד. דאָ האָבן מיר זיך באַשיצט אין די תבואה ביז נאַכט. ביינאַכט זיינען מיר מיט גרויס אָנשטרענגונג ווידער אַוועק אין טויסט. די ערשטע מעדיצינישע הילף אָט מיין טאָכטער ערטיילט – דער דאָקטער גרינבערג. און נאָר אַדאַנק דער אויסערגעוויינליכער מי פון דעם דאָקטער – איז געלונגען צו ראַטעווען דעם פוס – פאַרלוירן האָט זי בלויז די פינגער.

Text from page4

שפעטער ווען די לאַגע אין טויסט איז ווידער געוואָרן אָנגעשטרענגט - זיינען מיר ווידער אַ מאָל אַוועק קיין ליסעוועץ. דאָ אין ליסעוויץ איז נאָך געווען אַ לאַגער פון 200 יידן, וועלכע האָבן געאַרבעט ביי פעלד-אַרבעט – מענער אין די שטאַלן און פרויען אין פעלד. עסן האָבן מיר באַקומען איינמאָל אין טאָג. די אוקראַאינישע פאָליציי פלעגט זייער אָפט אָנפאַלן אויף אונזער לאַגער און מאָרדן – ווער ס'איז זיי נאָר אונטערן האַנט אונטערגעקומען. דער צו איז נאָך פון הונגער און שלעכטע לעבנס-באַדינגונגען, אויסגעבראָכן אַ טיפוס-עפידעמיע – דאָ האָבן שוין די אוקראַאינער גאָר קיינעם ניט געשוינט און יעדן קראַנק געוואָרענעם גלייך דערמאָרדעט.

קיינער האָט אויף דעם אַלעם ניט רעאַגירט, ווייל דאָס געזעץ האָט געהייסן שלאָגן יידן. דעם ערשטן מערץ 1944 יאָר, ווען די סאָוויעטישע אַרמייען זיינען געגאַנגען פאַרויס, זיינען די דייטשן און אוקרַאַאינער צוזאַמען מיט די וולאַסאָווצעס – אינגאַנצן ווילדגעוואָרן און געזייט מאָרד אויף רעכטס און אויף לינקס.

זיי האָבן געכאַפט אַ יידישע פרוי פון ווין – מאַלי – מיט אירן אַ זון און זיי געקוילעט. אַ פרוי – שעכטער – פון שטעטל – איגאָלניץ – האָבן זיי אָפגעשניטן די אויערן מיט דעם נאָז דערנאָך דערמאָרדעט, אַ טויסטער יונגנ מאַןישעיה ראָזענשטאָק האָבן זיי אָפגעהאַקט דעם קאָפ, אַ צווייטן טויסטער בחור – וואָלטשע מאַליער האָבן זיי צוגעבונדן צו אַ פערד און אים צוזאַמען מיטן פערד דערמאָרדעט, נאָך אַ טויסטער יידן אין מיטעלן-עלטער האָבן זיי צעשטאָכן מיט באַגנעטן. דעם לעצטן האָט נאָך אַן אונגאַרער יידישער דאָקטער אָפגעראַטעוועט.

Text from page5

דאָס ביסל לעבן געבליבענע יידן – אַ צוויי הונדערט, האָט מען ווידער צונויפגעזאַמלט אין טויסט אין לאַגער. אַכט טעג האָבן נאָך איבער אונז געהאַט אויפזיכט אַ גרופע עלטערער דייטשןווערמאַכט – די יונגע האָט מען צום פראָנט אָפגערופן.

דעם 23 מערץ 1944 יאָר, האָבן די סאָוויעטן אונזער געגנט באַפרייט. און קוים אַכט טעג זיינען מיר געווען מיט די סאָוויעטן, ווי די דייטשן האָבן ווידער זייער אָנגריף באַנייט און דאָס שטעטל איז נאָך אַמאָל אַריבער צו זיי.

דאַן זיינען מיר אין אַ ברענענדיקן פראָסט: אויסגעהונגערט, אויסגעמאַטערט, נאַקעט און באָרוועס אַנטלאָפן פאַר 60 קילאָמעטער אין טשערנאָוויץ. אַ סך פון אונז זיינען פאַרפרוירן געוואָרן און געבליבן אין וועג.

אין טשערנאָוויץ זיינען מיר שוין פאַרבליבן ביז ענדע קריג.


  • Updated 4 years ago
The territory of what is today the State of Israel was part of British-ruled Palestine between 1933 and 1945. When Hitler rose to power in Germany, some 60,000 Jews emigrated from the Third Reich to Palestine, while about 220,000 moved there from other countries. Before the British victory at El Alamein in Egypt in November 1942, the British feared that Palestine, like its neighbors, would be invaded by the German forces advancing from North Africa in an eastern direction. During 1942, news of t...
The collection contains approximately 2,500 testimonies of Holocaust survivors coming from different countries. The testimonies deal with the fate of the survivors during Nazi rule in their countries of origin. The testimonies were gathered by The Central Historical Commission (CHC) of the Central Committee of Liberated Jews in the U.S. Zone, Munich.